• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tobacco Duty

Tinpot

master brummie
On a visit to a small local museum yesterday I saw some small booklets of tokens displayed in a cabinet that were for Tobacco Duty Relief. It is something I have never heard of before and don’t know if it applied to cigarettes and/or pipe tobacco?

Tobacco Duty Relief Tokens​

HC Deb 12 May 1948 vol 450 cc223-4W223W
§Sir W. Smiles
asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer what is the approximate cost to the country of the concessions on tobacco and cigarettes to old age pensioners; and what would be the estimated cost of similar concessions to disabled ex-Service men and women in receipt of a disablement pension.
§Sir S. Cripps
The total value of the 2s. Tobacco Duty relief tokens at present issued to pensioners who qualify for this relief is about £7½million a year. On the same basis, the cost of extending the concession to ex-Service men and women in receipt of a disablement pension would be about £3 million, if the necessary machinery could be set up, which is I fear not practicable.

Back