• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tile cross/ marston green / dorridge

#113 confident shops on right are opposite the flats on the left. The road is Tile Cross Road looking towards the White Hart, behind the camera you`re looking towards the 14 bus terminus ( or did) I worked at Leslies sweet shop on Saturdays and Sunday mornings around 1963. Mr Carey ran the shop and Mrs Carey the hairdressers above the shop. I think one of the other shops was Wrensons. Mr Carey always stamped the pop bottles with an L in the corner and we could only give money back on bottles that were stamped.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mom worked at Kunzles on the packing line. She walked from Kingshurst everyday and in the holidays we walked with her and then walked back home. Oh those wonderful pink marshmallows - all funny shapes but enormous. MMM !

Thanks Phil and Derek
No problem i am familier with the area. Yes derek i used to be on the milk as a kid
and had breakfast in Eddies Cafe up the village. I lived on the Radleys for a while. My wife lived in Lea Village.
So Derek our paths have passed a few times i suspect.

Regards Stars
Hi Eddies Cafe. I worked for CO-OP dairy in late 60's. My round was in Shard End so breakfast at Eddies was start of each day. I accidently hit the milk machine outside with my truck! I was also leading goalscorer for the Co-op team. (Downhill then on) Colin Stark

This one is taken fom the Signal Box Marston Green Station 1950s

That's right. The shop on the right was James Newsagent. Holders wss on the left.but you cant see it. The shop on the far right was Wrensons Grocers ( probably Co - op now.) I can't recall what the sign right of the roundabout was. I recall the houses being built on that land which.went right down to Th Tavern.

Can anyone who knows Marston Green help me please?
I've been looking for a house in Chelmsley Lane, number 220. When I went there the other day, I found the highest number was 94, at Station Road junction. Was Elmdon Road once part of (and named) Chelmsley Lane, as it is opposite the Station Road end of it? That seems the only way higher numbers could have been reached.
The address is on several legal documents from the 30s and 40s, so I doubt if they are all wrong. The person who lived there at the time was a Richard Redman Huddleston.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...2.467371,-1.751375&spn=0.006327,0.013819&z=16
There never was a 220 Chelmsley Lane. I think the Huddlestons lived in Elmdon Lane. the guy you are thinking about was involved in the Free Church in Land Lane.
I can't see why the road name would change. I always imagined the Elmdon Road was so named after the Houses on the right were built in the 30s. Where could the extra 120+ houses come from to make 220?

There never was a 220 Chelmsley Lane. I think the Huddlestons lived in Elmdon Lane. the guy you are thinking about was involved in the Free Church in Land Lane.
I can't see why the road name would change. I always imagined the Elmdon Road was so named after the Houses on the right were built in the 30s. Where could the extra 120+ houses come from to make 220?
Thanks for the comment, OldDave, but on rechecking today new documents have come up (including David Huddleston's probate) giving "20 Chelmsley Lane", so I can ony imagine the references to "220" were wrong.

Great memories. Liked ANN b. I lived in Leycroft Avenue by B K school.Lived there from 1952-1970. Loved the uniforms. I went to Central. Used to go to Marston Green to watch trains go by. A pal lived in a similar pre fab in Tile Cross Road-a stones throw from Mackadown Lane.

Thanks for the comment, OldDave, but on rechecking today new documents have come up (including David Huddleston's probate) giving "20 Chelmsley Lane", so I can ony imagine the references to "220" were wrong.
That makes sense now. Do you remember John and Lizzie Homes who had the farm at the end of Alcott Lane? There we three farms there at the time. I can`t recall the name of that farm (Cottage farm maybe.

Hi Lloyd,
I'm Richard and Frances Huddleston's grandson. Mum (Christine Huddleston) and I found your post by chance earlier today, and wondered if we can help with any of your enquiries

Hi Lloyd,
I'm Richard and Frances Huddleston's grandson. Mum (Christine Huddleston) and I found your post by chance earlier today, and wondered if we can help with any of your enquiries
Thank you. The initial reason for my research was the crash of an RAF plane in Digbeth, on the former Buckingham's coachbuilders next door to Digbeth bus garage & Coach station (see post 13 on this topic), and was about 15 years ago. In part of this, I studied the family trees of the airmen lost.

Back