• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Too late its gone

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
To the people on Birmingham Planning Committee
I just want to say, what the hell have you done to our City
You stole all our landmarks like thieves in the night
You daint even ask us, now I just don't think that's right
You've done more damage than two world wars
The decisions you made were totally yours
You altered the Centre and tore it apart
You removed its spirit and ripped out its heart
Wheres all the treasures and statues we knew
They are gone forever and its all down to you
You cannot rest easy in bed as your sleeping
The sounds that awake you are our ancestors weeping
Its us Brummies who keep you in your jobs of high power
As we expect more of you, your standards get lower
There are not many old buildings to preserve and retain
But we'll keep on fighting till we make Brum a great City again.

Last edited:
    Postie, how true what you say. the lovely old buildings that I knew as a child have gone forever, cast to the mists of time and old photographs. :'( Shame on the council and those who let it happen, :-[ even right back to the 60's when the first building I noticed being destroyed was the old orphanage, Sir Josiah Masons, in Erdington. Can you imagine the cities of Rome or Vienna or Venice committing such disasteries?  Neither can I

:angel: Well said both of you.
The same has happened in NZ, Some really old buildings modeled on old English style structures have been demolished and concrete / Glass monstrosities put up in their place.
Shows how sad it is because I heard an architect saying the other day, that when he was fresh out of collage he was responsible for having some of the buildings removed in the eighties and now that he's older and wiser he wished he never suggested it.
too late now though they are gone forever.

Chris :angel:

Yes, the same things happen in Australia unfortunately. Future generations will mourn the loss of history.

I think that this quote from an article "Landrights" by D Carne
fits this poem well.

Quote.

To many whites see themselves as like the Good Samaritan,coming to help the
Aborigines, but in ways determined by themselves. Unquote.

Robert

Back