• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

TOMMY GODWIN - 1948 Olympic Medalist on the BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest news about my 90 year old Brummie friend posted to me by his daughter Kay. Click on the Herne Hill track and and Tommy racing, turn up the sound to hear him talking. In the 60's Tommy was my mentor, he had a bike shop in Silver Street, Kings Heath and now lives in Knowle.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12479229

Just thought you may be interested in this article which the producer has just sent me and is now on the bbc news page and the Olympic website
Pop appears on both film links and it is amazing to see him riding in the 1940s If the link doesn't work - it is on the bbc news page and the article is called Wheels of fortune - Whatever happened to London's other Olympic velodrome
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12479229

We are just off to the opening of the new Olympic Velodrome which takes place tomorrow - so could be on the news tomorrow.
I am fighting to keep up with the 'sprightly 90 year old' and it is a full time job planning his diary!!
Regards
Kay

90 year old Tommy Godwin with his original 1948 Olympic team jersey at the opening of the new Olympic cycling track, London, 22 Feb 2011. Brummies are worth more than Gold and a lot tougher!!!
184670_10150094559574092_765669091_6233163_1506452_n.jpg

Some interesting information and other Sky and ITN videos of Tommy at

https://www.madeinbirmingham.org/godwin.htm

svrman, interesting piece about Tommy but in no way complete as he didn't only have national champions he also had a world champion in his Birmingham Racing Cyclists Club team. Several years ago I joined the campaign to save Herne Hill and the plans to save it have now been approved. https://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/new...-plans-to-save-historic-herne-hill-track.html

Not really sure of the relevance of that last comment on a thread about Tommy Godwin!

Tommy Godwin is the Birmingham ambassador to the Olympic Games, he is 90 years of age and won two bronze medals in the last Olympic games to be held in this country, that is why he is referred to as a 'legend' and the man that everyone wants to interview. Tommy is in the autumn of his life so lets all pay this self effacing man, who has never sought attention or the opportunity to promote himself, the respect he deserves without becoming detracted by the achievements of others.

Not really sure of the relevance of that last comment on a thread about Tommy Godwin!

svrman I know Tommy better than anyone on any forum (and I know who you are) that you care to mention so you don't need to tell me what a wonderful modest man he is. I've known him and his qualities for 50 years and I just pointed out that he had more success at coaching BRCR than only "national" champions.

The "achievements of others" are mainly thanks to Tommy and his guidance that is the relevance.

I have no idea what any of the above is about or its relevance so I would refer you to my previous post for an answer.

svrman.
I am think it was unecessary to make the last comment in post 7.
Seeing the history and close relationship that Graham has with Tommy and his family,perhaps on reflection you
will realise that he in no way would be disrespectful.

Closed for Admin consideration.

svrman, I think your comments are way out of line and if that is the way you reply to someone who is only pointing out that, if anything, you had undersold Tommy, then perhaps it would be better if you took some time and thought about what you are saying before posting.
I think you owe the members an apology.

Well I most certainly apologise for the confusion and reaction that my remarks seem to have caused

This all started by and is based upon Cadeau stating

svrman, interesting piece about Tommy but in no way complete as he didn't only have national champions he also had a world champion in his Birmingham Racing Cyclists Club team

But if you look at the wording on the MIB site about Tommy that is not factually correct, it in fact says

He(Tommy) was one of the first training coaches, training and mentoring a generation of British track racing cyclists, many of whom won national and international titles and medals.

Is a world championship not an international title, does a world champion not receive an international medal?

So please tell me how is this all ‘way out of line’ and ‘disrespectful’ and ‘selling Tommy short’? Please explain that to me and if it is any of that I will be more than glad to apologise

Gentlemen lets stop the nit picking lets celebrate a remarkable brummie man. I,m sure if he was reading this he wouldn,t give two hoots on what was won and when. Dek

Its splitting hairs I suppose but my understanding is that ' international' is a group which could contain World, European, Commonwealth or even Olympic. The arguments of which are best or more worthy could provide endless debate.

Yes Dek that's all I am trying to do!

This debate could drag on forever.
One thing I should point out is that, as much as I admire Tommy,and I like him as a man as well, he aint a Brummie.
Living in a stable for 30 odd years will not make you a horse.

One thing I should point out is that, as much as I admire Tommy,and I like him as a man as well, he aint a Brummie.
Living in a stable for 30 odd years will not make you a horse.

Interesting point--We often refer to people as being Brummies even when they were not born here!
Is a man with a Birmingham accent a Brummy?

Its a debate that could run on forever , so lets agree that Tommy Godwin deserves all the praise and recognition he is given, and with that I'll let the thread close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back