• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

from memory it is an interpretation of a phyllis nicklin photograph...think its hampton st newtown

We had a bin like that at the pre-fab Lyn and it was for coke. You got into it through a sort of trap door at the top. Not sure you'd have a communal coke bin though.

While searching for Aston Villa history in me scrap book I found this, a print issued in the Sunday Mercury (not sure of date but probably in the 1970s?).

Summer Lane Post Office and the only pub that was really in Summer Lane, being The Vine on the junction of the Lane and New John Street West, in the 30s.....Ron Smudge Smith.

IMG_1016.jpeg

Bernard Sleigh (1872-?) is mentioned on other threads, here is a small piece about him from The Iron Room of Birmingham Libraries...

Yes, the Smethwick must be an old view - long before everywhere became soot encrusted.
My choice, as far as hanging pictures on walls, would be Sarehole MIll. That one is delightful.

• Appreciate
Reactions: ade
The Smethwick one is on the "web" as Smethwick Old Church and vicarage. The Church is still there! My mother used to go there when she was young and one evening her hat blew off over the wall and into the churchyard, she was frightened to go and fetch it!
rosie.

• Appreciate
Reactions: ade
Yes, the Smethwick must be an old view - long before everywhere became soot encrusted.
My choice, as far as hanging pictures on walls, would be Sarehole MIll. That one is delightful.
Yes, the mill picture is beautiful

I spent a good couple of hours on this wonderful thread yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I learned such a lot about Birmingham artists and marvelled at the talent shown (Including our own Cookie!).
Seeing some of the images brought to mind a painting that I used to see at School every day hanging outside the main assembly hall. It was by an artist named William Midgley (1899 - 1933) who lived and taught in Birmingham and was a leading light in the Royal Society of Birmingham Artists.
The title of the painting is "Non Angli sed Angeli". A beautiful work of art that was later sold by the school in 1988.
Non Angli sed Angeli.jpg

Yes that was the full comment, but I only referenced the painting title. However, no doubt they were soon converted.

I have recently bought at auction an oil painting of Gas Street basin signed by Tom Bower 1985, can anyone identify the artist? I can find no listing for him or other works by him.

Possibly this man?

Back