• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thursfield William /Evelyn nee Hand(s)

S

susan

Hi:).....My grandparents were the above people.Grandad(lovely man)came from Aston,Nan not sure.I did have contact with a relative of hers called Jo Collins who was a ballet dancer,he told me of another relative that had done a lot of research into Hand(s) but before I could contact her I was told she had died.....where is all her research?...I do hope its not lost.
They kept a pub in Small Heath,then latterly the Hare and Hounds in Minworth...Grandad lost some of his fingers in an accident in a factory that was by Bromford Bridge but I cant remember the name was it the AMAC
They eventually lived in Spring Lane Erdington...just up the road from the haunted house...anyone remember that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Keith

Probably the best contact in the UK for Thursfields is a lady who provided me with a lot of information, Pat Gould (nee Thursfield) who I used to be able to contact at this email address [email protected] ?
She is my 6th cousin – our common Thursfield ancestors married in Wednesbury in 1768.

I’ve probably got more information about my dad’s lot than Pat but it depends which line of the Thursfields your bhwr colleague comes from? You could advise them to email Pat is always pleased to hear from Thursfields

Hope this helps Gordon

"Hi SUSAN, I HAVE HAD THIS EMAIL FROM MY COUSIN GORDON THURSFIELD .I HOPE THIS HELPS? "
ASTON

Last edited:
Thursfield of Interest

Hi Susan, Keith & Thursfield interests,:)

Noticed a Eva Thursfield living in Whitmore Road (Sparkhill/Small Heath)
in 1930 Electoral Roll, house number (i) she is register RW & DW.
Maybe of interest to your researches, Cheers John Y :cool:

Thursfield /Hand

Hi Keith

Probably the best contact in the UK for Thursfields is a lady who provided me with a lot of information, Pat Gould (nee Thursfield) who I used to be able to contact at this email address [email protected] ?
She is my 6th cousin – our common Thursfield ancestors married in Wednesbury in 1768.

I’ve probably got more information about my dad’s lot than Pat but it depends which line of the Thursfields your bhwr colleague comes from? You could advise them to email Pat is always pleased to hear from Thursfields

Hope this helps Gordon

"Hi SUSAN, I HAVE HAD THIS EMAIL FROM MY COUSIN GORDON THURSFIELD .I HOPE THIS HELPS? "
ASTON
Hi thanks for this ...I did meet Pat once,I went with my sister to her house and she fetched out files and files of info,my PC had a wobbler and I lost contact with her...she is so knowlegable.My grandfathers father was Arthur and his wife Florence.I think we were connected from .mid 1860's ish through two brothers .All my very reasearch is with my Mum who I will be visiting on Thurs I will try again with the email address...thank you both...Susan

Hi Susan, that factory in Bromford were your Grandad lost his body parts could have been ASTON CHAIN & HOOK ?they moved to Bromford Bridge around 1930? .Very heavy engineering, lots of big machines.
Just a thought.
ASTON

Amac

Hi Folks :) I think that large factory you,re on about, AMAC in
Bromford was Aeroplane Motor Aluminium Castings,,(A M A C )
or something very similar? Cheers John Y :cool:

Thursfield /Hand

Hi Susan, Keith & Thursfield interests,:)

Noticed a Eva Thursfield living in Whitmore Road (Sparkhill/Small Heath)
in 1930 Electoral Roll, house number (i) she is register RW & DW.
Maybe of interest to your researches, Cheers John Y :cool:
Thanks but my Nan was living in Erdington at a cafe on Tyburn Rd with her Dad...... Rowland Hand..dont know the cafe name...Kellys (might tell me when I can investigate morea)...might be someone else in another branch....

Thursfield /Hand

Hi Susan, that factory in Bromford were your Grandad lost his body parts could have been ASTON CHAIN & HOOK ?they moved to Bromford Bridge around 1930? .Very heavy engineering, lots of big machines.
Just a thought.
ASTON

Hi thanks...I think thats where it was ! it was so touching a while back because we found a photo of him and my Mum had never seen him with all his fingers and without the big dent in his head from a motorcycle accident...tough old days:(

Thursfield /Hand

Hi Folks :) I think that large factory you,re on about, AMAC in
Bromford was Aeroplane Motor Aluminium Castings,,(A M A C )
or something very similar? Cheers John Y :cool:

Thanks...I think it was Aston Chain and Hook that Grandad worked at but I must have dug AMAC up from somewhere?...must kep digging

Re: William Thursfield/Evelyn nee Hand(s)

Hi all....thanks to all the lovely people who have helped me so far..still feeling helpful?
I did try Pat G and the email I was given,no reply so might have reached a dead end with the contact ..shame.
I wonder if the some one can help with two things....my gt gt grandfather is Thomas Thursfield born 23rd March 1844 at 45.Fisher St (Aston?)...I now lose it...his father is John and his mother is Hannah formerly Hesketh.how do I go down her and his side?..how can I find anything about them...ALSO.....his son Arthur was born 10th oct 1878 back 25 Long Row ,his mother is Emma formerly Hardeman...how do I find about her ....PLEASE ...could you also tell me thebest sites to go delving on?...thanks all.x

Hi Susan

Just to let you know that Pat G (Thursfield) can be found on genesreunited. She's one of my 3rd or 4th cousins also and has allowed me access to her tree.:)

