• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tony Hancock

Big Gee

master brummie
Unless I'm totally up the creek here, I can't find any mention of Tony Hancock in the Famous Brummies thread, or whatever it is, yet wasn't he born in Hall Green?

Big Gee

Hi

very interesting Big Gee I agree I havent seen a thread
on Tony.
Possibly the greatest TV comic. His humour was Classic
I cant remember any stupid jokes no bad Language never
smiled or laughed at his own jokes.
His Radio performances were equal to his TV programmes.

Mike Jenks

Hi

Well done Alf Top man. Should have checked.
Own Goal Although the Bllues had a good win
at Cardiff.

Mike Jenks

Well, I've checked 'Search' and also Alf's link, but came up with nothing about The Lad Himself. So whasser matter wid me computer???

Just out of interest, my old boss used to live in Hancock's Hall Green house, way back when.

If anyone is interested, I could post a copy of Hancock's Last Monologue, which makes rather sad reading...

Big Gee

Unless I'm totally up the creek here, I can't find any mention of Tony Hancock in the Famous Brummies thread, or whatever it is, yet wasn't he born in Hall Green?

Big Gee

Tony's mother remarried into the name of Sennet and lived near here at Parley Cross north Bouremouth. Lou Dalby.

Tony Hancock was born in Southam Road, Hall Green - I used to walk past the house on my way to the shops in Hall Green Parade. I seem to remember there was a blue plaque on the front of the house.

Anthea.

Well, I've checked 'Search' and also Alf's link, but came up with nothing about The Lad Himself. So whasser matter wid me computer???

Just out of interest, my old boss used to live in Hancock's Hall Green house, way back when.

If anyone is interested, I could post a copy of Hancock's Last Monologue, which makes rather sad reading...

Big Gee

Here's another
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hancock

Hello Alf,

This time your link worked! Thanks very much - I've seen the Wikipedia entry for Hancock before, but well worth another read. What a complex, and rather sad man he was.

A couple of years ago my wife bought three videos of some of Hancock's very early TV shows, mostly with Hattie Jacques and Sid James. I'm ashamed to say so, but I didn't find them all that funny any more, apart from one or two scenes. Maybe it's just me, but I think that a lot of his humour belonged to his particular generation, and it's not worn well. But that doesn't mean to say that Hancock wasn't a genius in his own right, which he certainly was.

I was just about to post a link to Hancock's Last Monologue, written not long before he died, but I think I must have deleted it for some reason! I've got a copy on my wall, which I'll scan and post when I get round to it.

Big Gee

Cannot resist this one,my Uncle Bernard was in the same class as Tony Hancock at grammer school in Birmingham.
Barb

Tony must have had a long way to travel to school then, he and his family moved to Bournemouth when he was 2 - his father, John (Jack) Hancock, bought the Railway Hotel there.
John and Lucie Lillian Hancock lived until then at 41 Southam Road, Hall Green, where Tony was born, and Cuthbert William Hancock and Caroline Mary Hancock (were they relatives??) lived at no.59, "Clovelley".

There you are Sleepybarb,
Hancock was born in Hall Green, Birmingham, England,[1] but from the age of three was brought up in Bournemouth where his father, John Hancock, who ran the Railway Hotel in Holdenhurst Road, worked as a comedian and entertainer.
After his father's death in 1934, Tony and his brothers lived with their mother and stepfather at a small hotel then known as The Durlston Court (now renamed The Quality Hotel). He was educated at Durlston Court Preparatory School, a boarding school at Durlston in Swanage and Bradfield College in Reading, but left school at the age of fifteen.

Thank you Lloyd

Tony's parents, John Hancock and Lucie Lilian nee Thomas (born 4th quarter 1890, Aston vol 6d page 193), married in the 3rd quarter of 1914 (Aston, vol 6d page 839).
Colin W Hancock birth registered 2nd quarter 1918 (Aston, v 6d p 625)
Anthony J Hancock birth registered 2nd quarter 1924 (Kings Norton v 6d p 231)
I can't find the younger brother, or decide which of 2 John Hancock's is his father, one born 1887 the other 1890.

Sorry folks,Alf you are such a wonderful diplomat.It goes to show you should not always take at face value family urban myths! sadly I cannot tell Mum she was wrong.
Barb

I went to look for his house - but couldn't find it - noticed later i parked my car by a house with a post box outside -duh!!!
41southam.jpg

Tony's parents, John Hancock and Lucie Lilian nee Thomas (born 4th quarter 1890, Aston vol 6d page 193), married in the 3rd quarter of 1914 (Aston, vol 6d page 839).
Colin W Hancock birth registered 2nd quarter 1918 (Aston, v 6d p 625)
Anthony J Hancock birth registered 2nd quarter 1924 (Kings Norton v 6d p 231)
I can't find the younger brother, or decide which of 2 John Hancock's is his father, one born 1887 the other 1890.

Maybe it was Colin who was a Pilot Officer in the RAF Volunteer Reserve, He was posted " Missing Presumed Dead " in September 1942. He's details are on the War Graves site.
COLIN William Hancock 269 Sqn died 01/09/1942 Runnymede Memerial Panel 69

Last edited:
I lived at 51 Southam road when first married in 1972. The road is split by Cole Bank rd with one part running into Green Lane the part i lived in and the half ran into Sahrole rd the part Tony Hancock was born.

This is just recreating the scriptwriters' work, not Tony's. Good or bad? Have to wait to hear it to see, it depends if the new cast try to copy Tony or play it their own way. Personally I think the latter option is the way to go.

Back