• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tinkers Farm Schools Northfield

Thanks Paul, I played football for Tinker's Farm for a short while in around 1951, don't recall too much about the games. I believe Tinker's Farm School was situated in Northfield but as I understand, has been long demolished and a housing estate now occupies the grounds. Peter.

During the years I was at Tinker's Farm, there were twins there as well, by the names of Patricia and David Doyle- Davidson. I believe that Pat went on to become a leader in the field of theatre. Anyone remember them at all ?

hi mystery mermaid
we were among some of the first familys to move to bartly green after the war 1949/50, lived at 21 hasbury road, then 112 adams hill, don't know the flats but the resa was called the frankly resa when I was a boy, does the bluebell woods still survive?, went to st michaels school in the village then to the new school which opened in I think 1954. wonder if my old mate denis whipps is still around.
regards
paul stacey
Yes Bluebelle woods still there just before you get into Scotland Lane, if I’m over that way I often have a drive around the reservoir..I used to go out with a lad from Hasbury Road in the 60’s Roger Baylis he had a friend that lived in Scotland Lane Alan Cleal

photo of me , ST Micheals Bartley Green,Circa 1954, . Paul

Attachments

• IMG_20140110_0001.jpg
    IMG_20140110_0001.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 6
Every Sunday, when we lived in Hasbury Road, my dad and mom and me would walk down to the "Black Horse" , pub at Illy, and some times my dad and I would walk all the way to see the "Blue Bird Chocolate Factory". Half way down to illy, was a small copse, and near to it a great ancient thatched tithe barn. Some early Summer mornings I would go with dad Mushrooming, and we would collect a carrier bag full, in the moon light I would watch the silent gliding Barn Owls coming and going, I believe they have all gone now to make way for the M5 motor way, it was a genuine magical time in that area in the 1950's. Paul

Hi everyone must apologise just noticed people have been trying to look at a domain I used to have online..I now have page on Facebook could not afford website when I retired but still keeping in touch with local folks to Tinkers and Ley Hill etc...love to you all xxxx

I went to the Tinkers Farm Academy For Young Gentlemen from 1952 to 1957 after I had been promoted for the infants & juniors, my two elder brothers had polished off Mr Wright & I was the new boy with the new headmaster Mr Butler. I had a brief spell at Trescott Rd in 1950 when my mother thought it would be a good idea to move to the Lickey's, she was wrong and after 9 months we were back in Northfield. Happy days.
Clarkie

Last edited:
I remember the reservoir at Bartley Green, we used to go down there a lot. We lived in Taysfield Road at the top of the Holloway for a few years and went to Our Lady & St Rose of Lima in Weoley Castle School, then Archbishop Masterson's in West Heath. I remember Tinker's Farm school, too. You're bring back happy memories Mysterymermaid.

Harborne
I also lived in Taysfield road for 6 years in the 70’s

Went to Tinkers Farm Boys School from 1963-1968. Mr Butler was headmaster, strict disciplinarian.
Anyone there at similar time. Remember these teachers, Mr Pollard (history), Mr Ingley (Geography), Mr Mitchell, Mr Gaskin (TD), Mr Penn (Science), Mr Sneed (PT), Mr Derry (Maths), Mr Jones (woodwork), Mr Zielinski (metalwork). Can't remember others.

Back