• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tile Cross Infants & Junior School Shiretone School

changinman1

master brummie
Hi does anyone have any memories or pictures of Tile Cross infant and Junior school, Tile Cross Road , Tile Cross.....or even remember me Karl Field , I left in 1975.

Hi ....I went to Tile Cross Infant and Junior school between 1969 and 1975 and being the old melancholy nostalgic fool that I am and BECAUSE IT WAS DEMOLISHED in 1977 I have now pictures of it at all and would be really nice to see any photos of the school from any period. It was built after the war and was only ever going to be temporary and it was in the flightpath of the airport and I mean they were real low over the school........So I would really appreciate any pics that anyone has....

Thanks in advance.....Changinman1

hI,

Where about was the school ? - I went to shirestone from 1960 to 1962 but my cousins who lived in Shrewley Crescent also went to Shirestone..

Hi Dianne:

Have a look on the Friends Reunited site at friendsreunited.co.uk There is a listing for Tile Cross Infants and Juniors with several members and also there is a photo album site on there.

Tile cross J&i ....funnily enough was on Tile Cross road......and is now an industrial estate......aaah such nice memories I have of it...

ye it is mostly pictures of the children of tile cross rather than the actual school buildings in any detail...

Shirestone Junior & Infants School B33 - Head Mr Penny (enjoy and not destroy), Deputy Head Mrs Dare. Teachers - Mrs Giles, Mrs Walker, Mrs Ashford (slapped my legs for not getting into line quickly enough when the whistle blew), Mr Griffiths.

Hi..I went to Shirestone from when it first opened until 1958 when I went to CGS. I remember a Mr Dunkerley( not sure of spelling) and Mr Jones who ran the football team. I played in the team.alongside Phil Summerhill who went on to play for the Blues. Mrs Walker,s maiden name wss Miss Pullen. I don,t remember the others. I can remember sitting in our class next to a girl Barbara Tidball,that after 60 odd years?....

Last edited:
Sadly, I think I am the only person with photo's of my old school (I would love that not to be the case). I found out from the Birmingham Evening Mail that the school was being demolished shortly. I went to the school the next day and took several photos. My big regret is that I did not take 100's rather than just these few. Oh well.

They were taken on 22nd July 1977. I am posting these for posterity as I won't be around for ever and someone may find them useful.

The number besides the images are my internal reference numbers and may be used for discussion. I have tried to recall the location as best as possible but feel free to correct. Hope that this brings back some nice memories for some - it does for me.

Finally, a big 'thank you' to www.old-maps.co.uk and Ordnance Survey who have allowed me to use a plan of the school. It took me a while to track a plan view of the school down - I'd never seen one before - and it is now easier to visualize the layout of the school. Thanks guys!

A045. I think Miss Tonks teached in this classroom.

A046 This is looking towards Cumberford Ave and the railway line is behind me.
Photo taken between the yellow and green buildings on coloured map below.
You can see the entrance to Mr Oaklands class through the door window and the flowers behind which appear in A061.

A047: This is the building the other side of the main corridor that ran down the middle of the school. I think the juniors came here for the very first time and there was a piano to the right of the door in the picture if my memory serves!

A048: A distance further away from A047

A049: I think this was the main entrance to the school. To the left is Tile Cross Road

A050: The gate faces onto Tile Cross Road

A051: The grass in front of the far buildings was used at sports day.

A052: The wonderful Weeping Willow tree which was over a little pone, I believe.

A053: I can't quite place this but I think it is the gap within the main corridor than runs down the building.

A054: The view from behind Miss Tonks classroom. Can't recall what was to the left.

A055: A view with Miss Tonks classroom to the left.

A056: Think this was the main assembly hall where we would get Spangles on our birthday!

A057: The main corridor running down the school. Tile Cross Road is directly in front.

A058: The staff just happened to be there that day. Lucky me! I wish now I had taken several of the staff. The names I believe are:
Front row left to right: Mrs Goldstraw (?)m Mr Marshall, Mrs Lysart, Mrs Hartley
Back row left to right. Mrs Lawson, Mrs Ball, Mrs Duff, Mr Atkins

A059: The main corridor running down the school. Cumberford Avenue behind, I think.

A060: The main heating block the the school.

A061. Mr Oaklands ('Beaky') classroom to the right.

A062: Possibly Mr Oaklands classroom?

A063: I think this is looking out at the gates onto Cumberford Avenue.

