• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Top chip shop

christopher short

Birmingham Post
I'm sure this topic may have been done, but I'm talking about the chip shops at a time when curry sauce, fancy sausages, pies and mushy peas were unheard of. All you could get was a piece of cod (or plaice if it was payday) and a six of chips. Salt from a large aluminium shaker and the vinegar from a heavy bottle with frosted glass.
Wrapped in the Daily Sketch or the Evening Despatch. It was a cheap meal in those days.
Our nearest chip shop was owned by Mr. Mathews and was on a corner of Deykin Avenue (Witton) opposite the old air raid shelter and advertising boards. It was like walking into his front room. Sadly, he overheated the fat one day and the old place burned down.
In later years I discovered the Villa chip shop in Manor Road that did the most amazing fresh roe as did a chip shop in Longbridge which I found on my way home from somewhere late one evening.

That was my local fish and chip shop in Manor rd as we only lived in Holte rd. I dont think you can beat Beddows though cant say just were it is but you pass it on the way to b'ham airport going from town, they are still there and they only open certain days, you can eat in or take away smashing

The Search for The Holy Grail of Perfect Fish and Chips.......I have found some good ones but the search continues. I mean ,what happens when you find the perfect ones ?

I'm sure this topic may have been done, but I'm talking about the chip shops at a time when curry sauce, fancy sausages, pies and mushy peas were unheard of. All you could get was a piece of cod (or plaice if it was payday) and a six of chips. Salt from a large aluminium shaker and the vinegar from a heavy bottle with frosted glass.
Wrapped in the Daily Sketch or the Evening Despatch. It was a cheap meal in those days.
Our nearest chip shop was owned by Mr. Mathews and was on a corner of Deykin Avenue (Witton) opposite the old air raid shelter and advertising boards. It was like walking into his front room. Sadly, he overheated the fat one day and the old place burned down.
In later years I discovered the Villa chip shop in Manor Road that did the most amazing fresh roe as did a chip shop in Longbridge which I found on my way home from somewhere late one evening.

You are quite right Chris it was started in 2003 by John Houghton

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78&page=19&highlight=fish+shops

Remember always look in the SEARCH Box top right on the main page there is a good chance what you are looking for and it will save time. Well there is over 23000

Remember Chris always look in the SEARCH box on the main page because there are over 23,000 threads there and a good chance some other member has spoken about what you are looking for over the years.
How to you think I find them

Back