• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tindall Street School memorial

pjmburns

master brummie
Edit. This thread was created from several posts on another thread. If you have information about the memorial’s current whereabouts, it’s condition or the men listed, please post comments to this thread. Thank you.

Tindall Memorial referenced here (although not clear exactly where) https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/195852/

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if that Tindall Street school memorial board is kept inside? It looks in reasonably good shape. Noticeable is the shield of the City Arms and the Forward motto.

Yes Alan if you scroll down Janice’s link it says it’s kept inside on the original site The record claims it’s in ‘poor’ condition, looks like it’s been standing in a wet area, despite being inside. How lovely though to see so much information on the memorial,; school name, ranks of the men etc. Makes it so much easier to record.

Viv.

Last edited:
I was a bit concerned it seemed to be propped up outdoors. Also I can't find it on the IWM register.

Yes Janice, these certainly should go on the list. I had a person from IWM contact me suggesting that the memorials I’ve been looking at for the IWM Lives of WW1 project should all be listed when I get the time. They’re obviously keen to make sure they gather as much up to date info as possible about any memorial. So shall add it to my to do list. Viv.

Greetings from Ark Tindal Primary Academy, formerly Tindal Street school. We have launched a campaign to find this memorial plaque. Sadly it is not in the school and does not seem to have been sighted for many years, possibly last seen at the Old Boys' Club. We would love to offer it a permanent place in the school building. If anyone has any information about its whereabouts, please let us know at Ark Tindal. Thank you!

Good morning from Ark Tindal Primary Academy, formerly Tindal School / Tindal Street School. We are currently endeavouring to find the beautiful memorial mentioned in some of the threads here, to the memory of the old boys of Tindal Street school who died in the Great War. Sadly this is not in the school and has not been seen for some years, although we have been told that it used to hang in the Tindal Street Old Boys Club on Moseley Road. I attach a photo of the memorial, which was sent to us by the War Memorials Association, who thought it might be kept here. We would love to offer it a permanent place of honour in the school. If anyone has any information about its whereabouts, please let us know!

Attachments

• War memorial Tindal Street school.JPG
    War memorial Tindal Street school.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 13
Just for background information ....
The BHF was searching information about a different war memorial and in the long thread that resulted it was noted that three names on the Tindall St memorial were on the other memorial which was found in a skip.

Good morning from Ark Tindal Primary Academy, formerly Tindal School / Tindal Street School. We are currently endeavouring to find the beautiful memorial mentioned in some of the threads here, to the memory of the old boys of Tindal Street school who died in the Great War. Sadly this is not in the school and has not been seen for some years, although we have been told that it used to hang in the Tindal Street Old Boys Club on Moseley Road. I attach a photo of the memorial, which was sent to us by the War Memorials Association, who thought it might be kept here. We would love to offer it a permanent place of honour in the school. If anyone has any information about its whereabouts, please let us know!
Considering the picture you've posted here has a date and name for the photographer, it might be worth asking the WMA to get in touch with whoever posted the picture and ask them where it was at the time. By 2015 the site of the old boys club would have changed usage a couple of times so it's likely to have been moved somewhere else. At least the person who took the picture should know where it was in 2015.

Back