• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tour de France 2020 - 107th. year

but more admiration for the 40 year old Valverde........amazing !!!!
I quote : " One of the most accomplished riders of his generation, Valverde served a suspension in 2010 and 2011 after a bag of his blood, containing EPO, was DNA matched by Italian anti-doping officials who had taken a blood sample at the 2008 Tour de France. Valverde admitted nothing. He apologized for nothing. "

This guy has been caught cheating and still offers no apology. I was so sad to see him wearing the rainbow jersey.

mikeflan

master brummie
I quote : " One of the most accomplished riders of his generation, Valverde served a suspension in 2010 and 2011 after a bag of his blood, containing EPO, was DNA matched by Italian anti-doping officials who had taken a blood sample at the 2008 Tour de France. Valverde admitted nothing. He apologized for nothing. "

This guy has been caught cheating and still offers no apology. I was so sad to see him wearing the rainbow jersey.
No different to Anquetil then....if you read his book !!!

Ian Dalziel

I thought he was born in Birmingham but brought up as an 0121-er in Tamworth. For those disappointed in the lack of British entries do not despair as there are a few new riders in the pipeline.
Dan Martin is son of Neil Martin (Birchfield CC) and Maria, sister of Stephen Roche - so he has good cycling genes. In 1978, I raced against Neil in the West Smethwick Park races organised by iconic Bob Mansell who did so much to encourage Smethwick youngsters to take up cycling. Neil won, and even though he lapped me, I think I got a 6th.

Last edited:

Ian Dalziel

I remember looking very enviously in Wilsons Cycles on Aston Road...at a very lovely Raphael Geminiani frame in the 1959 sale..........queue outside early to get a free bidon...... I got some Dunlop tubs in their sale...Oh Boy they were rubbish !!! soon went back to Clements......I'd been in Germany that same year and bought Weinmann Vainquer 999 brakes very cheap indeed....smuggled them through customs coming back .....Oh the feeling that you'd got away with something ....ha ha
Wilsons - I remember it well. During that gloriously hot summer of 1959, I worked for Dunlop and they gave me a pair of No 2s, allegedly on test, but nobody ever asked me for a report. In the Wyndham RCC, we mainly rode the track, and after weeks of no rain, the grass was quite slippery. In one race, everyone fell off and the winner was the quickest to remount.

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
Wilsons - I remember it well. During that gloriously hot summer of 1959, I worked for Dunlop and they gave me a pair of No 2s, allegedly on test, but nobody ever asked me for a report. In the Wyndham RCC, we mainly rode the track, and after weeks of no rain, the grass was quite slippery. In one race, everyone fell off and the winner was the quickest to remount.
I always used Dunlops #3 had tons of them, would spend the dark winter nights fixing the bloody things for next season got pretty good with a curved needle, but sometimes Mom would help out HaHa!!

Richarddye

master brummie
I always used Dunlops #3 had tons of them, would spend the dark winter nights fixing the bloody things for next season got pretty good with a curved needle, but sometimes Mom would help out HaHa!!
oldbrit, never liked Dunlop, used Hutchinson and Avon ( I think I remember Avon giving a couple or tyres if you did well riding them) and those curved needles, always kept a few on hand! (No pun intended).

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
oldbrit, never liked Dunlop, used Hutchinson and Avon ( I think I remember Avon giving a couple or tyres if you did well riding them) and those curved needles, always kept a few on hand! (No pun intended).
We went to Europe and rode all over and I did buy some Hutchison tubs in France cheap, they lasted a little longer, but I did not feel any real difference racing on them. My Dunlops rode fine, I used #2s for the track a few times, They had #1 silks also, but never could afford them.

mikeflan

master brummie
In the one race I was in...Hill Top in West Brom...it rained nearly all through the race....my Dunlop tubs...were rather in a state of collapse when I finished as the black treads came away from the canvas they were supposed to be stuck to,....needless to say.......NEVER bought Dunlop ever again........ Clements I found were superb and used that Marque right into the late 70's...

Radiorails

master brummie
Yes,, he is not up to GC but at least he is there and in good training. After his bad crash, which would have sent many other people to the roadside as spectators or advisers, he is braving it out. Anyway it is good to see him there. Good luck to him.

mikeflan

master brummie
Have to say the Ineos team have shown so well....Tao Geoghegan Hart the Londoner might be on the podium yet !! what an astounding climb up the Stelvio by Rohan Dennis !!!! what a man, and good ride by Ganna as well......sad that Geraint dropped out with injury...... but has he done the lesser lights a favour in one way ??? they are certainly doing their best to shine you have to say.....