• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tindal Street School

Harvest Festival at the school in September 1963. Some names are given in the attachment. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    10.3 KB · Views: 27
I attended Tindal Street School in 1957 for nine months when I returned to live in Balsall Heath with my Grandparents. As I was only there a short time I know very little about the school. These are a few photos I have of the school.

Balsall Heath Tindal St School (3).JPG Balsall Heath Tindal St School (4).JPG Balsall Heath Tindal St School 1939.jpg

Evacuated children in 1939 from Tindal Street School. They were members of "Queen Mary's Gardening Squad". Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 17
My mom was one of these evacuees from Tindal St school,she is the tall girl in the back row on the right, she was 11 years old at the time, she is nearly 91 now and still going strong. She remembers Queen Mary as a nice lady and went gardening with her on many occasions. On one occasion Mom had cold hands and the Queen gave her a pair of silk gloves to keep her hands warm. I have seen the photo before but never the newspaper article. Thankyou Viv

I attended Tindal Street School briefly in 1956 or 1957. I was a rather naughty boy I'm ashamed to say but mixed up, too. I truanted on a regular basis, spent my dinner money and pinched fruit from a local greengrocer's pavement display. I remember peering through the main door of the church close by, the smell of incense and the sound of prayers. I think my brother Richard attended, too.

Evacuated children in 1939 from Tindal Street School. They were members of "Queen Mary's Gardening Squad". Viv.

View attachment 124494

I received this post from new member Gillflower about Queen Mary’s gardening scheme.

“My mom was one of the children who were evacuated to Badmington and went gardening with Queen Mary. Her name then was Dorothy Moore. She is 92 now but still remembers her time there” Gillflower.

That’s lovely to hear Gillflower and so nice to hear your mother has told you about it.

Viv.

My aunt, Elspeth Gray is second from the right on the back row and we have this photograph along with a school photo and two reports. She has dementia now, but I will try to jog her memory with photos of the school.
My mom remembers your Aunt Elspeth very well. They were in the same gardening group

My mom was one of these evacuees from Tindal St school,she is the tall girl in the back row on the right, she was 11 years old at the time, she is nearly 91 now and still going strong. She remembers Queen Mary as a nice lady and went gardening with her on many occasions. On one occasion Mom had cold hands and the Queen gave her a pair of silk gloves to keep her hands warm. I have seen the photo before but never the newspaper article. Thankyou Viv
Ask her if she remembers Jean Bowen

I received this post from new member Gillflower about Queen Mary’s gardening scheme.

“My mom was one of the children who were evacuated to Badmington and went gardening with Queen Mary. Her name then was Dorothy Moore. She is 92 now but still remembers her time there” Gillflower.

That’s lovely to hear Gillflower and so nice to hear your mother has told you about it.

Viv.
Ask her if she remembers Jean Bowen.

How wonderful. I loved to hear the stories from this time. Jean, my mother sadly died 10 years ago. She was at the coach house with Mrs Williams, who sent her to school with a baked potato in her pocket to keep her hands warm.

I wonder whether your mum remembers Ron Pankhurst who also went to Tindal Street. I met him in Malta, but didn't realise he had been to the same school as my mum.

I’ll ask mom tomorrow about Ron Pankhurst.
Mom was billeted at the kennels with Mrs Burbidge who made it obvious that she didn’t want an evacuee living there. She did things like mark her plate and tie string around the handle of her cutlery and she was only allowed to use those. After 6 or 7 months she wrote to her dad and asked him to fetch her home. She will be sorry to hear that your mom has passed.

Mum got moved on as Mr Williams who was a groom had to go near an airfield. Mum got rebilleted to a woman who only gave her a piece of bread to eat. So she asked to come home. She had only been back to B'ham once before, spent the week in the Anderson when Coventry was bombed.
Does your mother still live locally?

Hello Sue, mom moved to Tamworth about 25 years ago. She lived in Tindal Street until she got married in 1949. She remembers the school was hit by a bomb that did quite a bit of damage. The kids had to go in and retrieve what books and other equipment ( no health and safety in those days). She doesn’t remember Ron Pankhurst. It seems mom certainly wasn’t the only child to be made to feel unwelcome

I think this is Tindal Street Mixed School photo...My Great Grandad Ernest Cotterill....He was born 1881.. So this could be 1884/5...His teacher was Miss Cornish...Any feed back would be lovely..

Attachments

• 085E8C6C-0775-4D08-B893-662FEE430B69.jpeg
    085E8C6C-0775-4D08-B893-662FEE430B69.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 8
My picture is of Tindal Street J&M school, dated 1939. My Mother is with the white spot in front of her, I don`t know any of the others I`m afraid.View attachment 86892
My mother was at the school in the 30s. My picture is attached. Until I looked on this forum I was not sure of the spelling of the school / street name. I just knew she lived in Edward Road at the time.

Attachments

• Scan20008.JPG
    Scan20008.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 11
Back