• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

To be demolished

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
3 pubs to be demolished soon to make way for the re widening of lichfield road

KING EDWARD AND THE ASTON TAVERN 28.52014 035.JPGASTON TAVERN...ASTON SOC CLUB..ADVENTURERS 005.JPGASTON TAVERN...ASTON SOC CLUB..ADVENTURERS 007.JPG

Are there any good folk who live near the King Edward pub?
If so, when this pub is demolished, could anyone get me a piece of it, even just a house brick.
Something to put on my Dads grave.
I'm sure he spent more time in there that he did at home, (Only kidding) but that was his watering hole, and I've stood outside there with the obligatory lemonade and crisps (Smiths with the blue salt twist).
I can always collect on one of my trips to Brum.
Thanks in advance.
Ray

Are there any good folk who live near the King Edward pub?
If so, when this pub is demolished, could anyone get me a piece of it, even just a house brick.
Something to put on my Dads grave.
I'm sure he spent more time in there that he did at home, (Only kidding) but that was his watering hole, and I've stood outside there with the obligatory lemonade and crisps (Smiths with the blue salt twist).
I can always collect on one of my trips to Brum.
Thanks in advance.
Ray

hi ray i am keeping my eyes on when demo will start...will do my best to get you something for your dad....

lyn

Hi Lyn
Thanks for the heads up about the building and pubs being demolished on the Lichfield Road.

I was sad to see that the King Edward was one of the pubs going. From a child aged about 8 or 10 I knew the names of many of the pubs around Aston and Gosta Green because my father used to clean the windows of many of them and I used to write out the receipts for him each day as he didn't have much schooling.

I also used to walk to Aston from Nechells Green every so often to get strips of leather from the chamois leather company on the corner of Rocky Lane (cant remember the name) and thread them on twine to make a mop for the windows and to buy scrim by the yard.

Thanks for the photograph of the King Edward, Lyn I will save it for my family history if you don't mind.

Keep us informed of the progress and thanks for your care and perseverance in especially looking out for the older historical buildings of our city.

Louisa

hi louisa i was very saddened to see that the eddie in perticular was to be demolished..nothing wrong with the stucture of the building..its just in the way of so called progress... we have seen it far too many times before and i really do wish i could wave a magic wand and save our heritage buildings...

and yes please save the photo i took you are most welcome to it...

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
I'm so pissed off about the Eddy being pulled down, good to see the Aston Tavern opening soon though

I'm so pissed off about the Eddy being pulled down, good to see the Aston Tavern opening soon though

shouldnt come as any surprise to you though froth...there are buildings 2 hundred years older than the eddy that are falling under the ball and chain gang and there is nothing we can do to stop it...i learnt that a long time ago...including the reservoir pub(which i think was demolished in 2008) that was on the corner of lichfield road i make that 4 pubs along that stretch that we have lost or about to lose...

lyn

Last edited:
Unbelievable Lyn. Another part of Birmingham's History and Legacy going down the road of re-development (i.e lining someone's pocket).
It doesn't matter what the people of Birmingham think does it?
Do they never learn from the previous Council's mistakes? I'm so bloody angry!!!!
PS No reply to my email re The Golden Lion yet .. gosh, that's a surprise.

hi ya charlie..well through experience over the years the simple answer is NO..we have never and never will have a say in what happens to our historic buildings....it does not matter how many good ideas folk come up with as to what to do with them it all falls on deaf ears...wont stop us ranting on about it though...not surprised you have not had a reply re the golden lion...i shall be chasing them up very soon just to let them all know that we have not forgotton about it and i am not going to go away...ive never been one to walk away quietly...

lyn x

Last edited:
charlie quick edit on the crown...it appears its not to be demolished but it will be turned into housing...same difference though....its still the loss of another pub that will be gutted inside and out out of all recognition..
lyn

Last edited:
Lyn do they have to save the frontages or any part of it within the housing? The old hospital/ workhouse in Tamworth has been converted to housing, but the frontage had to be preserved and they made a good job of it.
Sue

Lyn do they have to save the frontages or any part of it within the housing? The old hospital/ workhouse in Tamworth has been converted to housing, but the frontage had to be preserved and they made a good job of it.
Sue

hi ya sue in a lot of cases where buildings are not going to be demolished but used for other purposes the answer is yes the facades are left more or less as they were...as in the recent case of the old woodman pub in st hockley and i agree with you that in most cases the developers do a very good job of it....still say it rips the heart out of smaller buildings such as pubs when the insides are gutted ..mind you i would say im never satisfied.

lyn

Last edited:
Back