• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tour de France 2020 - 107th. year

Richarddye

master brummie
The last two days of mountain climbing certainly have shaken things up. The rankings have altered but even so we are not yet at the half way stage and a lot can change before the final ride along the Champs Élysées.
Today is a rest day - welcomed I am sure - it also means I can build those shelves in my shed that have been on the back burner.
I just read that Stage Two (6th. September 2021) of the Tour of Britain is in South Devon. I should see that as it passes through my area.
Thank you RR!

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
Jumbo and Ineos teams are showing their strength, Both teams have lots of talent I think Jumbo has an edge with a sprinter, but a long way to go yet. Adam Yates has a problem that he does not have a good team backing him but we will see. Not sure that this thread is Brum History though. Maybe Dan Martin does?

mikeflan

master brummie
We will have to see how it goes when Adam Yates joins Ineos........ Dan Martin was showing some good progress the other day and when you consider his back problem it must be giving him some aggro....and YES Dan was born in Brum 1986...but lived in Tamworth so you can feel justified supporting a Brummie...even if he did choose to ride as Irish ha ha...... let's hope the race is able to continue right through to Paris !!!!

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
We will have to see how it goes when Adam Yates joins Ineos........ Dan Martin was showing some good progress the other day and when you consider his back problem it must be giving him some aggro....and YES Dan was born in Brum 1986...but lived in Tamworth so you can feel justified supporting a Brummie...even if he did choose to ride as Irish ha ha...... let's hope the race is able to continue right through to Paris !!!!
Dan Martin when fit, can challenge with the best, He is hard rider really flogs the bike I love to watch him.

mikeflan

master brummie
His Dad was the same as I know to my cost.......every race we rode you could bet Neil would win...he was so strong so it's hardly a surprise that Dan is so good.....and with his mom being Stephen Roche's sister you gotta bet he'll give it his best as always......... it's good to see we have some Brits in there but as I'm sure you know.....the race to any 'Bikie' is just the best ..... sine Brian Robinson hit a winning stage way back...and Tom Simpson was who we read about in the 'Comic' every week....we have much to be proud of....

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
His Dad was the same as I know to my cost.......every race we rode you could bet Neil would win...he was so strong so it's hardly a surprise that Dan is so good.....and with his mom being Stephen Roche's sister you gotta bet he'll give it his best as always......... it's good to see we have some Brits in there but as I'm sure you know.....the race to any 'Bikie' is just the best ..... sine Brian Robinson hit a winning stage way back...and Tom Simpson was who we read about in the 'Comic' every week....we have much to be proud of....
Charles Holland was one the first British riders in the TDF. He was a member of my club Midland C&AC great rider. Photo is Chas Holland leading the peloton in TDF 1937 (Do you like this one Bish?) 32581628_1352998321466867_8479502586158776320_n.jpg

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
What year did you race Mike, in the Midlands?

Radiorails

master brummie
Well the last couple of days have been quite eventful with hard slogging in the mountains. For me some disappointing news was the withdrawal of Bardet due to concussion after his crash.
Yates in now in fifth place so his hard work seems to be paying off: he still has five days to achieve a podium place.

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
Well the last couple of days have been quite eventful with hard slogging in the mountains. For me some disappointing news was the withdrawal of Bardet due to concussion after his crash.
Yates in now in fifth place so his hard work seems to be paying off: he still has five days to achieve a podium place.
Plus YATES Gave it a go at one point He looks strong to me. I think Sir B Ineos should have taken Frooms and Thomas. Bernal rode to hard in the races before the TDF, I offered to help Ineos, but Sir B said something about my age!!! What a nerve Huh.89233400_10158289940538392_6001400825388204032_n (1).jpg

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
Plus YATES Gave it a go at one point He looks strong to me. I think Sir B Ineos should have taken Frooms and Thomas. Bernal rode to hard in the races before the TDF, I offered to help Ineos, but Sir B said something about my age!!! What a nerve Huh.View attachment 148243
What a pleasure to see someone with their feet in the right place on the pedals, so many people on our local walking/cycling ex railway line have got the pedals either under the bridge of their feet or worse still they are using their heels. Was this photo taken the day the temperature was 35degs or 1deg, that was Denver I think recently.

Bob

Smudger

master brummie
Plus YATES Gave it a go at one point He looks strong to me. I think Sir B Ineos should have taken Frooms and Thomas. Bernal rode to hard in the races before the TDF, I offered to help Ineos, but Sir B said something about my age!!! What a nerve Huh.View attachment 148243
Why do you bike nutters ride bikes without mudguards? Maybe it slows you down by 1000 of a second at best. ! PS, Old Brit, still looking good for an old geezer.

mikeflan

master brummie
It wasn't your age he was worried about....it's what you've got in that saddlebag !!! Electric Motor ??? ha ha ha......and getting spares for your Derby built Mercian....ha ha...they were so good !!!

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
What a pleasure to see someone with their feet in the right place on the pedals, so many people on our local walking/cycling ex railway line have got the pedals either under the bridge of their feet or worse still they are using their heels. Was this photo taken the day the temperature was 35degs or 1deg, that was Denver I think recently.

Bob
No the temp was in the 50s that day, but we have had 90s then 40s the next day that what living at 5200f+ does. We can have 6" sone one day the in the 60s the ext and it all goes. By the way after riding and racing for all these years riding becomes second nature to me, all the things I was taught about the correct way to pedal etc paid off.

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
Darn Mike you gave it way :cool:
I visited Mercian In Derby England in 2003. That is why I had them build this frame and forks for me. This is a one off, no other bike like it anywhere, custom made and finished in RED WHITE AND BLUE with the famous barber pole on seat tube to MY Specs, The shop is closed now, but they are still building bikes great BRITISH COMPANY Proud to ride it every day in Parker Colorado USA , Photo with Full British kit!! HaHa 61336195_1825362257563802_4528094641903370240_n.jpg

Radiorails

master brummie
Stage 17 will start very shortly. But one GC rider will not be in it. Bernal has withdrawn from the race, being 19 minutes behind the race leader (Roglich). He says he is disapointed and will return for another Tour. I am not so sure about that. I guess it might depend on the Vuelta or any of the few races still to come in 2020 that he may participate in.

Dan Martin is from Tamworth
I thought he was born in Birmingham but brought up as an 0121-er in Tamworth. For those disappointed in the lack of British entries do not despair as there are a few new riders in the pipeline. Of course, there was always going to be a lull as the Manchester academy riders got older. However, they inspired a new generation who will come through. Don't forget there is Tom Pidcock who just won the Giro Ciclistico d'Italia, the young riders version of the Giro. Talking of which both Geraint Thomas and Simon Yates are in good form to bag that for the Brits. Simon Yates was in blistering form when recently winning the Tirreno–Adriatico.