• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tinplate worker cf malster

Andrew Walsh

Brummie babby
I’m researching my wife’s 3rd great grandfather from Solihull (working 1841-1891). In records where he appears as a father, either at a birth or marriage, his occupation is given as a malster. All online references show malster was the same as maltster, i.e a brewer, maker or seller of malt beverages. In contrast, around the same times in the censuses his occupation is given as tin plate worker, or tinman maker, or tinman master. It’s certainly possible he swapped between being a tinsmith and a maltster, but I’m wondering if malster may, in fact, have something more to do with tin smithing rather than malting. For example, William Twist Davenport (b. 1842) was a “Corn Merchant & Malster Tin Ware Manufacturer”. Then I find this tin ‘malster table light’ for sale online http://www.greatwindsorchairs.com/lighting/tin-lighting/product/malster_table_light/

It sounds like this ancestor was a maker of tin ware for the malting industry so he called himself a malster for short. Does anyone have evidence to show malster and tin smithing were the same occupation?

Many mentions of tinware manufacturers in Birmingham.
Also many mentions of Malsters associated with Corn, barley, grain, wheat.

William Twist Davenport was corn and hop merchant at Mill Street. No mention of any association with tin.

Many mentions of tinware manufacturers in Birmingham.
Also many mentions of Malsters associated with Corn, barley, grain, wheat.

William Twist Davenport was corn and hop merchant at Mill Street. No mention of any association with tin.

I see that in the 1871 census Willy Twist was with his father Edward, and both are described as Corn Merchants. The firm was Edward Davenport and Son, Mill street.

On the 1861 census Edward Davenport is listed as corn merchant.

In the 1883 Kelly's Edward Davenport and Son is listed in Mill St. However William Twist died in 1882. By the 1890 Kelly's it looks like the business may have become J and CA Evans and Co.

Thanks for the inspiration Pedrocut. Maybe I need to find out more about the business that the ancestor I'm researching worked at, or owned (George Wall 1804-1896). Like the example I gave (Willy Twist Davenport, who has a great name by the way), George also lived in Mill St (and High St), so he would have had a store there with a name that will give me a better clue. I've pieced together what I can from all the censuses but it seems time I signed up to newspapers.com.

On the baptism of Emma and Charles it is spelt as MALTSTER

1652795275166.png

As a maltster soaked the grain to make malt for brewing I would imagine that the grain was soaked in tin vessels. Likely he was able to repair ny which got damaged, hence both occupations

On the 1871 census George was living at 25 Warwick Street (I think this became High Street) and at 24 was the Gardeners Arms pub. Was he brewing for them?

Photo of the pub here:

In 1876 he was listed in Kelly's directory (possibly working on own account not for anyone else):
1652795971643.png
1652795992542.png

He is at Mill Lane on 1881 census.

I think this is him in an 1866 directory
1652796182455.png

There are a number of other entries but all seem to list his occupation as brazier, or tinman etc.

Awesome! Thanks Janice pjmburns. I didn't know about Kelly's directory. Googling it has taken me to midland-ancestors.shop too which is a resource I didn't know about. Thanks!
George certainly seemed to be diverse in his dealings, so I think this tests (and falsifies) my initial hypothesis/wondering: was malster possibly another term used for a tinsmith? Seems not. Tinman AND greengrocer. I wouldn't have put those two together.

1874 - another job?? Perhaps his tinning didn't earn much?
View attachment 170203

I think it was Mike who said in regards to publicans/beer house keepers that in can be the case that if they list another occupation as well - wire drawer & publican for example - it may be his wife who is running the pub/beer house.

Could this be a similar situation perhaps, with George being the tinman & his wife the greengrocer?

Awesome! Thanks Janice pjmburns. I didn't know about Kelly's directory. Googling it has taken me to midland-ancestors.shop too which is a resource I didn't know about. Thanks!
George certainly seemed to be diverse in his dealings, so I think this tests (and falsifies) my initial hypothesis/wondering: was malster possibly another term used for a tinsmith? Seems not. Tinman AND greengrocer. I wouldn't have put those two together.
The Kelly's I used are on Ancestry. My interest stems from the fact I grew up in Shirley/Solihull and have vague memories of the Gardener's Arms on the High Street.
I also wondered (as did MWS) if, although listed in his name, his wife was the greengrocer.

The Kelly's I used are on Ancestry. My interest stems from the fact I grew up in Shirley/Solihull and have vague memories of the Gardener's Arms on the High Street.
I also wondered (as did MWS) if, although listed in his name, his wife was the greengrocer.
Was his wife the greengrocer? Quite possibly. Unfortunately I haven't seen any evidence, but it's a something I'll keep an eye out for. Thanks :).

Back