• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tooth Family

AlanBCFC1875

Brummie babby
Hi there

My name is Alan and I am a newbie on here. I have started to try and trace my family name and I am wondering if there is anyone on here or who may know someone that shares the same surname as me...

My fathers name is Jeffery Alan Tooth b.1951 and his dads name was Frederick Tooth b.1902 D.1991 and his mothers name was Ivy Winifred Tooth ( Was Berry ) b.1912 D. 1985.

If anyone knows anything please feel fee to message me..

Kind regards

Alan

I knew a Tooth family who lived in Dorridge back in 1978. Not sure if they are still about as not lived there for almost 30 years.

Hello Alan, a long shot I know but my mother worked with a lady named Ivy Tooth way back in the 1950s, they worked at Groves factory in Musgrave Rd Winson Green and she lived I think in Devonshire Avenue. The family left there in the late 50s to Number 83 Denham Road Acocks Green. lost contact after that as I went in the army in 58. I also know a lady, Betty Tooth that was married to William Tooth. I will ask her when I see her, maybe she can help. Good Luck.
Clive

Just out of the top of my head I remember my late mother referring to a "Winnie Tooth".

I will ask my aunt, who is around 80 years old, if she knows to whom my mother was referring.

All the best Peter

Hi Clive

Thanks for taking the time to reply.... Denham Road rings a bell, I'll ask my dad tomorrow about that and also about the Groves factory in Musgrave Road........

Thanks once again for taking the time to reply.....

Kind regards

Alan

Hi Peter

Thanks that would be a great help if you could ask. Much appreciated...

Kind regards

Alan
Just out of the top of my head I remember my late mother referring to a "Winnie Tooth".

I will ask my aunt, who is around 80 years old, if she knows to whom my mother was referring.

All the best Peter

Hello again Clive

I have spoke with my dad and he remembers Groves Factory and is pretty sure that his mom Ivy worked there in the late 50's. And the address that you mentioned is indeed the address that my dad lived at. I asked about Betty Tooth and William Tooth but he don't recall those names....

I don't mean to come across as cheeky but would your mother be able to remember what Ivy's mom and dad were called or even Frederick's mom and dads name etc. I would be most grateful of this information, I have asked my family and sadly none can remember......

Once again thanks for replying to my original message and I hope to hear from you again soon.

Kind regards

Alan

Hello Alan, a long shot I know but my mother worked with a lady named Ivy Tooth way back in the 1950s, they worked at Groves factory in Musgrave Rd Winson Green and she lived I think in Devonshire Avenue. The family left there in the late 50s to Number 83 Denham Road Acocks Green. lost contact after that as I went in the army in 58. I also know a lady, Betty Tooth that was married to William Tooth. I will ask her when I see her, maybe she can help. Good Luck.
Clive

Alan Lizzie Barnes is researching the Tooth family and a Brian Tooth is mentioned. I have a photo of him and his wife. I will try and find the thread it is on for you. Jean. Oh. Welcome to the forum.

Hi Jean

Thanks, that would be most grateful... And thanks for the welcome..... :)

Alan Lizzie Barnes is researching the Tooth family and a Brian Tooth is mentioned. I have a photo of him and his wife. I will try and find the thread it is on for you. Jean. Oh. Welcome to the forum.

I can't find the thread at the moment but will keep trying. It may have been Lizzy Baker who was researching the family and I have e.mailed both so fingers crossed. I think their's was a Brian Anthony Tooth but may be mistaken but I do have the photo and will post it later. Kind regards. Jean.i

This is a photo of one of the Tooth family but will have to wait for one of the Lizzies to put the correct name to him. Jean.

Last edited:
Hi Jean

the attached image that you sent, I cannot open it for some unknown reason... Please could you send it again ?

Kind Regards

Alan
This is a photo of one of the Tooth family but will have to wait for one of the Lizzies to put the correct name to him. Jean.

Have re-sized it Alan. I will get in tough with Astonian as he has some history of the Tooth family.

Hi there i knew a Ronnie Tooth lived in Wilton Street Lozells, he had a sister who moved to cannock, Ronnie lived with his mother all his life, Ronnie would have been in his late 80s now

Clive that is where the Tooth family my friend knew lived. He worked as a mechanic in a local garage. Jean.

Hi there

My name is Alan and I am a newbie on here. I have started to try and trace my family name and I am wondering if there is anyone on here or who may know someone that shares the same surname as me...

My fathers name is Jeffery Alan Tooth b.1951 and his dads name was Frederick Tooth b.1902 D.1991 and his mothers name was Ivy Winifred Tooth ( Was Berry ) b.1912 D. 1985.

Kind regards

Alan

Hi Alan
I had an Aunt Mavis Peters nee Tooth she a Brother Brian, they lived in Kingstanding.

Malta.

