• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tony Butler

wessex

master brummie
butler_wm_203_203x152.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Butler

He's mentioned on here in connection with other folks,but I really do think he's famous enough to have a thread to himself.

Quite a radio pioneer in his day,and quite a survivor.

Hi

Yes Tony Butler. Perhaps the foundling Father of Football
Chat shows. He could make the 3 hours sound like a cup
Final. The sound of a goal at the ground if it was your
team made an afternoon.
Very outspoken but a brilliant entertainer. You either
loved him or hated him.
Worth a footprint in broad street knighthood etc etc
a true servant to the Midlands.
Im clearly in the minority again PC problem.

Mike Jenks

Sorry Folks......but I have to disagree.....he isn't famous....he ain't known outside of the midlands.....and what he knew about football you could write on a back of a postage stamp with a 5 inch paint brush......you can see from my posting that I dislike him, and that Aussie Ed Doolan also leg-ends in their own minds....

What about

Martin Barre, David Pegg, Barrie Barlow all played in the rock group Jethro Tull....ALL known around the World...not just Birmingham...

Roy Wood...another, Ann Jones (Tennis Player) don't know if she is on the walk or not......in fact I don't know who is.....,

There has to be many more famous Brummies.....than people that sit behind a microphone on radio or the telly....people that have done real things in their life......sorry but people like Tony Butler, Les Ross, Ed doolan etc are ten a penny ain't worth crossing the road for.....but that is my opinion.....

Quite right Doris
Its your opinion and there must be plenty more like you.

another JOKER on w m is Phil Upton on holiday at the mo but still have his stupid jingle on THE HOME OF thats enough
robb

Sorry Folks......but I have to disagree.....he isn't famous....he ain't known outside of the midlands.....and what he knew about football you could write on a back of a postage stamp with a 5 inch paint brush......you can see from my posting that I dislike him, and that Aussie Ed Doolan also leg-ends in their own minds....

What about

Martin Barre, David Pegg, Barrie Barlow all played in the rock group Jethro Tull....ALL known around the World...not just Birmingham...

Roy Wood...another, Ann Jones (Tennis Player) don't know if she is on the walk or not......in fact I don't know who is.....,

There has to be many more famous Brummies.....than people that sit behind a microphone on radio or the telly....people that have done real things in their life......sorry but people like Tony Butler, Les Ross, Ed doolan etc are ten a penny ain't worth crossing the road for.....but that is my opinion.....

He's famous enough to make you start ranting and raving on lol.And as for the others why not post them yourself? Then I can rant and rave about how Borre...sorry Barre ruined the Tull sound by making it much heavier...my gawd the end is nigh,a post about a heavy guitarist unknown outside the world of one legged bearded flute players,oh and those with a fetish to follow bands where the lead singer has a catweazel fetish.

Heehee

I actually only posted it because I was researching something,and his name cropped up,quick search showed he's not in here,and as this is a brummy forum,he's certainly quite famous in the midlands,especially with the older types who frequent here...so....

To be honest I had forgot all about Tony Bulter.....until your posting.....when I saw the name Butler...I thought it was the lad out of Black Sabbath......

There are in fact so many semi famous and indeed fully famous people not up there yet.We really should try to fill this section ourselves.Just the search doesn't always work so well if you put common names into it.

As most of us know that Tony Butler has now retired from BBC WM
He can now be found every Friday evening on Gold football show
with Tom Ross , i think 6pm to 7pm .
ragga .........

To be honest I had forgot all about Tony Bulter.....until your posting.....when I saw the name Butler...I thought it was the lad out of Black Sabbath......

Well in that case Doris I do take it all back...must have been complete torture to remember that obnoxious creature after you'd thought you'd completely forgotten about him lol.

Just because they're famous doesn't mean they're nice.

l think it's a shame Tony Butler has left BBC WM..........Yep its a bigger shame he didn't take Joanne Malin, Phil Upton and Danny Kelly with him. These 'Legends in their own Lunchtimes' could pool their resources and make a program showcasing their 'Unique Talents'......Oops perhaps not, l seem to remember The Muppets was made under copyright.
Never mind, maybe someone at the BBC might eventualy 'Find the Plot' and revert WM back to entertainment, news and local events rather than the sad personal self promoting soapbox it has become.
However.......l still listen on sundays for a few hrs to Carl Chinn and Bev Bevan, at least when they talk about themselves it's entertainment not self praise and endless ego.
Flash.

loved tony butler...thanks for telling where he can now be found ragga...i won a mug about 12 year ago on his radio programme..still in the original packaging..must hunt it out..im sure its got tonys pic on it....

lyn...

Not being a football fan I didn't care much for Tony Butler either, HOWEVER I am aware that his enthusiasm for the game was much appreciated by many fans of the sport, the bits of his programmes I did hear showed how much he did for them and how he encouraged the banter and discussion (like on here!) about what was going on in football at the time.

Tonly Butler has been around forever. I for one would not like to get into a debate with him about football. Love his quizes which we have listened to in the car and never got one right yet. Good on yer Tony. Jean.

Hi Lloyd, sorry l seem to have mistaken this enthusiasm for football for ranting, raving and shouting down anyone who disagreed with him.
However l have seen the same enthusiasm for banter and debate about what was going on in football at the time having to be controlled by mounted police as it spilled out of the football ground and into the street. Seems to be a popular apres match hobby during the season, in fact lots of fans travel many miles to do this on a regular basis.
As this must boost the tourism statistics for Birmingham l must concede to your argument.
flash

Personally I put up with him as after a match it was the only way you'd get some info.Like him or not he was there,and often speaking to players etc.

Funniest one I remember was interviewing Noel Blake after he'd head butted Steve McMahon of the Villa.Tony asked why did you hit him,and he replied 'I didn't hit him,if i had hit him he wouldn't have got up'

I used to like listening to Tony Butler. He was a radio pioneer. Apparently, he had the highest audience figures in Midlands local radio.

I'd forgotten about Tony Butler, I remember listening to him on BRMB when I was on leave in the 70s, ("On yer boik !").
Jasper Carrott did a bit about him, a listener ringing in, "Warrabout the Villa eh ?".
I'm surprised how much vitriol his name evoked, football, eh ?

Loved Tony Butlers radio programme, yes he caused a good few arguments with his phone-in , but it was compulsive listening. Apparently he was a Speedway rider in his day and rode for Wolverhampton Wolves a couple of times .Is that where his saying "ON YER BIKE" came from ?

Funny isn't it, I mean how over the years the Broadcasters have slowly got rid of presenters with a regional accent....Tony Butler/Malcolm Boyden/Carl Chinn/and now dear old Danny Kelly (I know, I know he was a scouser, but we took him to our hearts...) I bet those presenters with local accents keep looking over their shoulders. It's wrong of course; but they never have asked the listeners have they. Just my opinion.

Back