A064: The main entrance for vehicles. I think Mr Oaklands classroom would be to the left.

A065: Some bloke and his dog who lived on Tile Cross Road.
The school was further to the right. To the left would be Bell Lane Shops.

A coloured version of plan view to refer to picture locations.

The original un-coloured plan view of the school courtesy of www.old-maps.co.uk and Ordnance Survey.

Last edited:
gary they are wonderful photos thank goodness you took them and even more thanks for sharing them...i am sure there will come a time that someone will pop up who went to this school and will know some faces....ps i had forgotten about spangles thanks for jolting my memory i also remember the bell lane shops as both my aunt and my nan lived in bell lane in the maisonettes...happy days of my visits to see them

lyn

Hi I went to shire stone school in 1967 can remember mr penny,mr mann he had one arm mr hartells a lovely man and mrs burr.i used to sit next to a girl named Terry cooper who's mom and dad owned the grocery shop on tile cross road.can remember raymond tullot Perry hogburn john skidmore.i played in goal for the school team used to play matches round leaford.from that school I then went to whitesmore along with many others from shirestone my name is malcolm sandford.

Wow. These are great. Lovely to see some photos of my old school. Didn't think any existed. I was there from 1963 to 69.
I remember it well.
From main entrance on Tile Cross Rd
Infants to right
Juniors to left.
On plan
Red is Nusery/Reception
Green is Assembly Hall on right and staff room on left.
Pink is Mr Oaklands and Mr Atkins class rooms. Last 2 years of junior school.
I think blue is the toilet block.
Thank you.

Wow. These are great. Lovely to see some photos of my old school. Didn't think any existed. I was there from 1963 to 69.
I remember it well.
From main entrance on Tile Cross Rd
Infants to right
Juniors to left.
On plan
Red is Nusery/Reception
Green is Assembly Hall on right and staff room on left.
Pink is Mr Oaklands and Mr Atkins class rooms. Last 2 years of junior school.
I think blue is the toilet block.
Thank you.
Hello, came across this site by accident and I was at the school same time as you I think ? - I am Mark Skinner, used to live on Bell Lane Next to Maxine Payne and 2 doors from Sharps the shop opposite the Bell Pub, been racking my brains for girls called Jane, remember Rooker and Wilson?

Hi I went to shire stone school in 1967 can remember mr penny,mr mann he had one arm mr hartells a lovely man and mrs burr.i used to sit next to a girl named Terry cooper who's mom and dad owned the grocery shop on tile cross road.can remember raymond tullot Perry hogburn john skidmore.i played in goal for the school team used to play matches round leaford.from that school I then went to whitesmore along with many others from shirestone my name is malcolm sandford.
Obviously “Lockdown” is taking many people down memory lane ! - Tile Cross J&I Where I went was actually on Tile Cross road leading onto Mackadown lane, If you went to Shirestone school, pretty sure Terry Cooper went there, she came to Sir Wilfrid Martineau and she was my girlfriend for a while!, also my long time girlfriend, Myra Johnson (very, very pretty!) went to Shirestone but was in the year above Raymond Tullet who lived opposite the upper school of Sir Wilfrid, he was in my year, the name Skidmore rings a bell! - Regards, Mark Skinner

Obviously “Lockdown” is taking many people down memory lane ! - Tile Cross J&I Where I went was actually on Tile Cross road leading onto Mackadown lane, If you went to Shirestone school, pretty sure Terry Cooper went there, she came to Sir Wilfrid Martineau and she was my girlfriend for a while!, also my long time girlfriend, Myra Johnson (very, very pretty!) went to Shirestone but was in the year above Raymond Tullet who lived opposite the upper school of Sir Wilfrid, he was in my year, the name Skidmore rings a bell! - Regards, Mark Skinner
Hi there mark did you live facing the bell pub think you had a name plate on your house.think you went to tile cross school with a couple of mates of mine Derek Shelley aka Zeke and bernard walford bunny sadly both no longer with us.hope you and your family are all safe and well at this difficult time the world is facing.oh by the way Terry did go to shirestone she sat next to me.think she married another mate of mine ray kebabs.take care mark all the best

Hello, came across this site by accident and I was at the school same time as you I think ? - I am Mark Skinner, used to live on Bell Lane Next to Maxine Payne and 2 doors from Sharps the shop opposite the Bell Pub, been racking my brains for girls called Jane, remember Rooker and Wilson?
Hi the name Mark Skinner rings a bell but I can't remember what you looked like. I was friends with Susan and Denise. This is a school photo when I first started. Do you recognize anyone? Jane aged 5.jpg

