• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tour de France 2020 - 107th. year

Radiorails

master brummie
Today saw the start in Nice, Côte d'Azur, of the 107th. Tour de France. Due to Covid it has started around two months later than usual and will finish, in Paris, on Sunday 20th. September. There are those who will regard that finish as a miracle.
The weather did not live up to the areas reputation it rained for most of the time. That caused a few spills and one or two of the favourites were involved in the crashes. Fortunately the crashes were at low speeds - relative to the high speeds that the cyclists can achieve downhill - so, I gather, no serious injuries or abandonments.

This is a link to the English pages:

Last edited:

Richarddye

master brummie
Today saw the start in Nice, Côte d'Azur, of the 107th. Tour de France. Due to Covid it has started around two months later than usual and will finish, in Paris, on Sunday 20th. September. There are those who will regard that finish as a miracle.
The weather did not live up to the areas reputation it rained for most of the time. That caused a few spills and one or two of the favourites were involved in the crashes. Fortunately the crashes were at low speeds - relative to the high speeds that the cyclists can achieve downhill - so, I gather, no serious injuries or abandonments.

This is a link to the English pages:
RR, thank you.........great video!

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oldbrit, not only none from Brum but a lack of British riders.
Some of the favourites not made the grade, although they will be in the Giro and the Vualta.
I love all 3 races, for the scenery as well as the racing.
My favourites this year Primoz Roglic or Julian Alaphilippe , it would be great if Adam Yates won but I don't think he will.

Roger Blower

proper brummie kid
Early days yet. First rain in the south of France for a long time apparently and the roads were like ice!! Glad they were being sensible and slowed down the descents. Also fancy Roglic for a win.

Radiorails

master brummie
Connor Swift sits at 18th. overall, he is a UK rider but not a UK team.

Those not living in the UK may be interested to read how to watch Le Tour, if their tv stations do not transmit it.

Radiorails

master brummie
Despite my optimism yesterday three did not start today's (2nd.) stage. Degenkolb (Ger) crossed the line yesterday, but outside the time limit. Two riders did not start, Gilbert (Belg) has a broken kneecap and Valls (Esp.) has a broken femur.
All that on the first day!.
Hopefully next month will be kinder weather, but as the race is much later than usual I guess weather - rather than heat - may be a major factor.

Richarddye

master brummie
Some of the favourites not made the grade, although they will be in the Giro and the Vualta.
My favourites this year Primoz Roglic or Julian Alaphilippe , it would be great if Adam Yates won but I don't think he will.
Alberta, I also love the scenery since I know very few of the riders. Disappointed at the lack of British riders!

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
They asked me to fill in for Froome but I told them I was not in shape this year HaHa I had a dream once turned into a blodynightmarre!!!64260559_1857640427669318_1171500918949019648_n.png

Radiorails

master brummie
Perez (Fra) has a broken collarbone due to his collision with his team car and is out of the race it seems. A shame as he was in the KOM lead.
However we re only just at the 4th. stage, which dur to a Category 1 climb at the finish may cause some hopes to e dashed.
It is, for UK folk, hard to know who to root for as the principal favourites - Froome, Thomas and Cavendish not there. I followed Alaphillipe last year and he has got of to a good start again this year (in Yellow at present) and UK Yates is in good form, now in 2nd. place.
Ozzies will be pleased with Ewan's performanace as Stage Winner yesterday.
Old Brit will be happy with Sepp Kuss, 40th. but that is only 2 mins. 24 secs. behind the leader.

I know this info is freely available in the UK but for those outside the UK the info may be hard to find due to regional restrictions.

mikeflan

master brummie
Dan Martin is from Tamworth, although claiming to be Irish by his mother (Stephen Roche's sister) but Dan is suffering from an injury picked up from a previous event, his dad was Neil Martin who rode for Birchfield and also a brilliant rider ..... Froome will be off to another team shortly so maybe he's not too committed to his present sponsor....

Richarddye

master brummie
Perez (Fra) has a broken collarbone due to his collision with his team car and is out of the race it seems. A shame as he was in the KOM lead.
However we re only just at the 4th. stage, which dur to a Category 1 climb at the finish may cause some hopes to e dashed.
It is, for UK folk, hard to know who to root for as the principal favourites - Froome, Thomas and Cavendish not there. I followed Alaphillipe last year and he has got of to a good start again this year (in Yellow at present) and UK Yates is in good form, now in 2nd. place.
Ozzies will be pleased with Ewan's performanace as Stage Winner yesterday.
Old Brit will be happy with Sepp Kuss, 40th. but that is only 2 mins. 24 secs. behind the leader.

I know this info is freely available in the UK but for those outside the UK the info may be hard to find due to regional restrictions.
RR, very much appreciated!

Radiorails

master brummie
Nice sunny day in Southern France 24C. Yates is over 6 minutes behind the peloton so has theoretically lost his yellow jersey. However there is some way to go and it is pretty flat until around the last 40km.
Old Brit may know of Neilson Powless. It is his 24th. birthday today and has the distinction of being the first Native American to ride in Le Tour.

An earlier participant and yellow jersey stage winner, in 1957, Antonin Rolland has a birthday as well. He is 96 today. Le Tour will pass through his area on Stage 15, on 13th. September. I guess he will be there to see it.

Last edited:

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not happy that Adam takes the jersey and neither is he, he said he would rather win it.
I don't know how far into the 20km from the finish Alaphilippe took the bottle, but what on earth was a helper doing offering it anyway.
Nice for Ireland that Bennett took the green 31 years after the last Irish rider Sean Kelly.

mikeflan

master brummie
Despite the feelings that you may not be happy with Adam Yates taking the jersey......that's life...and these people are professionals and professional racing director sportifs too...... so they shouldn't be telling Alaphillipe over his radio to be taking a drink in a forbidden section.....the helper obviously obeying orders !!!!! I know the announcements even today were being shifted about before the race.....maybe they have Boris organising it ???

Radiorails

master brummie
Well the birthday boy - the one racing that is - did a great job for himself and his team by coming fourth.

mikeflan

master brummie
Yes...a fourth place is a nice Birthday celebration.....and Alaphillipe chased down a one second benefit...always a fighter Julian and always ready to fight another day, it was his cousin that handed him that drink yesterday and the DS admitted they'd done wrong ....as Julian said....Rules are rules and you have to abide by them....but no doubts Julian will be fighting to get those seconds back .....

Radiorails

master brummie
The last two days of mountain climbing certainly have shaken things up. The rankings have altered but even so we are not yet at the half way stage and a lot can change before the final ride along the Champs Élysées.
Today is a rest day - welcomed I am sure - it also means I can build those shelves in my shed that have been on the back burner.
I just read that Stage Two (6th. September 2021) of the Tour of Britain is in South Devon. I should see that as it passes through my area.