• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tour de France 2020 - 107th. year

Why do you bike nutters ride bikes without mudguards? Maybe it slows you down by 1000 of a second at best. ! PS, Old Brit, still looking good for an old geezer.
Much, much more than a 1000th of a second - same goes for flapping clothing. Got to be aero!! However, in response to your main point, my winter bikes have mudguards and if anybody turns up without them on a club run they are sent to the back where they won't splash everybody else.

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
It wasn't your age he was worried about....it's what you've got in that saddlebag !!! Electric Motor ??? ha ha ha......and getting spares for your Derby built Mercian....ha ha...they were so good !!!
In the back is a six pack!!

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
These are the most aero mudguards I could find for this bike ...

View attachment 148293
1x drive huh! My son in law has the same on his Ribble bike loves it. Interesting in the TDF Ineos and Jumbo bikes using RIM BRAKES!!! rest seem to have disc. I would buy a disc brake bike but at my age 87. I dont go that fast down hills anymore or uphills for that matter HaHa!!!!

mikeflan

master brummie
I thought he was born in Birmingham but brought up as an 0121-er in Tamworth. For those disappointed in the lack of British entries do not despair as there are a few new riders in the pipeline. Of course, there was always going to be a lull as the Manchester academy riders got older. However, they inspired a new generation who will come through. Don't forget there is Tom Pidcock who just won the Giro Ciclistico d'Italia, the young riders version of the Giro. Talking of which both Geraint Thomas and Simon Yates are in good form to bag that for the Brits. Simon Yates was in blistering form when recently winning the Tirreno–Adriatico.
Yes....Dan was born In Birmingham.......you're right..........and Tom Pidcock is great and I reckon great things to come from him

Radiorails

master brummie
It was great to see Ineos come to the fore yesterday, with Mike Kwiat.. getting a stage win, by a gnats anatomy ;) and Carapaz taking the KOM. It has been a hard few days in the mountains but maybe the Ineos strategy is now paying off. Hopefully the team will keep the KOM jersey; there is only a Cat. 4 today so others might try to take any points to protect the jersey if Carapaz get into trouble.
Similarly for Sam Bennett, in Green, he has a good lead and his team want to hold on to that lead.
Some names not mentioned in the last few days shoulld come to the fore with the easier stage today and the Time Trial tomorrow.
Yates is still hanging on in the top 10, he is at seventh place.

maybe the Ineos strategy is now paying off.
The reason that they won the stage was because the team leader packed it in and the rest now have a free rein - hence Luke Rowe was chasing a win in yesterday's stage. If Bernal was still in the race they would all be told to pack it in and stick with team orders. Conversely, the Sunweb team are freelancing it and with a BRITISH Directeur Sportif they are proving to be the most flamboyant and exciting to watch.

One of the sad things about Covid-19 is that fans cannot access the riders like they used to. Perhaps this will never happen again. This photograph was captured when I was talking to Geraint Thomas in the year that he won the Tour de France ....

Geraint Thomas.jpg

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
This year was one of the best I have ever seen. Everyday. something new. Great to see a 21 year old win on the time trial on the almost last day of racing. As a youngster the TDF was always my dream, Coppi and Bartali Kubler Bobet, our idols. We would kit our bike out the way the TDF did then. Photo taken in 1950 in our garden on Moat Lane, Yardley Brum The goggles and bikes we had then, now worth a bloody fortune on Ebay. Happy days thoseMe 1950 001.jpg

Radiorails

master brummie
I had hoped for a TdeF with French riders making it good, in the absence of Chris F and Geraint. It looked, initially promising.
Sepp Kuss did fine coming in at 15th. and Nielson Powless at 56.

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
This year was one of the best I have ever seen. Everyday. something new. Great to see a 21 year old win on the time trial on the almost last day of racing. As a youngster the TDF was always my dream, Coppi and Bartali Kubler Bobet, our idols. We would kit our bike out the way the TDF did then. Photo taken in 1950 in our garden on Moat Lane, Yardley Brum The goggles and bikes we had then, now worth a bloody fortune on Ebay. Happy days thoseView attachment 148332
What were your bikes any Frejus or Paris amongst them?
Bob

mikeflan

master brummie
More than happy to see Sam Bennett win Stage 21 in Paris so a yellow and the green. Great achievement.
Yes...Great to see Sam Bennett emulate Sean Kelly also from the same town of Carrick.........we've seen history of course with the young Tadej winning....so much admiration for all the guys as not many realise just how hard these races are....but more admiration for the 40 year old Valverde........amazing !!!! not long to La Vuelta and a few more crammed in...but we're lucky to be able to see them in the present situation !!!

mikeflan

master brummie
I remember looking very enviously in Wilsons Cycles on Aston Road...at a very lovely Raphael Geminiani frame in the 1959 sale..........queue outside early to get a free bidon...... I got some Dunlop tubs in their sale...Oh Boy they were rubbish !!! soon went back to Clements......I'd been in Germany that same year and bought Weinmann Vainquer 999 brakes very cheap indeed....smuggled them through customs coming back .....Oh the feeling that you'd got away with something ....ha ha