• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ticket Machine

I think London used the TIM right up to the end of conductors. Before the Setright Speed, Midland Red used a machine with buttons on the top for the different fares and the conductor then moved a lever across the front of the machine to print and issue the tickets. No idea what that was called. I am talking about 1950 when my mother used to ask for a penny ha'penny and a penny child's to take me home from school. Couldn't understand why half fare wasn't three farthings!

The Midland Red "machine with buttons on the top for the different fares" was the Clayton-Harris "Verometer", patented by a Mr Harris and made by Clayton Dewandre Ltd of Lincoln. Midland Red and Lincoln Corporation were the only large users of this machine whose fate was sealed when it was discovered thet when worn, the conductor could issue shilling tickets but the machine could then be 'adjusted' to only add the same number of pence to the totals - i.e. a 3/- ticket printed and issued and a 3d amount added, so 2/9 "lost" to the conductor's benefit!
Also, Midland Red child fares were 2/3 of adult, not half explaining your misunderstanding of child fares at the time - Returns were similarly fare plus 2/3. The reduction to half fares for children and plus 1/2 for returns came as a result of the 1950s uptake of private cars and consequent reduction in passenger numbers, to give better value for money. Of course it wasn't totally succesful and the inevitable and later annual increase in fares soon followed.
verometer.jpg

I remember the TIM machine. I was Based at Miller Street in the mid 60s. It was issued to me for a six months trial. I found it lighter, quicker and easies to use than the normal machine of that time, Roy Gregory 59989 Conductor and 47649 Driver.

Back