• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tonks, Harry

Brummiebell

master brummie
Hello, I am trying to find out what happened to my Great Uncle Harry Tonks b1884 in Aston Birmingham.I have folowed him through the census and I belive I have him on the 1911 as a GPO telegraph linesman and I know he must have been in the Great War. However can not find a record of him and there is no sign after the war of him. His fathers name was Short so he may have used that, but I can't find any marriage for him or even any record of a death in the war. Any help much appreciated. Aparentley his younger brother Charles was taken prisoner and died in the salt mines but noone seems to know what happened to poor Harry. Many thanks Maria

Would this be him?
1918 absent voters list
at 8 court 3 house Howe Street
Harry Short 40056,3/A.M, RAF
Charles Short 316318 Pte,8 DCLI Reg
1923-1930 at 8 court 3 house Howe Street
Harry Short and Sarah Short (Sarah Ann Short (the younger, added in 1930)
1935 at 42 Spring Rd Acocks Green
Harry Short,(the elder),Sarah Ann Short and Harry Short (the younger) and Charles Henry Short
1939/1940 at 42 Spring Rd Acocks Green
Harry Short,(the elder),Sarah Ann Short and Harry Short (the younger)
1945,-1955 at 42 Spring Rd Acocks Green
Harry Short,William Short
(1947 at 42 Spring Rd Acocks Green
Harry Short,QBPX/33/1
Harry Short, QAA/4750703
William Short)

Back