• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

tower ball room

Not me neither Fred... but I was there around that time because my future Brother in Law's sister lived at the other end of Osler St (Ickneildport Rd end) and I used to stay there after going to the Tower. I remember one night going to an Elvis Birthday night there (That would have been around 8th Jan 1965).
They played all his records and had a guy who could sing like him, we also played a few party games...
One that my friend and I took part in was 4 lads chosen by the compare had to sit on chairs placed at each corner of the dance floor, the Compare then chose 4 of us girls to sit on their laps while he played a song, when the music stopped we had to pull 4 hairs from the boys legs and the first couple up to the Compare won an Elvis LP each... Happy days and no I never got an LP that night... LOL.:)

Chris /Pom :angel:

I can remember the Tower before Mecca took it over (pre palm trees) in 1961 it was all cold and grey. I worked there in the early 80's on the cocktail bar. Many good stories then with some of the antics of the 'paying public' but too risque to mention here! We used to have some good Boxing Day events with goat curry on the menu.

i'm the one on the right of the photo and the girl i have forgotten her name or were she lived i used to meet her at the Tower and i thought it may have been someone that uses the forum. through the internet by chance i got the email address of the girl I went out with before i met the girl i married and we have been telling each other how life has pand out kids g/kids holidays just a general chat that was after 45 years, she was the one that finished it she thought we were getting to strong at that time she was the one.

Sorry Fred I was there when it was Strictly Ballroom or was it Charleston.:D

Many a good night here in the 1970s

By the mid 1970s I was unmarried again. But not looking for a new one.:)

Hello frederick, she was beautiful then and she is just the same now. We have been married over 38 years now.

Lovely Trevor she must have been the one who refused my invitation:cry:

Alf, I always found them too expensive to have more than one at a time.

dek, actually it was her who pounced, I always tell friends that she chose me and I just went along with the idea. I do actually realise what a good choice we both made after seeing so many others that we knew split up after several years of arguments and fights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stitcher,
good photos you don't see many of people inside the Tower.

we will have to watch that Alf i am glad i got their before him.

frederick, I was a doorman not a photograper but the real reason for what you commented on was a ban on us taking photos of customers ad hock. You must understand that a few of the couples dancing were lovers or whatever word you would use, but their husbands or wives were not with them. A married man out with his mistress could cause a melee if he thought you were taking his photo. There was resident photographer on most busy nights but even he would not have the crowd as a background. On the door we were a team of six, with over two thousand customers. I feel proud to know that most regulars never witnessed a fracas at any time. We did have quite a bit of trouble but it was always dealt with very quickly and profesionally.

Stitcher,
i did see the door men in action one time i was their no one hert he was quikly run out of the door backwards and didn't come back in.

Back