• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tolkien's Birmingham

Regarding No 73 and the photo of the prefabs on Wake Green Road, I lived in one of those for over 25 years and I'm not a Hobbit!

At that time (in the 50's) I delivered papers for the post office that was situated at the junction of Wake Green Road and Swanshurst Lane (next to a chemists and Wrensons) and delivered far and wide, including to Sarehole Mill where someone was living.

My weekly wage for a morning, evening and a Sunday delivery was 9/6d (less than 47 1/2p) plus a quarter of sweets! I left after a couple of years to become a butcher's delivery boy as that paid 15/- (75p) for Saturday morning only and we got tips as well. Boy, did we do well at Christmas!!!

I passed a house during a stay up north and came across a plaque about Tolkien.

It said: JRR Tolkien author of 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings' stayed here in the Spring of 1917
while recovering from the Trench Fever he caught during the Great War.

Harrogate Civic Society 2004..

A Blue Plaque was erected in 1997 to say that Tolkien had stayed at the Plough and Harrow Hotel, Hagley Road in June 1916. Also found a report that this was the night before he travelled to France to fight in the WW1 battlefields. Tolkien was 24 at the time. Is there still a Tolkien restaurant at the Plough and Harrow? Dave.

ell am i correct in thinking the plough closed some time ago and has now re opened...i have been in this pub...nice place

lyn

ell am i correct in thinking the plough closed some time ago and has now re opened...i have been in this pub...nice place

lyn

I'm not sure, I just see it if I'm at that end of the Hagley Road. Never been inside.
Was so much traffic on the Hagley Road today, probably due to the various roads being closed for roadworks.

Did I hear somewhere that the decendants are not very happy with the way hes being portrayed?

Last edited:
Saw the Tolkien advert on a bus in Acocks Green the other day!

No I don't think they filmed any of it in Birmingham!

Read about the Tolkien family not approving of this movie. If they didn't get approval, why did they even make it?

I doubt you have to get permission to make a story film about anyone - so many films have been made with famous people as the subject.

The Guardian reported that the family made a point that they were not so much objecting, but refusing to be associated with it, as commercial films of this type tend to overdramatise (ie invent) parts, and the family did not wish it to seem that they were going along with any of these inventions

Absolutely Mike. I think it’s only right that a family should be able to distance itself from these things - inevitably not everything will be based on fact in the name of of entertainment. Viv.

I believe the next series of Peaky Blinders will feature Jessie Eden, and it will be interesting to see how she is portrayed.

The problem of course is when there is no one to set the record straight, or doesn’t have the means to do so?

the mention of twin towers could have possabily be looking across lonbridge from the lickeys with one tower being the hospital at hollymoor and the other being lonbridge pumping station origonly by the longbridge island but gone now

The Hollymoor Grade II Listed Building doesn’t yet seem to feature in the Forum. The Google Earth 3D view and the listing description below...

769958E4-0F76-453F-BDB0-D6061278EFC0.jpeg

Hollymoor Hospital Water Tower.

Back