• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Toll Houses Of Birmingham And It's Neighbours

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
Begging the Courts pardon, but may I start a new Thread about a long held fascination of mine, the old TOLL HOUSES of Brum and it’s neighbours? I have been researching this for some time, and there are quite a few bits and bobs about Tolls on here already, from a few years ago….notably by the amazing Peter Walker, and OC (Graham Knight) and Lloyd Penfold and Peter Walford (Thylicine), plus a few significant others….. hopefully others will join in….but for starters I will keep it to ROAD TOLLS and leave the good old CANAL TOLLS for as and when….another fascinating subject….

BEGINNING
In
the 18th century the rapidly developing industries of Birmingham created a demand for better transport facilities to enable raw materials to be brought into the town and to allow finished products to be transported to their markets. Increasingly those markets were not just regional but national and even international. From the mid-17th century, when roads had been the responsibility of the parishes through which they passed, whether they were local roads or important long-distance routes,the principal means of improving them had been the turnpike trust. Such trusts were empowered to finance the improvement of road surfaces and drainage, the construction of new lengths of road, and the construction and maintenance of bridges, by levying tolls on the users of the roads. In the 18th century, toll-gates, and their attendant's lodge cottage, became a familiar sight alongside main roads.

The turnpikes
The first private toll road was established by act of parliament in 1663 in Hertfordshire, and the first Trust was set up in 1707 on the London - Coventry - Chester road. They became known as turnpike trusts because of the "pikestaff" or wooden beam, which was swung across the road to check passers-by and collect their dues. The trusts had power to raise capital to build or repair a road by raising a loan on the security of the toll income. Some were more profitable than others: the Birmingham to Wednesbury trust had a total income of £5478, of which £4751 was derived from tolls, but it was an uphill battle to keep the roads in a passable condition. There was always some resistance to paying to use the roads, and in later years when traffic had become much heavier, it became impossible to collect enough revenue to maintain the roads to a good standard.

The main benefit of the turnpike system was the reduction in journey times, resulting from the road improvement. Advertised passenger coach journey times between Birmingham and London were steadily reduced from four days in 1659 to three days in 1702, to 2½ days in 1731, and to two days by 1747. The local historian William Hutton went to London in 1784, and wrote that the journey took 19 hours, but an advertisement dated 1787 claimed that the overnight journey took 16 hours. During the 1820s the time for the journey was further reduced to just over eleven hours, and in 1836, the record time was seven and a half hours. By this date, however, canals had been providing cheap but slow transport for bulky freight for over 50 years, and the new railways were about to take over most traffic from the roads. The last brand-new coach on the London-Birmingham route ran in 1837, a year before the opening of the London & Birmingham Railway.

The Turnpike Roads of Brum.
All roads in and out of Birmingham were turnpike ………..gated and a toll had to be paid before the gate was opened.

Deritend had one of the oldest toll bars others were at Bradford St. Lawley St.
Highgate near Kyrwicks Lane,
Exeter Row (Bristol St).1771
Ladypool Lane,
Edgbaston Lane (Edgbaston Rd)
Aston Rd. at Park Lane
Hamstead Rd & Villa Rd 1887
Bristol Rd. at Priory Rd.
Five Ways at Islington Row
Broad St.
Hagley Rd.& Sandon (Smethwick Lane)
Small Heath at Green Lane
Summerhill at Icknield St
Warwick Rd 1726
Stratford Rd 1726
Bromsgrove Rd. 1727
Wednesbury Rd. 1727
Old Walsall Rd. 1727
Coventry Rd 1745
Stourbridge Rd 1753
Castle Bromwich Rd 1760 Horse & Cart 3p, Packhorse 1d
Dudley Rd 1761
Alcester Rd. 1767
Lichfield Rd 1807
Pershore Rd 1825 Pebble Mill
New Walsall Rd 1831

To give you an idea on how much money was gained by the Toll charges
When the four cannons were freighted to Birmingham to be used as Lamp supports at Nelsons Statue the cost was £15

Graham Knight

The end of the turnpikes

With bulk freight using the canals and ever-growing passenger and ever-growing traffic on the railways, the turnpike roads lost much of their strategic importance, and the turnpike trusts found themselves short of income to maintain, let alone improve, the roads. From 1830, railways offered a far more efficient means of transporting both goods and passengers, and the first Great Railway Mania sealed the fate of long-distance horse-drawn traffic on the public highway. The only growing traffic on the turnpikes was human-powered, as the bicycle began to replace the horse as a means of personal travel. The Highways Act, passed in 1835 was an attempt to set up districts, composed of a group of parishes to look after roads, but it failed because of the difficulty of reconciling conflicting local loyalties and prejudices.
During the 1860s, the first trunk roads were "disturnpiked", to use the legal term, but it was not until 1878 that the Highways and Locomotives Amendment Act was passed to set up highway authorities. However, the restrictions on steam-hauled road traffic remained much as before. The last turnpike trust was dissolved in 1885. County councils were formed in 1888 partly to take over responsibility for main roads, while rural district councils accepted responsibility for main roads from 1894.

