• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tonks Harry 1884

Brummiebell

master brummie
Hello everyone, am trying to find some records on Harry Tonks, my Great Uncle. He was from Aston Birmingham and his mothers name was Sarah Witmore Tonks. So far have only found him on a census as a child and a possible death record if he were born 1888 (possible as some of their dates and info are entered incorrectly on census before) I can't find any war records for him either although there are some for his younger brother Charles and I am despirateley trying to identify a picture I have and need to rule him out. My Nan spoke of how her father died tragically of Scarlett fever when she was a girl and they could only afford the doctor to see her she survived and he died, and she refused to ever see a doctor thoughout her life and hated them passionate. However we later found this not to be true, her father died much later in 1911 so could she perhaps be talking of her older brother Harry. The one record that I have found says he died aged Nine, but birth date is down as 1888? Any ideas would be wonderful please. Many thanks Maria

Re: Harry Tonks 1884

On the 1918 Absent Voters List there are two Harry Tonks, one with an address in Hyde Road, Rotten Park, and one in Winson Green Road, Rotten Park.

The Harry Tonks in Hyde Rd is a sailor on HMS Queen Elizabeth.

The Harry Tonks in Winson Green Rd is a soldier in the Durham Light Infantry.

Could either of these be your man?

Barrie.

Re: Harry Tonks 1884

Seems like your Nan was right about her Dad as the family are living with Harry Short as borders on the 1901 census at 3 bk 65 Richard St Nechells. Not everyone served in the war some did war work making guns and bullets. It certainly looks like that was what Harry Short was doing in 1901. Hope this helps
Harry Short 48
Sarah Tonks 44
Harry Tonks17
Ellen Tonks 15
Charles Tonks 13
Rose Tonks 11
Kate Tonks 9
Clara Tonks 6

Back