Sorry for late reply, message went to my junk mail, yes, that photo was my class!
top row left to right -4th Gary Walton, 5th Billy Moss?
next row down - 1st Robert Shaw, 2nd - ME!,4th Kim?,5th Stephen Dowson,6th Karen Cauldwell?
next row down- Sorry, don’ recognise anybody
bottom row - 1st &2nd Kirk and Kevin Moseley,
1st kid on floor on left - Peter Sherrat? (Sorry but really irritating child!) and on the right, pretty sure Phillip Hoddinut-) I have amazed myself that I can recall those names as I have a terrible memory, maybe the 2 large afternoon whiskies have helped!

Sorry for late reply, message went to my junk mail, yes, that photo was my class!
top row left to right -4th Gary Walton, 5th Billy Moss?
next row down - 1st Robert Shaw, 2nd - ME!,4th Kim?,5th Stephen Dowson,6th Karen Cauldwell?
next row down- Sorry, don’ recognise anybody
bottom row - 1st &2nd Kirk and Kevin Moseley,
1st kid on floor on left - Peter Sherrat? (Sorry but really irritating child!) and on the right, pretty sure Phillip Hoddinut-) I have amazed myself that I can recall those names as I have a terrible memory, maybe the 2 large afternoon whiskies have helped!
You have a better memory than me. Yes I remember Robert now you remind me. He was very quiet and studious. I also remember Kirk and Kevin the twins. The girl far right second row down was my friend Susan .
Third row down 4th from left next to teacher is me.
Somewhere in there is John March. His parents garden backed onto ours and after the first tern our mom''s took it in turns taking and collecting us while we were in infants. I think he is far right 3rd row down but not sure. One sat on floor on right might be Phil or Philip not sure.

Hi there I remember you I think you went to whitesmore school and many years ago think we had a drink at the southern Cross pub on chelmsley wood town centre.as I said it was many years ago glad to see that your safe and well at this difficult moment in time.my name is malcolmsandford does that ring any bells with you.

Hi there Malcolm, yes I remember the name that's about all I do remember .Wow the southern cross that's long gone,hope you well and keep looking after yourself.dont remember the drink in there too far back lol

Hi all. I’ve just joined this site - my name is Brian Tilley and I went to Shirestone from 1967 to ’72. What a great school is was with lovely teachers. What a shame that the standard of my secondary schooling (on the Wood) was quite the same....but I survived! I remember Mr.Penny (very strict, but fair), Mrs Dare, Mr.Mann, Mrs Walker, Mr.Griffiths, Mr.Dargue (great lessons where he played guitar and we sang), Miss Williams, Mr.Mason, Mrs.Ashford (who slapped my legs too!). I was in the football team and we won the league in my last year. Great players - Shaw in goal, Wilkes with his slide tackles, Fowler (no pun intended), Steadman, Gamble, Maycock, Ashford, Heaven, to name but a few. Some lovely girls there too as I recall. A long time ago now but truly happy days.

Hi there mark did you live facing the bell pub think you had a name plate on your house.think you went to tile cross school with a couple of mates of mine Derek Shelley aka Zeke and bernard walford bunny sadly both no longer with us.hope you and your family are all safe and well at this difficult time the world is facing.oh by the way Terry did go to shirestone she sat next to me.think she married another mate of mine ray kebabs.take care mark all the best
Hi, I didn't go to school round here but I knew Derek Shelley many years ago. I didn't know he was no longer with us. When did he pass away?

Hi all. I’ve just joined this site - my name is Brian Tilley and I went to Shirestone from 1967 to ’72. What a great school is was with lovely teachers. What a shame that the standard of my secondary schooling (on the Wood) was quite the same....but I survived! I remember Mr.Penny (very strict, but fair), Mrs Dare, Mr.Mann, Mrs Walker, Mr.Griffiths, Mr.Dargue (great lessons where he played guitar and we sang), Miss Williams, Mr.Mason, Mrs.Ashford (who slapped my legs too!). I was in the football team and we won the league in my last year. Great players - Shaw in goal, Wilkes with his slide tackles, Fowler (no pun intended), Steadman, Gamble, Maycock, Ashford, Heaven, to name but a few. Some lovely girls there too as I recall. A long time ago now but truly happy days.

