• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

TOM KNOCKERS WOOD HARBORNE

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
has anyone any info about this wood...where exactly in harborne was or is it and was it actually named after someone named tom knocker..maybe there is a map showing it

lyn

tom knockers wood harborne.jpg

Last edited:
Mopbeggar Farm (Moor End Farm)

Mopbeggar Farm was a large farm estate which straddled the border between Warley and Harborne and extended as far north as Quinton Lane. The name Mopbeggar is thought to derive from a corruption of Mockbeggar – an old and common name used to describe a large house which gave little charity.

The farmhouse was situated at the end of a meandering trackway leading south from Tennall Road, located where Simmons Drive is today.

In 1840 the farm was owned by William Penn, occupied by William Johnson.

There were a number of blocks of woodland in the estate. The northernmost of which – Pits Wood – still exists today just off Overdale Road, though it is much smaller than it was shown in 1840. The wood is outside of the Country Park boundary.

To the south, were three further woods, which fell outside of the modern day Country Park. Where Ridgemont Croft is today, was Pool Tail Plantation. This is marked on later maps (1880s) as an old sand pit. In the location of the modern day Bolney Road stood Feston Wood, which had also been cleared by the 1880s. Where First Meadow Piece is today stood Bearlands Wood (also known as Tom Knocker’s Wood)...
Woodgate Valley – a History – ANDY_UNDERSCORE

Late last night and the night before
Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers
knocking at the door.
I want to go out;
don't know if I can,
'cause I'm so afraid
of the Tommyknocker man.

thanks everyone...most interesting info...i am taking it that the house in pedros photo is long gone now

lyn

thanks everyone...most interesting info...i am taking it that the house in pedros photo is long gone now
lyn
Hi Lyn,
That 'House' In the picture Pedrocut posted, Is the old Monarch Pub In Quinton Road West, which is now, The Island Inn Pub restaurant.
Lesley.

Attachments

• the monarch, that was.. - Edited.png
    the monarch, that was.. - Edited.png
    434.4 KB · Views: 26
I went to Four Dwellings School at end of 40s/early 50s. In a school notebook I have written that the class went to Tom Knockers Wood and planted trees!

Back