• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Time Team

Sakura

master brummie
I hope this is the right place to post this.

I have just watched the 45 min. video of the Time Team taken in Jan 1997 of the excavation of the Matthew Bolton factory on South Road Handsworth. It was the Soho Mint I think as well. It was very interesting. Our son just sent it to me. Maybe there is more recent information on that. Hope they put the peoples gardens back together. :) Mo

Does anyone in Handsworth have anything to add to this. :neutral: I thought the program was very interesting and very much part of Handsworth History. Wished I had known more about it when I was young and living there. :) Mo

I love time team and remember the programme quite clearly. I always hoped they would come back to Brum and do some more digging.

I enjoyed the programme as well. I remember them diging up the gardens to locate a drive shaft if I remember it right. I also enjoyed the one in Coventry where the had to dig around a cemetery. My husband loves it and has watched them all.

I will have to get my son to send me more of the shows. Trouble is it took a long time to download. It was worth it, those are the things we miss.

Did someone end up doing a layout of the old factory?

Thanks.:) Mo

I remember the later part of the programme well, as I videotaped it, but by then most of the real business was over.
The strength of that series is the choice of subject, rather than the presentation, with its rather silly little routine side shows. Especially after over ten years, when the 'race against time' which our hero presents becomes rather tedious, although in practice I'm sure that archaeologists have to face this most of the time. After this gripe, I do think the Soho Works was a fascinating subject, but the programme was kept short to entertain and not bore viewers.
There are quite a few maps showing the old buildings in some detail, but I have not yet found a complete study of the history of the works. As I understand it, James Watt Jun moreorless set up the new Soho works by Black Patch Park, and took over most of the production from the old buildings.
I would love to know the reasons, and a bit more detail.
I was born just over the main road, in Villa Road, all my surviving grandparents lived in Grasmere Road "under the tunnel", and for nearly ten years I sang in the choir and occasionally deputised for my dad on the organ at St Michael's Church up- the hill, so I have quite a feel for the place.
Peter

I know how you feel Peter, as my fathers family lived on Victoria Road which was a hop,skip and a jump away from the old factory. My mothers family lived on William Street which was on the other side to wards Smethwick. All the Smith/Winsper side of the family lived in that area, a lot in the back houses around Brewery St.
There is a photo on the main site of my grandparents outside 3 William St, which I understand is not there now. Sad, the blackberries that grew up the air raid shelter were enormous and that is where my love for Lily of the Valley started. Strange how we remember things like that but what happened yesterday sometimes we have to work hard on remembering.
I remember St Michaels, we went to St Andrews and my Aunt went to St Peters. All beautiful Churches at the time.:) Mo

Sadly, I missed that programme, wish I could have seen it though.
Many years ago, my dad used to deliver post to Cheneys in South Road. When I left school he was very anxious for me to get a job and help out with finances so sent me to Cheneys for an interview (Office Junior, but in the Account Section and I still can't add up very well!!). Anyway....I seem to remember there was a row of original cottages or workshops within the grounds - or am I getting confused (it has been known....)

I was really interested in this particular programme as I grew up at Soho Hall Hotel in Soho Avenue (now Soho House) so the connection was strong and I knew the area well. I remember my Dad knew Les Crowder from Crowder & Brown's Garage in South Road.

I went to Sunday School at St Michael's Church which was just across the road from where I lived, and spent many hours playing in the grounds of the church when I was small. Wouldn't do that now though! I went back a few years ago and couldn't believe the state it was in.

soho works

Charlie.The cottages you are thinking about are at the Soho Foundry in Foundry Lane and they are still there.

Thanks for the link to Amazon, Oisin. Just ordered a copy of the DVD for £13. There will be some other stuff of interest as well, I'm sure.
Peter

avery's

Charlie.Yes they are still 'viewable' but only through the gates.You are not allowed inside as it is still a working site.Sorry for the delay in answering.BobS.

Back