• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tilton Road bordesley green

Thnks for posting the outdoor photo.brings back memories of playing on that wooden trapdoor.

View attachment 85625This photo of the Royal George,on the corner of Tilton Rd and Garrison Lane has been on the site before,but lost due to hacking,i think
View attachment 85625

Tilton Road in 1950 with the Royal George just out of shot (according to the label). Viv.

3C3DE8EA-C297-4EA2-9187-88B887B19986.jpeg

Scotts Place on Tilton Road, of which the entrance would have been to the left of Vivian's photo, and also Tilton Road School which can be seen in the background of Lyn's photo, which also shows the entrance to Scotts place.

Small Heath Scotts Place Tilton Road.JPG
Small Heath Tilton Rd School  .jpg

Hi,
I lived In Tilton Road from 1967 to 1969, and I remember that the owner
of the general store was called Dolly. Does anyone have any more info ,
or perhaps a photo of the shop?

Kind regards
Dave

Thank you so much for posting the Tilton Road photograph.I lived on that side of the street,just a little further up from where the photograph was taken and swung on ropes attatched to that very lampost.I lived in Tilton Road from the early 50's until 1967.attended Tilton Road school,infant and juniors.I remember Gardners shop that seemed to sell everything,and the Royal George pub,where I went to fetch my grandads beer from the offlicence in a tin jug.Both my sisters went to the school and the girls senior school.Thanks again,I have no photographs of the street and this has brought back so many memories. regards
Are You Graham Keegan by any chance?

SORRY HARLEY.....my understanding is that that Tilton Rd Schools have now been demolished...all gone !

The information I was given about the name change for KELYNGE ST was that it was named for a family of bankers, but after being found with their hands in the till the name was changed...but they kept the street named after one of the sons...GREENWAY Street !!!!

Margaret.
Thanks Margarer for this info! My Great Great Grandfather Frederick Pledger -Pledge! (Blacksmith) 1881 census has him living no1 Henley Terrace Kelynge Street ....

Hi Graham,now iv,e offered to give you clues i can,t think of any that would help you!!!
I,ll give you 1 or 2 then i,ll have to do the big reveal.:)
I lived at the bottom end of Wolseley street( number 94) i had (at the time) 2 sisters
Glennis and Jacqueline( whom you may remember) and a brother (Roy.)
I believe i was in the same class as yourself at school and we were close friends for a number
of years.Unfortunately that,s all i can give you mate,time has clouded over everything else. :)
I remember your Mum( i believe her name is/was Joyce)and she was a lovely woman but can,t
remember anyone else from your family,just too far back for me to remember.
Hope these little bits help,i,ll wait and see what you come up with,either way it,s fantastic to know you
are still around and hopefully keeping well. Take care.
I,ll give you my initials as another big clue................M.S.:)

More than enough clues ! Malcolm Sadler. So many years! I remember swapping Batman comics with you. It's good to hear from you,I hope that you are keeping well. Are you still in the Birmingham area ? I drove through Small Heath several years back and hardly recognized it,not much of the area we knew left.

Hi Graham, you did well there mate ,i thought you may struggle a little was it the initials that did the trick?
I was,nt too sure if you,d know my family or not.Did i get your mums name right,i think i did.
So good to hear from you ,hope you,ve had a good and happy life mate.
Like you i,ve driven around the area over the years and it,s totally changed now has,nt it?
I married and moved away from Birmingham in 1977 and moved to Redditch( still here) it suits me
mate, city is there if i want it and countryside (and fishing) on my doorstep!!!
Are you still in Birmingham or did you escape? :) would love to speak properly mate,is there a way to
send my number privately or you send me your,s,if you,re happy to of course. take care mate. Mal.
P.S . I,ve got some more Batman comics to swap if you want.:):);)

Hi Graham, you did well there mate ,i thought you may struggle a little was it the initials that did the trick?
I was,nt too sure if you,d know my family or not.Did i get your mums name right,i think i did.
Like you i,ve driven around the area over the years and it,s totally changed now has,nt it?
I married and moved away from Birmingham in 1977 and moved to Redditch( still here) it suits me
mate, city is there if i want it and countryside (and fishing) on my doorstep!!!
Are you still in Birmingham or did you escape? :) would love to speak properly mate,is there a way to
send my number privately or you send me your,s,if you,re happy to of course. take care mate. Mal.
Hi Mal,had no problem remembering you and your family. You got my mom's name right too,it was Joyce. I married in 1975 and moved out to Sutton Coldfield. Life has had it's usual ups and downs but that's what keeps us on our toes,overall though good. It was really good to hear from you and I will try to find a way to private message you my phone number,not the best with the technology though. All the best.Graham.

Back