• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Today’s Mystery Object Is ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

horsencart

master brummie
Does anyone know what this Red wooden thing is/was https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/p64053008.html

There are two in the yard at the former tram shed at Miller St the point I am trying to makes is that if the Red wooden thing is/was to do with the trams or buses then they should be saved?, if they were nothing to do with the trams or buses what were they used as, anyone know, I have no idea bus does look to me like a former? for the rear of rear entrance bus, or am I looking at it wrong?.

Does anyone know what this Red wooden thing is/was https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/p64053008.html

There are two in the yard at the former tram shed at Miller St the point I am trying to makes is that if the Red wooden thing is/was to do with the trams or buses then they should be saved?, if they were nothing to do with the trams or buses what were they used as, anyone know, I have no idea bus does look to me like a former? for the rear of rear entrance bus, or am I looking at it wrong?.

Could well be a wooden mould for the manufacture of a metal part.

It is a wooden pattern for making a mould for a casting.If it was turned over to show what is hidden it would be possible to see the shape of the object to be cast.What is really needed is a patternmaker on this forum to see this pic.

It is a wooden pattern for making a mould for a casting.If it was turned over to show what is hidden it would be possible to see the shape of the object to be cast.What is really needed is a patternmaker on this forum to see this pic.

I suspect that it was something to do with the trams ? and should be saved

I think that there is a possibility that both objects in the photo are concrete forming molds. if you look at the other object you can see that it has been constructed to disassemble around an object once it has set.

Phil

I think that there is a possibility that both objects in the photo are concrete forming molds. if you look at the other object you can see that it has been constructed to disassemble around an object once it has set.

Phil

This then begs the question what would have been the end object that the moulds surounded

The red item is a wooden pattern and the shape and form of it is what the cast iron product would look like.The pattern (male) would be used to make the mould (female) then the molten metal would be poured into the mould.As PMC1947 says the wooden box thingy looks like it could be disassembled, could well be a form of shuttering.

The red item is a wooden pattern and the shape and form of it is what the cast iron product would look like.The pattern (male) would be used to make the mould (female) then the molten metal would be poured into the mould.As PMC1947 says the wooden box thingy looks like it could be disassembled, could well be a form of shuttering.

Here are a two closer views

That view on the left shows a half a diameter to carry a shaft or something similar, if that is the case there would have been another pattern for the mating half.It would be interesting to see what is on the side that is face down.What is showing is the outer part of the casting.

This then begs the question what would have been the end object that the moulds surounded

That I am not able to answer, as my knowledge of trams & public transport is minimal. But the molds are very similar in construction to ones that were used for concrete forming prior to the introduction of plastic and other newer materials.

Phil

Dek I have but I still don't get it. Am I that thick?. Answer at your peril. I think it is past my bedtime so will think on it and return in the morning. Jean.

:)Jean it,s as plain as the name in front of you face .Dek:D:D P.S.sometimes it,s hard to see the wood from the trees

Is it something to do with Lloyd on the forum? cos he ain't that old. He's only a baby compared with us. I must be missing something somewhere. Oh well tomorrow is another day. Jean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back