• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Top rank suite night club

yes the top rank in the 60s was a fantastic club on a saturday night the res band was called the joe ward band it was packed every sat night would leave about 2am then go to the eastern moon for a curry . they started putting on a few soul bands in the late 60s

ben e king , isley brothers , johnny johnson and the bandwagon great times

2 things i remember about the top rank

1 from time to time the drains would smell like hell and they would plash smellys around the entrance

2 if a bird didn't fancy you she could go into the toilets downstairs and come out upstair and leave you sitting there like a lemon

Hi Folks, on New Years Eve 1969 fate took a hand - me and my mate couldn't get into our usual destination Le Metro so it was Plan B - Top Rank, when I met my future wife, I couldn't have known it at the time but it was a master stroke that I kept the entry ticket stub (I'd written my intended's tel no. on the back) so now if I'm in debit on the old brownie points account (which is most of the time) I just produce my old ticket and say, "Here's my old ticket from the dance when we met, where's yours?"
Regards,
Peg.
Top Rank.jpg Top Rank Ticket.jpg

Does anyone remember the Top rank night club in town?, used to go there in the seventies. Also a small club, think it was called Sloopys.
I remember going the Top Rank Saturday morning disco, about 1973. I would have been 10 at the time. There was a mad rush in the queue outside to get in, and I was squashed up the wall...I was crying my eyes out! All was forgotten once inside, dancing to 'Hey there lonely Girl' . Happy days haha.

The Top Rank was the only place I got stood up, made a date with the girl I was dancing with on the Thursday evening to meet following Saturday evening. I was pretty certain she said yes just to get rid of me, but like the fire brigade turning out to a shout they're 99% sure is a hoax, you just have to turn up!
Still, her loss - doesn't know what she missed, she would have been treated like a princess!
Ah well! That's life.

Regards,
Peg.

I used the West End in the 60's , as a fine upstanding member of the mod following it was taboo for us to use there , so it was a no go area for me also . When the West End ceased to function , The Top Rank Suite opened, supposedly as a the be all and end all after the WE , what a waste of time that turned out to be . That left only The Whisky and The Locarno , I got married in 1970 , after which the dance venues stopped
I used to love the Top Rank, every time I hear Green Onions, I can see myself walking in there!

The Top Rank was the only place I got stood up, made a date with the girl I was dancing with on the Thursday evening to meet following Saturday evening. I was pretty certain she said yes just to get rid of me, but like the fire brigade turning out to a shout they're 99% sure is a hoax, you just have to turn up!
Still, her loss - doesn't know what she missed, she would have been treated like a princess!
Ah well! That's life.

Regards,
Peg.
I never had that, usually I got a flat out no :cool: . I did like the West End Locarno and the Plaza!

Back