Hi I
Hi my name was Yvonne Gower at school, I attended Shirestone 1967-72, then I went to Kingshurst Comp. I remember most of the teachers you mention. Also Mrs Wyatt, Mr McGillie, Mrs Pittaway, Mrs Harris. I remember you, Neil Steadman, Phillip Mann, Colin Race, Steve Ashford. Susan Hewlett Sandra Pow and Jacqueline Turner. Karen Lloyd whose parents had a shop at Meadway shops. Happy days!

Oh my goodness! I have just logged on here for the first time tonight, punched in Tile Cross and I am convinced this is a picture of my brothers class. Please can anyone confirm that it is my brother Martin Dennis Jones sitting next to the teacher, front row with his hands crossed. Best wishes to all

Also is the teacher Mrs Burrows?
Sadly, I think I am the only person with photo's of my old school (I would love that not to be the case). I found out from the Birmingham Evening Mail that the school was being demolished shortly. I went to the school the next day and took several photos. My big regret is that I did not take 100's rather than just these few. Oh well.

They were taken on 22nd July 1977. I am posting these for posterity as I won't be around for ever and someone may find them useful.

The number besides the images are my internal reference numbers and may be used for discussion. I have tried to recall the location as best as possible but feel free to correct. Hope that this brings back some nice memories for some - it does for me.

Finally, a big 'thank you' to www.old-maps.co.uk and Ordnance Survey who have allowed me to use a plan of the school. It took me a while to track a plan view of the school down - I'd never seen one before - and it is now easier to visualize the layout of the school. Thanks guys!

View attachment 132180
A045. I think Miss Tonks teached in this classroom.

View attachment 132181
A046 This is looking towards Cumberford Ave and the railway line is behind me.
Photo taken between the yellow and green buildings on coloured map below.
You can see the entrance to Mr Oaklands class through the door window and the flowers behind which appear in A061.

View attachment 132182
A047: This is the building the other side of the main corridor that ran down the middle of the school. I think the juniors came here for the very first time and there was a piano to the right of the door in the picture if my memory serves!

View attachment 132183
A048: A distance further away from A047

View attachment 132184
A049: I think this was the main entrance to the school. To the left is Tile Cross Road

View attachment 132185
A050: The gate faces onto Tile Cross Road

View attachment 132186
A051: The grass in front of the far buildings was used at sports day.

View attachment 132187
A052: The wonderful Weeping Willow tree which was over a little pone, I believe.

View attachment 132188
A053: I can't quite place this but I think it is the gap within the main corridor than runs down the building.

View attachment 132189
A054: The view from behind Miss Tonks classroom. Can't recall what was to the left.

View attachment 132190
A055: A view with Miss Tonks classroom to the left.

View attachment 132191
A056: Think this was the main assembly hall where we would get Spangles on our birthday!

View attachment 132192
A057: The main corridor running down the school. Tile Cross Road is directly in front.

View attachment 132194
A058: The staff just happened to be there that day. Lucky me! I wish now I had taken several of the staff. The names I believe are:
Front row left to right: Mrs Goldstraw (?)m Mr Marshall, Mrs Lysart, Mrs Hartley
Back row left to right. Mrs Lawson, Mrs Ball, Mrs Duff, Mr Atkins

View attachment 132195
A059: The main corridor running down the school. Cumberford Avenue behind, I think.

View attachment 132196
A060: The main heating block the the school.

View attachment 132197
A061. Mr Oaklands ('Beaky') classroom to the right.

View attachment 132198
A062: Possibly Mr Oaklands classroom?

View attachment 132199
A063: I think this is looking out at the gates onto Cumberford Avenue.

View attachment 132200
A064: The main entrance for vehicles. I think Mr Oaklands classroom would be to the left.

View attachment 132201
A065: Some bloke and his dog who lived on Tile Cross Road.
The school was further to the right. To the left would be Bell Lane Shops.

A coloured version of plan view to refer to picture locations.

View attachment 132259

The original un-coloured plan view of the school courtesy of www.old-maps.co.uk and Ordnance Survey.

View attachment 132202
Gary, I can't thank you enough for taking and posting these photo's. In my mind I have gone through those corridors and playgrounds and I'm quite honestly sitting here stunned to see the images for real!. I will now be able to show my children, even though they are now fully grown, what school was like! I genuinely am so grateful. If you have any memoirs of my Brother Martin Dennis Jones I would be so grateful to hear from you. Thank you again, still in shock, just stumbled upon this site tonight and feel I have struck gold!

Back