Have contacted Lizzy Bakar Lizzy and Sandra. Sandra is very interested and has time for more research now. Jean. xx

Hello again Alan, I'm afraid I cant ask my mother anything any more she passed away over 20 years ago. Anyway when mom and Ivy worked together at Grove's factory I was still at school and during the school holidays I used to go to Ivy's house to be looked after by her children as they were older than me, strange thing is I cant remember any of thier names. I did visit the house in Denham Rd a few times, I used to go on my bike which was a fair jaunt from Winson Green. I havent seen betty Tooth yet but I should see her on Thursday night. Clive
Hello again Clive

I have spoke with my dad and he remembers Groves Factory and is pretty sure that his mom Ivy worked there in the late 50's. And the address that you mentioned is indeed the address that my dad lived at. I asked about Betty Tooth and William Tooth but he don't recall those names....

I don't mean to come across as cheeky but would your mother be able to remember what Ivy's mom and dad were called or even Frederick's mom and dads name etc. I would be most grateful of this information, I have asked my family and sadly none can remember......

Once again thanks for replying to my original message and I hope to hear from you again soon.

Kind regards

Alan

Hi Clive

Sorry about your mother i didn't realise.... Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. The kids that used to look after you were most likely Doreen and Jean, the boys were Terry, Rodger and Jeff (My dad).

Hello again Alan, I'm afraid I cant ask my mother anything any more she passed away over 20 years ago. Anyway when mom and Ivy worked together at Grove's factory I was still at school and during the school holidays I used to go to Ivy's house to be looked after by her children as they were older than me, strange thing is I cant remember any of thier names. I did visit the house in Denham Rd a few times, I used to go on my bike which was a fair jaunt from Winson Green. I havent seen betty Tooth yet but I should see her on Thursday night. Clive

Yes I remember now all the names you mentioned flicked a switch. If you see them ask them if they remember me or my mom her name was Nellie Roach
Best wishes Clive
Hi Clive

Sorry about your mother i didn't realise.... Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. The kids that used to look after you were most likely Doreen and Jean, the boys were Terry, Rodger and Jeff (My dad).

Ok I have managed to get some information about my Nans (Ivy Winifred Tooth) mother and brother and sisters.

Elanor Berry (Nee Abberley) Born 17/06/1889. Died 1989 ( My Great Nan )
Ivy Winifred Tooth (Nee Berry) Born 01/05/1912. Died 1985 ( My Nan )
Muriel Edna Larkin ( Nee Berry ) Born 17/11/1926 ( My Aunt )
Margie Robinson ( Nee Berry ) Born 1st/2nd/07/1924 ( My Aunt )
Norman John Berry Born ??.. Died 2010 ( My Uncle )
Clive Daniel Berry Born ??.. Died 1989 ??? ( My Uncle )
William (Bill) Berry Born ??.. Died 1982 ?? ( My Uncle )

Does anyone recognize these names ???

Kind Regards

Alan

Hi there

Kind regards

Alan

I have spoken to my aunt who is 82, and come up with the following info. It may be of use in the process of illimination.

My aunt remembers a family called Tooth that were Catholics, and went to the Sacred Heart Church and School. They may have lived in Grange Road close to the Church.

There was a Julia Tooth who would have been around the same age as my aunt. She had two sisters, ane called Irene about 5 years older, and the one that my mother refered to as "Winnie Tooth" who would have probably have been born before 1918.

All the best Peter

HI Jean;
thanks fr cntacting me only just picked it up as i have been in manchester this wek end just got back
and i emediately thought of our sandra being with george more than me she would recall the mother better than me
and yes you are on track with the same family the lads used to wear silver crosses around there necks
frankie had a big cross around his neck and they attended st patricks hope you are keeping well you and pete of course
speak to you soon ; alan astonian by the way i think the book mandy is looking for was the back to back houses in birmingham
either the 1920 or the thirtys or the slum back to back of hose eras i am stll searching it myself
waterstones in worcestershire had closed down so its back to the drawing board for me take care for now alan astonian

Thanks Alan am meeting up with Sandra sometime this week and will get as much info about her Tooth family as I can. Hope you are well too. Will pass the message on regards Lichfield road. TTFN. Jean.

Hiya Alan. I know a Dave Tooth, see him every day when delivering to our Depot in Stoke-on-Trent. Got to spread your search ah! Reg.

hi reg ;
i would be vey surprized indeed if this dave was related still one never knows i do not recall a david tooth
from my experiences and knowlege of old toothie as we called him my dear old friend george whom is no longer with us
but the lady jean as mentioned sandra was a very close friend of mine and his family was close to the toothies
also georges sisrer joyce my friends sister evennew the one as she was courting with them way back in the late fifties and sixties
and the early seventies we was all close friends and lived virtualy in each others house
tempus futues time flyes reg ; as you know they may be cousins or some kind of relatives to these toothies
have a nice day reg; best wishes astonian

Hello Astonian. Strangely!! No one at work calls him Dave. Its always "Toothie" nice to hear from you again. Reg.

Back