• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tithe Maps of about 1840

BordesleyExile

master brummie
The tithe maps of about 1840 are a usefull complement to BMD, the IGI & FreeReg. Created as a result of the Tithe Commutation Act as Amended in 1836 the maps & associated documents give names of landowners & occupiers, the names of fields etc, the area of the tithe districtand rent charge, land use, acreage, disputes, views & interests of clergy, parishioners & landowners.
Locating the documents for a particular location is the challenge. I understand that the National Archives hold records and that county archives are another source. Those researching Herefordshire can access the Herefordshire Field Names Database online.

Thanks for adding the web addresses, Maurice - since I took my computer back to factory condition & went over to Mozilla Firefox I can no longer see web addresses in my browser.
I accessed Worcestershire tithe records this afternoon but the site was less responsive than Herefordshire or Warwickshire had been. I also found Historic Herefordshire Online, which was a good compliment to the Field Names Database.

Yes, I had a look at the Worcestershire site as only a few of my lot strayed across the border into Mathon and Colwall - most were in Malvern & Hanley Castle - but it seems as though it is very much a project in progress at the moment.

I guess that, like a lot of these projects, it all boils down to funding (of lack of it). :(

For those with an interest, there's a rundown on what's happening here:-

https://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/...reTitheandInclosureproject_creatingaresea.pdf

Maurice

Florence I think you & your husband are in for a treat when you search the 2 Herefordshire sites that I mentioned above.
I certainly found another member of my family, the address which was not available on the GRO certificate & some information on the farmhouse, which turns out to be 17C & which still standing today, albeit extended & updated. I have emailed Herefordshire Archives asking how I can get sight of the tithe map for the village where the family lived. It may be early June before I get an answer but I shall just be glad of the information.

BordesleyExile...Sorry, I've only just picked up your posting. Having problems with my pc the past week and I've been trying to use my husbands Apple Mac which I'm not familiar with :rolleyes: Back to Herefordshire. Great to hear of your good luck in finding the farmhouse. We've visited the ancestral home many times - Lyonshall, Newtown,Ivington area and also located the farmhouse where his g/grandfather aged 12 worked as a carters boy in 1861.

Re the tithe map. We have a copy of Ivington/Newtown field map 1841 and a 1940's map of same. Any use to you?

Florence :)

Thank you for your kind offer, Florence. Sadly, the tithe maps you have are different from the one that I seek. Did you obtain your tithe maps from Herefordshire Archives and if so did you visit in person or arrange by post? If not, is there another contact that you could suggest who has copies of Herefordshire tithe maps?

Hi BordesleyExile....Many years ago we went to Leominster library and found the maps in the records there and the assistant printed off copies for us. I think it was well before computers came on the scene. Hope this helps.

Have you tried Hereford Family History Society? They were very helpful once (by post), with a copy of a marriage certificate for us....Good luck with your researches :) Florence

Thank you for the library suggestion, Florence. I thought that Family History Societies were out to make money for members, or have I misunderstood? No doubt if I have got that wrong someone will be quick to correct me.

Hi again BordesleyExile...I had just logged off then my husband handed me the letter he'd rec'd from the Herefordshire Family History Society with the marriage cert copy they enclosed in 1996. At the time they had asked for just £1 (donation) for this and were very helpful.We've not needed to contact them since. Not sure how they operate now.

Hi again BordesleyExile, Just wondering... Do you have any links to Woodhouse, Parry/Perry, Morgan or Powell in your Herefordshire ancestry? My husband (Tony's) g/grandfather came to Birmingham from Herefordshire in the 1860's , married and settled in Digbeth. His son moved to the Bordesley area in the early 1900's and raised his family there.

Hi Sospiri, Thank you for putting on the Herefordshire links - you may have connected me with my gt.g/fathers family which I had given up on.
And do any of you have any connections with the Bray family which seem to have been around the Winslow/Bromyard area.
And does Hardwick House/Mill/Farm mean anything to anyone.
Sheri

Hi Sheri,

Glad to hear that the links have been put to good use, though it was Bordesley Exile who kicked this whole thing off. :)

The surnames you mention don't link with anything I have at the moment. My main Herefordshire names are WOOD, GARBETT and PREECE, though one or two of the Worcestershire ones occasionally stray over the border into the Mathon area, SHEPPARD & NEWELL particularly. There's a fairly full list of my surname interests here - https://www.msheppard.com/surnames.htm - though I have another 500 to add when I can find the time to update the webpage! :D

Maurice :cool:

Hi Sospiri, thanks for your reply - I'm just pleased I may have found a way of connecting my Bray family past 1841.
Sheri

Hello Sheri. I live in Bromyard,not a native. We have a Hardwick Manor. If you Choose Multi Map .com >OS Map>enter Bromyard> follow B4214 northwards to Rock Farm>turn left you will see Hardwick Manor.
Winslow Road is now a large housing estate. The hamlet of Winslow is a couple of miles south west of Bromyard down unclassifide roads.
I know very few of the families here but my partner, originaly from Halesowen, has raised a family here ( amost 40 years).She is not to well this morning and is having a sleep but will ask about any Brays in the area. Good Luck ....arkrite.

Ps. My partner has no recollection of a Bray family in Bromyard but said a real local would be more help. People round here seem to have their geneology programmed into there memory at birth. Black sheep ,family feuds and who was born the wrong side of the blanket its all remembered here.( No different to any small community but Bromyard is growing fast).......arkrite.

Last edited:
Back