• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tinkers Farm Schools Northfield

mysterymermaid

Mermaid from Brum!
Have we go any old Tinkers on here?
tinkersframed.jpg

I went to Tinkers Farm for a few months in 1952, Bussed in from Bartly Green. We moved to Great Barr just before the Coronation

A lot of my youth was spent in Bartley Green, my mom now lives in a warden controled block of flats that overlooks Barley Green Reservoir

Hi June, I attended Tinkers Farm Secondary Modern School, from 1950-54. Previously attended Trescott Road Nursery class, 1941-2 then through the Infants and Juniors, until i was eleven.

I have l;ots that attended both schools on my site, I will have to look up some of the old photographs from Trescott June

I remember the reservoir at Bartley Green, we used to go down there a lot. We lived in Taysfield Road at the top of the Holloway for a few years and went to Our Lady & St Rose of Lima in Weoley Castle School, then Archbishop Masterson's in West Heath. I remember Tinker's Farm school, too. You're bring back happy memories Mysterymermaid.

Harborne

I lived in Standlake House from when I was 7 till I married in 1968, we had a flat in Tayfield Road, there were 4 blocks that faced each other on the edge of the fields just before you come to the shops on the left hand side at the top of the road. We lived there untill 1976 when we bought a new house on the Beeches View Estate, we watched it being built from our lounge windows

The maisonettes we lived in have gone now. They were the other side of the shops. Good riddance, too. It's much better looking now, I went rouond there last summer for a nosey.

The maisonettes we lived in have gone now. They were the other side of the shops. Good riddance, too. It's much better looking now, I went rouond there last summer for a nosey.

It changes everytime you go there, I used to live on the other side of the road there were 2 blocks of flats facing another two sidewards on to the road, we actually watched the 1st house of our own being built in the fields behind.

Hello Mike,
I should have been on that bus,from Bartley Green,however I hardley ever caught it.We left Aston in 1951,when I only had a few months of schooling left,so I was supposed to go to Tinkers Farm,I did collect my shool leaving cert.but other than that I wagged it.I used to go instead with my young uncle shovelling foundry sand,for Stanley.N.Evans in Harborne,much more fun.

That piece of film was brilliant, my brother Eric could very well have been amongst those boys, he was 12 when that was filmed, i on the other hand was just 1. Jackie

hi mystery mermaid
we were among some of the first familys to move to bartly green after the war 1949/50, lived at 21 hasbury road, then 112 adams hill, don't know the flats but the resa was called the frankly resa when I was a boy, does the bluebell woods still survive?, went to st michaels school in the village then to the new school which opened in I think 1954. wonder if my old mate denis whipps is still around.
regards
paul stacey

We move into Milebrook Grove in 1950 but stayed less than a year then to Great Barr.

I went to the Tinkers Farm Academy For Young Gentlemen from 1952 to 1957 after I had been promoted for the infants & juniors, my two elder brothers had polished off Mr Wright & I was the new boy with the new headmaster Mr Butler. I had a brief spell at Trescott Rd in 1950 when my mother thought it would be a good idea to move to the Lickey's, she was wrong and after 9 months we were back in Northfield. Happy days.
Clarkie

What a great school that was for those days beat anything we had in Vauxhall I never learnt algebra till i went to night school at 15 my children had master it at 10 you just didn,t know how poor the standard of teaching was till you left and went into the wide world. Dek

tinkers farm school...wonder if anyone recognised themselves... dated 1963

lyn

I attended Tinker's farm school during the years shown and was wanting to connect with anyone I may have know at that time. I moved to Australia in 1952 and my name is Peter Brereton !

Hi Peter. There may be members of BHF who attended Tinker's Farm School between the years you mention. If so, hope they get in touch. Have you looked on the Friends Reunited site:https://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/s...uYW1lZQUEcGFnZQUBMNQNuBpIEV1BWIcdrOowhjQDwdsx
Thanks for the reply Jenny-ann and the suggestion. I have not looked there yet as being a brand new member & still finding my way around ! I noticed the Erdington,Toronto,Vancouver, locations noted -- where are you situated?The reason for asking is that I lived in BC for a number of years --Cheers Peter

Hi Peter: Hope that you find someone that you remember from Tinkers Farm School on the Friends Reunited site. I live in Coquitlam which is located a few miles east of Vancouver. Takes about 20 minutes to reach the city by car.

Hi Peter: Hope that you find someone that you remember from Tinkers Farm School on the Friends Reunited site. I live in Coquitlam which is located a few miles east of Vancouver. Takes about 20 minutes to reach the city by car.
Jennyann -- I know Coquitlam quite well, I lived on Vancouver Island, Nanaimo, for quite a few years. Often travelled in and through with my work !!

I remember playing football against "Tinkers Farm" was it in Northfield or Frankley, I went to "Ilmington Road" Weoley Castle, but cannot remember the exact location now.
paul

Back