• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tiverton Road Baths Selly Oak

paul stacey

master brummie
hi all
any one remember the baths and swimming pool in Selly Oak, and the little shop that sold 1/2p broken crisps.
regards
paul

Paul was that part of the college?. Orion swimming club trained there I think it is now the Gillet Centre. Jean.

Hi jean
Thanks for replying the baths were Tiverton Road baths off the Bristol Road, and the little shop was on the corner of Hubert Rd and Dartmouth Rd.
regards
Paul

Hi jean
Thanks for replying the baths were Tiverton Road baths off the Bristol Road

Is there a thread or topic relating to Tiverton Road baths, please? I learned to swim that those baths, as did my younger sister. My Mum used to take us on the bus to the top of Tiverton Road and we walked down to have lessons there.

I remember that there were two swimming pools and changing rooms around the sides of the baths. I think one teacher may have been called Mrs. Hayhurst, but I may be mixing up my names of teachers.

Dave

Is there a thread or topic relating to Tiverton Road baths, please? I learned to swim that those baths, as did my younger sister. My Mum used to take us on the bus to the top of Tiverton Road and we walked down to have lessons there.

I remember that there were two swimming pools and changing rooms around the sides of the baths. I think one teacher may have been called Mrs. Hayhurst, but I may be mixing up my names of teachers.

Dave
If you look at the site Selly Oak Past and Present (fb) you will see a considerable amount about Tiverton baths there

I learnt to swim at Tiverton Road Baths and have the certificate somewhere for 'being able to swim a width' I might be guessing (and it may say on the certificate) but I think the instructor was Mrs HayHoe or something like that

I also had swimming lessons at Tiverton Road. I remember when my mother picked me up after class one night in 1963, she told me that President Kennedy had been assassinated. I also had lessons at Moseley Road Baths, and was involved with the Bournville Aquamarines. Fond memories.

I too remember Tiverton Road baths ,it was a beautiful building.
My sister (now 65! )had to be "fished out"with a pole as she was not a good swimmer.
Such HAPPY MEMORIES.

Yes I remember Saturday morning swimming lessons at Tiverton Road with Mrs Hayhurst, a superb teacher for us young learners.

Back