Attachments

• 1 Turnpike Roads from Brum with Dates copy .jpg
    1 Turnpike Roads from Brum with Dates copy .jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 12734285_10209094734228187_6585191394262514585_n.jpg
    12734285_10209094734228187_6585191394262514585_n.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 17553410_10209313043086458_4223059178825357120_n.jpg
    17553410_10209313043086458_4223059178825357120_n.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Birmingham_bus_map copy.jpg
    Birmingham_bus_map copy.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Bradford_Street_1783.JPG
    Bradford_Street_1783.JPG
    690.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Bull Ring.jpg
    Bull Ring.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 55
  • cachemsend.jpg
    cachemsend.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 51
  • cachemsgate.jpg
    cachemsgate.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Cape Hill toll .jpg
    Cape Hill toll .jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Court House  Moor St  Map 2 1553 Joseph Hill.jpg
    Court House Moor St Map 2 1553 Joseph Hill.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Edgbaston Park Rd Turnpike 1730.jpg
    Edgbaston Park Rd Turnpike 1730.jpg
    666.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Edgbaston Turnpike Bristol Rd.jpg
    Edgbaston Turnpike Bristol Rd.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Hampstead Toll House remnants.jpeg
    Hampstead Toll House remnants.jpeg
    579.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Hay Mills tollgate.jpeg
    Hay Mills tollgate.jpeg
    731.3 KB · Views: 53
  • OldTollGatesPennRd.jpg
    OldTollGatesPennRd.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Quinton Hagley Rd .jpg
    Quinton Hagley Rd .jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Quinton Toll House .jpg
    Quinton Toll House .jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Smethwick Toll House google now.jpeg
    Smethwick Toll House google now.jpeg
    783.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Smethwick Toll House.jpg
    Smethwick Toll House.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Stratford Rd Toll House.jpg
    Stratford Rd Toll House.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Toll Gate Moseley.jpg
    Toll Gate Moseley.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
How many of these places still exist?
There are still a lot in Devon, now dwellings, but some have been demolished for road improvements. I pass two in a six mile journey to superstores.

I didn't know there had been one on Cape Hill.
The Smethwick one was there until recently, not sure if they have demolished it, I think it was sold recently?

great idea dennis...far as i am aware we do not have a thread for this historcial topic...bit busy now but i will take a look this thread later on....

lyn

4 more to add to your collection Dennis, the first one was on the Pershore Road Edgbaston ay Pebble Mill, there are two of this one I don't know if it's the angle of the camera or if it was extended at a late date.

The second one was on the Alcester Road at Moseley just at the top of Park Hill. The there was the one next to the Hay Mills Tavern that became a shop when they did away with the tolls. The last one of the four stood on Bristol Road from 1601 to 1923 mind you I wouldn't care to say if it was the same building throughout that time.

Edgbaston Pershore Rd the Old Tollhouse Nr Pebble Mil 1930 l.JPG
Edgbaston Pebble Mill toll_house2 Pershore_road.jpg
Moseley Toll Gate Alcester Rd top of Park Hill.JPG

Hay Mills Tavern and Toll House and cottage...[1].jpg

Northfield Bristol Rd Toll House 1601 - 1923 .jpg

Dennis
I don't think the building on Hamstead road is the original building (not that you implied it was, though the caption of the photo is a bit vague

That's correct Mike. For clarification, this is the Hamstead Road toll, painted by W.Green in the early/mid 1800s. Viv.

IMG_0241.JPG

Sorry Dennis it looks like I duplicated your Moseley toll house. Here is a drawing of the toll gatehouse that used to be on Birchfield Road at Perry Barr and also a photo of the same building.

Attachments

• Perry Barr Tollgate.jpg
    Perry Barr Tollgate.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 15
  • Perry Barr Birchfield Rd Toll Gate.JPG
    Perry Barr Birchfield Rd Toll Gate.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 13
A couple of actual images of the toll house and gate at the Hamstead Road, Lozells Road junctions where there were toll gates on both roads.Handsworth Villa Rd - Hamstead Rd Toll Gate. (2).jpg Handswoth Toll House Hamstead Rd .jpg

Usually toll houses has a painted board, with the tolls levied displayed upon it, situated of the doorway where the original building was octagonal or irregular in shape. This is well shown in Phil's post No. 12. Presumably the sign, in such places as the Bull Ring photo, was inside the structure.
Many toll houses, once sold following toll road abolition, were substantially rebuilt as seen in some photos.

Thanks folks...Most informative and helpful....so. here's a few more you may have noted......discuss away!

