• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tile Cross Infants & Junior School Shiretone School

Hi all. I’ve just joined this site - my name is Brian Tilley and I went to Shirestone from 1967 to ’72. What a great school is was with lovely teachers. What a shame that the standard of my secondary schooling (on the Wood) was quite the same....but I survived! I remember Mr.Penny (very strict, but fair), Mrs Dare, Mr.Mann, Mrs Walker, Mr.Griffiths, Mr.Dargue (great lessons where he played guitar and we sang), Miss Williams, Mr.Mason, Mrs.Ashford (who slapped my legs too!). I was in the football team and we won the league in my last year. Great players - Shaw in goal, Wilkes with his slide tackles, Fowler (no pun intended), Steadman, Gamble, Maycock, Ashford, Heaven, to name but a few. Some lovely girls there too as I recall. A long time ago now but truly happy days.
Gamble was Mark, my wife's brother. Great footballer.

Hi,

I registered/joined this forum last week, but that & my posts appear to have vanished, so re-joined.

I went to Shirestone infants & juniors from approx '68-'72 or 73. I'm sure Mr Spall was one of my teachers, along with Harrington (bearded fellow that used to drive us to away cricket matches) Mrs Williams, Pittaway. Head Mr Penny ("Enjoy, do not destroy") his summer hols' closing speech at assembly.

I was in the cricket team with Philip (Philpot) Poulton, Mark (Quirp) McWhirter (who's folks owned the launderette on Tile Cross Rd). Gary Kennedy (My best mate - R.I.P.), Alan Keogh, & a mad Aborigine called Michael (who's folks had the chippy on Mackadown Lane. Other guys were Nathan (Nate) Porter, Steve Gardner (Who's folks owned Carol's I think it was. Paul Candelant, Steve Turner, Philip Harris, Carl Heard, Steven Eaton, Martin Hunt to name but a few.

Some of the girls I remember; Elaine Gray, Wendy White, Karen Wilkins, Deborah Pack, Julia Clark, Julie Scarrat, Jane West (In a lower year) Sally Hodgson (Nee Hammond), Valerie Broadhurst, & Julie Charlton.

Apologies to anyone I've mentioned with a miss-spelling of your name.

Me, I'm Ian (Yella) Greenwood. I loved it at Shirestone...best school ever. Kingshurst Comp was naff.

Back