• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tie in Brophy parents with kids

forward

master brummie
Looking again at brick walls. Trying to tie in parents Brophy (spelt different ways on later Censuses, with children on 1841 census. Connecting William with parents is the main objective. Once established it might give some confidence in tracing parents in Ireland, probably Kilkenny area.

Unfortunately can't trace on 1851 census.

1841 census
Michael 35
Mary Ann 30
( both it seems from Ireland, resesech suggests Kilkenny area).
Catherine 9
Michael 7
Thomas 5
Hannah 4
William 6 or 4
Thomas 7 months

Thanks.

Last edited:
A couple of things.

I think the second Thomas is actually James, birth reg Dec 1840, death Jun 1842.

If so then William's birth was registered Jun 1839, did he marry Emily Lloyd?

Their mmn would then be Jones.

Hannah I think was actually born 1831ish, her age is out of order on 1841 census so is probably wrong. She appears to marry James Ingram in 1850.

Michael's (father) death registered Mar 1844.

And marriage for Michael Brophy and Mary Jones, 24 Aug 1828 St Mary's Handsworth.

Thanks. I have Emily Lloyd as William spouse and a Jones, will have to check my notes on where from.

I've just taken it they would have married in Ireland then came to UK but that of course may not be so.

The marriage in Handsworth would make Mary 17 at the time which is possible but would have thought 1841 census would show more children reflecting that but?

I was hoping to find William with at least one other sibling along with Michael and Mary but perhaps a hope too far.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Don't forget that:

Ages in the 1841 Census
The census takers were instructed to give the exact ages of children but to round the ages of those older than 15 down to a lower multiple of 5. For example, a 59-year-old person would be listed as 55.

So on 1841 census Mary Ann could be 34.

Yes thanks I had forgotten the round up. This morning search on 1861 C brings up Thomas with among others sister Catherine (although hard to read on mobile age seems wrong), however it show sister in law Emily Lloyd of the right age to be wife of William? Just checked print version it reads Catherine age 28 which is bang on. Not sure it helps much but interesting

Back