• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tolkein and Sarehole Mill History

You can today easily get the no 5 bus (from town) or the 11A or 11C to Sarehole Mill. I keep thinking about Tolkien's childhood house, I've yet to take any photos of it (5 Gracewell on Wake Green Road). Wonder why it doesn't have a blue plaque on it?
The closest one is on Sarehole Mill (mentions Tolkien).

They are currently restoring the mill (as the article mentions).

The view you normally would have gotten from Cole Bank Road

You can today easily get the no 5 bus (from town) or the 11A or 11C to Sarehole Mill. I keep thinking about Tolkien's childhood house, I've yet to take any photos of it (5 Gracewell on Wake Green Road). Wonder why it doesn't have a blue plaque on it?
The closest one is on Sarehole Mill (mentions Tolkien).
As I remember it Tolkien went through a few different homes in his childhood, some of them aren't there anymore. It would probably take an effort from someone and agreement from the current owner to get a plaque put up.

There's one on Highfield Road that does and two more in Edgbaston that say "stayed here" or "lived near here" but no more "lived here" in Birmingham.

There was a lot of new Tolkien exhibits inside. Will get those related photos up soon.

The mill and pond fully restored - seen on the open day

The open day - busy with visitors

Various items for sale

The Hobbit pictures inside the mill

Gollum is outside the mill, near the pond!

Bilbo is upstairs

A few more Hobbit inspired pictures

Anyone looking forward to the 2nd Hobbit movie in December 2013?

I think all 3 hobbit Films have been good, what do you think?
Read the book as a child but haven't seen any of the films of that one. I don't suppose it kept to the book though. If nothing else the last movie seems to be about a big battle that I'm pretty sure wasn't in there at all.

Back