Attachments

• Toll Gate Perrty Barr.jpeg
    Toll Gate Perrty Barr.jpeg
    513.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Toll House Castle Bromwich.jpg
    Toll House Castle Bromwich.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Toll House Castle Bromwich now.jpeg
    Toll House Castle Bromwich now.jpeg
    870.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Toll house drawing 1872.jpg
    Toll house drawing 1872.jpg
    894 KB · Views: 16
  • Toll House Gravelly Hill.jpg
    Toll House Gravelly Hill.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Toll House on canal Chester Rd.jpg
    Toll House on canal Chester Rd.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Toll House Quinton.jpg
    Toll House Quinton.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Toll House Walsall Willenhall.jpeg
    Toll House Walsall Willenhall.jpeg
    805.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Turnpikes Warwks copy.jpg
    Turnpikes Warwks copy.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Walsall Penn St Toll txt.jpeg
    Walsall Penn St Toll txt.jpeg
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Warwick gate.jpg
    Warwick gate.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 13
I suppose in reality the buildings in this photo were toll booths and many of us over a certain age will remember this list of charges (tolls).Sutton Park Gate .jpg Sutton Park Notice Admission Prices.jpg

The canal toll house that stood at the entrance to the Crescent Wharf off Cambridge Street at the back of Broad Street.

Ladywood Crescent Wharf Tollhouse.JPG

Yes Phil...but I suppose on a personal note, my interest was kindled by a snippet from a spiral bound book I got from my Nan.....after I begged her to write down her reminiscences of her long life....

This is the except, and she mentioned that going into town on the horse bus they had to pay a toll at the Old Crown in Digbeth.....and try as I may, I have never been able to correlate a Toll with the Crown ever since! I put it down to her memory playing tricks on her.......this is the extract.....anyone else ever hear of this?

"....And I am now nearly 89. I was born in 1896, so have seen lots of changes. I have been a widow now for 14 years. I can remember my parents taking me as a child on a horse drawn bus to St Martins Church, and drivers had to pay toll money at The Crown pub in Deritend before they could drive into the Bull Ring. It was like magic to hear the church bells ringing out nursery tunes at Xmas time. It was wonderful to see the lovely toys, lovely china dolls etc in the market square, as it was then known. Of course there was in weekdays lots of cattle driven in the big market to be killed, so that was why it is now called the Bull Ring. It is very much changed now like so many things.

Then there came the electric trams, which every one marvelled at. We had paraffin lamps first, then gas came in. Another wonder, when the street lamps lined the streets, and the lamplighter used to come with his lighter on the end of a pole to light them at night, and again in the early morning to put them out, and also to knock men up who had to go to work early, which he got perhaps a couple of shillings for to add to his poor wages. Then after a few years there came the wonder of just touching a switch inside door and everything looking like daylight. And they started talking about planes, taking to people in other countries having them in homes etc. All things began to happen when the wonder of electric came. Buses began to drive on the roads, the tramlines and over head wires were taken down, and the dear old horse began to disappear but it was the beginning of a new world. Then there was another war, Germany started to take over the world, which was terrible. My eldest son Bob joined the navy, it was a very worrying time for us all, as Hitler was taking over fast, then England had to go to war and stop him taking our country. And..

This was the last word she wrote in this session. She lived much longer of course, but obviously got fed up or tired and went off to make a cup of tea or something. Anyway, she never returned to this journal and eventually died in 1999, two months short of her 102nd birthday. But she got her telegram from HRH. As a postscript to the Telegram issue, my daughter Nicola asked what she did with it when it arrived at Kingfisher house, her last residence, and Nan replied that ‘she’d fancied wiping her a*** with it’. Obviously she blamed Her Majesty for some irreconcilable sleight many years ago?

Attachments

• Nan 3.jpg
    Nan 3.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Nan and grandad on Beach.jpg
    Nan and grandad on Beach.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 9
Dennis

I doubt that somewhere as grand as Rose Hill House would have anything to do with something as mundane as a toll gate (first image), but the buildings at the top of Soho hill were known as Tollgate Buildings and even the in this second photo the shop at the junction of Villa Road is called the Old Gate Glass & China shop. To my way of thinking it could either be the old toll gate house or the building that replaced it.Handsworth Soho Road Rose Hill House late 1800's.JPG Handsworth Soho Hill (top) .jpg

No Phil ..it was just opposite the Toll opposite.....but sadly no picture...but you can see the gates........which in your second pic does have a resemblance to Toll House octagonometry...if that's a word...? Great pics btw.....cheers.....

Lyn I've always thought that the Crown & Cushions has never moved from the spot where it was until it was finally demolished, and that the toll house and gate were on the south corner of Aston Lane.

phil i deleted my post as i was getting confused again..once again i put this down to the heat wave:D
lyn

This is an article from Faces and Places mag 1889......about how the City Surveyor, a Mr Till, cleaned up the City after Turnpikes and Toll Gates etc.....before going on to greater things, like cobbled Streets etc.....

Attachments

• Toll 1.jpg
    Toll 1.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Toll 2.jpg
    Toll 2.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Toll 3 copy.jpg
    Toll 3 copy.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 8
This is an article from Faces and Places mag 1889......about how the City Surveyor, a Mr Till, cleaned up the City after Turnpikes and Toll Gates etc.....before going on to greater things, like cobbled Streets etc.....

So maybe we can thank Mr Till for covering the “roadway” in Victoria Square?

Thanks, Dennis. It is fascinating how these little snippets of essential information appear from tucked away archives so many years later.

Maurice

Stupid parking tickets even then. I hope they were able to claim it back from the Corporation.

Maurice

Back