• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tiswas

S

Stitcher

I see 'The Phantom Flan Flinger' is in the Mail today and I am surprised that no one knew it was Benny Mills. He was a Birmingham hackney carriage owner driver at the same time as me. He never discussed Tiswas on the rank but if he had not seen someone for a few days he would welcome them with a handshake which resulted in the other person getting an electric shock strong enough to shake you in your shoes.

Oh Tiswas! I was discussing this with friends only the other day. Our little boy got to see it live in the 70s - twice actually, they must have made a mistake and duplicated his invite. Both times they put parents safely into a viewing theatre with loads of coffee and biscuits while we watched our little darlings do their worst up on the screen.
The first time he was brought out wailing loudly because..... 'we don't get to see the adverts in there... blub, blub, blub'
The second time he was brought out because he'd been fighting!

Never got to see it live, despite applying, but loved the programme. Watched a clip on a programme a few weeks ago and it really was silly, but still made me giggle, even my 12 year old was sniggering whilst pronouncing it "old peoples Rubbish" lol
Sue

Helen Piddock, one of the A.T.V. presenters, was a friend of mine at that time. She also did a stint as 'The Phantom Flan Flinger'.

Never a dull moment. I remember them filming around Alpha Tower, Fletchers Walk, Central Library. Always looked like mayhem ! Viv.

image.jpeg

what about Lennie henry as trevor mcdoughnut,or as david bellamy throwing buckets of muck over famous stars dressed as flowers............

I see 'The Phantom Flan Flinger' is in the Mail today and I am surprised that no one knew it was Benny Mills. He was a Birmingham hackney carriage owner driver at the same time as me. He never discussed Tiswas on the rank but if he had not seen someone for a few days he would welcome them with a handshake which resulted in the other person getting an electric shock strong enough to shake you in your shoes.

Do you remember the piano playing pig, that was Johnny Patrick he used to play jazz in the Barton Arms on Sunday dinnertime Brenda Scott vocalist , the drummer was from Wolverhampton John Richards or Richardson . Believe me a really good dinnertime

what about Lennie henry as trevor mcdoughnut,or as david bellamy throwing buckets of muck over famous stars dressed as flowers............

To be honest he was alright at that , I wouldn't give yo a thank you for him now , Lennie keep your politics well away from your occupation . Yet another entertainer getting political

My brother and I went to watch Tiswas and took our daughters
While the girls had fun we were in a cage dressed as convicts.
Every now and then Chris Tarrant would throw a bucket of water
Over us, we were frozen. Also watched Lenny Henry do his Trevor
McDonald news caster bit. What a morning that was.

oh stars you wernt in the cage were you :eek: i must have seen you as i never missed the programme:D great harmless fun

lyn

oh stars you wernt in the cage were you :eek: i must have seen you as i never missed the programme:D great harmless fun

lyn
Hi yes I was, dressed as a convict. I also met Chris's Tarant when he
Came to a American Civil War re-enactment we were doing, we put
Him in a Yankee uniform and sent him into battle. Happy days Lyn.

Back