• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tolkien's Birmingham

W

Wendy

Here is a photo of Tolkien family grave. (Photo no longer available but photo of grave can be seen here https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=41880606). Tolkien himself is not here though he is buried in Dorset. I have typed out the inscription as its not very clear on the photo.

FRANK TOLKIEN. BORN JULY 28th 1864. DIED APRIL 24th 1867.
HOWARD CHARLES TOLKIEN. BORN DECEMBER 27th 1866. DIED OCTOBER 27th 1867.
THE DEVOTED CHILDREN OF
JOHN BENJAMN AND MARY JANE TOLKIEN,

OF HANDSWORTH.

ALSO
ARTHUR REUEL TOLKIEN,

THEIR SON,
WHO DIED AT BLOEMFONTIEN, SOUTH AFRICA
FEBRUARY 15th 1896,
AGED 38 YEARS.

ALSO THE ABOVE NAMED JOHN BENJAMIN TOLKIEN WHO DIED AUGUST 1st 1896, AGED 89 YEARS.
ALSO OF
MARY JANE TOLKIEN,

WHO DIED FEBRUARY 13th 1915,
AGED 81 YEARS
ALSO

WILFRID HENRY TOLKIEN, WHO DIED AUGUST 8th 1938, AGED 68 YEARS.

K

keithw2112

the mention of twin towers could have possabily be looking across lonbridge from the lickeys with one tower being the hospital at hollymoor and the other being lonbridge pumping station origonly by the longbridge island but gone now

brumgum

Proud to be a Brummie!
Chinn on Tolkien...
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnob8zLHb_k&feature=related"]YouTube- Chinn on Tolkien[/ame]

D

Darthdc

Live not far from Sarehole Mill (By Swanshurst School) and go to the Tolkien event every year, even if this years was a Glastonbury clone. The fact that Tolkien lived within the vacinity of Perrott's Folly and the Waterworks Chimney suggests that the link to LOTR is more than just legend. Sarehole Mill is mentioned (though not by name) in the preface to FOTR. Just wondering about whether they will put a blue plaque in Waterworks Rd, or what has happened about Moseley's Ent?

O

Olly Forrester

'The idea for the Eye of Sauron came from Birmingham University Clock Tower."

In a fascinating interview Olly Forrester talks to Tolkien expert, Bob Blackham:

www.touchbasemagazine.com

LawAndOrderFan

master brummie
We live not far from Hall Green. My kids and I were at Sarehole just a few weeks ago on a lovely day when we also walked along the mill race to the river and watched the vehicles going through the ford at Green Lane. There was a display about JRRT in the mill itself. If anyone would like to me to e-mail copies of the photographs we took around and inside the mill, please e-mail me. J

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
I know Tolkien lived on the Wake Green Road. Not sure if it is worth taking a photo of the house (it's a private residence).

There is also Moseley Bog, yet to take my camera into there. Went there a long time ago though.

paul stacey

master brummie
was my favourit author when a Child and still is, read all his works and continue to do so, together with Wind in the willows, and some of enid blyton.
paul

carolina

master brummie
According to Midland news today Moseley Bog has had £250K spent on it and will re-open 26 June, it looked lovely on the TV - lets hope it stays like it.

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
I wonder if I should go around Moseley Bog with my camera? Is the entrance on Yardley Wood Road?

Is there any access near Swanshurst Lane or Wake Green Road?

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
Bad news regard the Hungry Hobbit on Wake Green Road. The Tolkien estate want them to change their name as they unauthorised the use of the name Hobbit

Moseley cafe Hungry Hobbit threatened with legal action by JRR Tolkein's estate

OH, CRUMBS! A Birmingham cafe trading under the name of the Hungry Hobbit has been threatened with legal action if it doesn’t rebrand.
Lawyers representing the Estate of JRR Tolkien and The Saul Zaentz Company (SZC, trading as Middle-earth Enterprises) have offered to let the owner of the Wake Green Road cafe in Moseley “phase out any use of the name Hungry Hobbit with a reasonable time”.
But they said failure to do so would leave international law firm Edwards Wildman with “no alternative but to pursue all the remedies afforded by law”.
A letter entitled ‘Unauthorised Use of Hobbit’ was written by London practice partner John Olsen on October 25, 2011.
It said SZC had “used and licensed others to use the Hobbit mark, and other marks derived from the Hobbit books, in the UK and many other countries for decades”.
The letter continued: “Only those who qualify for a trademark licence may use Hobbit and other marks registered by SZC.”
Shop owner Wendy Busst said: “The name has been in used for about six years through two previous owners.
“I’ve only been here for six months and it’s my first business having worked in industrial and school catering.
“Instead of just being a sandwich shop, we’ve just been granted an A3 licence by the city council to enable more people to sit in eating home-cooked food.
“The letter came out of the blue and said we were a new cafe when we are not.
“I have emailed a letter back to them pointing this out, but I haven’t heard back.
“We are just a small cafe with a real community feel – everyone comes in here from care home staff to city council workers and police.

W

Wendy

What a shame as the café has been trading with the name for 6 years and only recently changed hands. I hope they see sense and leave the café alone. Everyone is struggling at the moment and the cost of changing the name will effect the lady I am sure. Perhaps a gift to her to use the name would be a nice local gesture. I often sweep and clean the Tolkien family grave when I go to Key Hill without authorization...LOL

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if they have claimed the Tolkein name as well. If not, perkaps they could change it to the Hungry Tolkein

W

Wendy

The Tolkien estate is massive and controlled by a company so there is no way anything to do with Tolkien will be allowed to be used without permission. I had dealings with them a few years ago over the grave at Key Hill. Even the family can't do anything without going through the "company"