Thomas Thursfield married Emma hardeman 1863

1871 they were living High Park street duddeston

Dwelling: 21 3 Back Long Acre
Census Place: Aston, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341725 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3034 Folio 77 Page 30
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Thomas THURSFIELD M 38 M Bham, Warwick, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Gun Implement Maker
Emma THURSFIELD M 35 F Bham, Warwick, England
Rel: Wife
Jane THURSFIELD 16 F Bham, Warwick, England
Rel: Daur
Occ: Cartridge Wadder
Ellen THURSFIELD 13 F Bham, Warwick, England
Occ: Scholar
Rose THURSFIELD 10 F Bham, Warwick, England
Albert THURSFIELD 6 M Bham, Warwick, England
Rel: Son
Arthur THURSFIELD 2 M Bham, Warwick, England
Charles THURSFIELD 3 m M Bham, Warwick, England

1891 they were in Thimble mill lane with

Albert 16,Arthur 12,Charles 10,Elizabeth 8,William h 4
also frederick Corbet 34Rosetta Corbett (nee thursfield) age34(she is Thomas sister)

1861 Saltisford,St Mary warwick

William Hardeman age 45 b. Bromsgrove shoemaker
Charlotte age 45 b. Warwick
Emma age 18 boot closer b, Birmingham
Eliza 14 b,Warwick
William 12 b. Warwick
Ellen 7 b. birmingham
Jane 3 b. Warwick

1851 Bridewell lane Warwick
William Hardeman age 33 b. bromsgrove Shoemaker
Charlotte age 33
Charlotte age 14 b. Stratford
Ann 12
Emma 8
Eliza 3
William 15 months

William Hardeman married Charlotte Douglas
9th june 1836, St Mary,Warwick

Hi Susan. There is an Emma Hardeman, on the 1861 census living at 62 Newtown Row, Birmingham, age 15, living with her parents and 4 siblings. The parents are Thomas and Sarah Hardeman. Thomas is shown as a Furniture Broker, and Emma is shown as assisting in the shop.

Do you think this might be the correct one, and would you like details of the siblings.

barrie

Late again, story of my life.

Last edited:

Hello Susan
I accidently found this site & was so surprised as I met your Nan & Grandad many years ago in the late 60's early 70's we used to go to a place called the Bromford Social Club on Church Road Erdington to play bingo & have a drink meet up with friends which is where they used to go too I didn't know them very well but to say hello etc. There used to be a cafe on the corner of Holly Lane & Tyburn Road going towards the Dunlop perhaps this is the one you are looking for but I can't remember the name. Also my husband John lived in Fern Road he says he can remember having green groceries from a family called Hands who had a daughter named Christine the shop was in Barnabas Road Erdington. I don't know if any of this is helpful but I do hope so. Sorry I can't help any more at this time but this has brought some lovely memories of my own back.
I am a Brummie from Pype Hayes.
PS:Just found the name of the cafe if it is the one you are looking for on the corner of Holly Lane & Tyburn Road going towards the Dunlop was Jelfs but sadly it is not there anymore. Also it is the Aston Chain & Hook on Bromford Lane.

Hi Susan. There is an Emma Hardeman, on the 1861 census living at 62 Newtown Row, Birmingham, age 15, living with her parents and 4 siblings. The parents are Thomas and Sarah Hardeman. Thomas is shown as a Furniture Broker, and Emma is shown as assisting in the shop.

Do you think this might be the correct one, and would you like details of the siblings.

barrie

Late again, story of my life.

OOOhh you lovely man...this sounds like it could be a new thread for me.thanks.....any info would be useful..and VERY much appeciated........sorry for the late reply gremlins in laptop....Suze

Hello twinkletoes....thanks for his memeory and sorry for late response...trouble with gremlins....any info is VERY much appreciated and all memories like wise....the name of the cafe would be useful,as my Mum cant remember.....Suze

Hi Susan,

I may or may not be able to help with your HANDS. My lot moved in from Kings Norton and Bromsgrove. I have a large database and several trees.
If you could let me have some early HANDS names, addresses and date I will have a look.

Are you looking for HANDS websites still?

Kind regards

Mike

Susan, I have been on to my cousin GORDON THURSFIELD & HE HAS GIVE ME THE EMAIL FOR PAT G: [email protected]
he tells me he has spoken to her only last week so the is the right address.
GOOD LUCK
By the way you & he I think are related via Emma Hardeman?
ALL THE BEST THE BARON (ASTON)

Additions: INFO from my cousin
Descendants of Thomas Thursfield
Page 1
19 Nov 2008
1. Thomas Thursfield (b.18 Mar 1843-Birmingham Duke Street 4 court)
sp: Emma Hardeman (b.Cal 1849-Birmingham;m.13 Jul 1863)
2. Emma Jane Thursfield (c.28 Aug 1864-Birmingham Saint Stephen)
sp: Joseph Robinson (b.Cal 1866-Birmingham;m.3 Oct 1886)
3. Lillie Robinson (b.Cal 1889-Aston,Saltley)
3. Gertrude Robinson (b.Cal 1891-Aston,Saltley)
2. Ellen Thursfield (b.Cal 1868-Birmingham)
2. Rose Thursfield (b.Cal 1871-Birmingham)
2. Albert Edward Thursfield (b.3 Nov 1874-Aston,33 Railway Terrace)
2. Arthur Thursfield (b.27 Oct 1875-Birmingham)
sp: Louisa Watson (m.23 Dec 1899)
3. John Thomas Thursfield (b.Cal 1899)
3. Frances Thursfield (b.Cal 1905)
3. William Thursfield (b.Cal 1906)
3. Archibald Thursfield (b.Cal 1908)
3. Albert Thursfield (b.Cal 1912)
sp: UNKNOWN
4. David W Thursfield
3. Lewis Thursfield (b.SepQ 1917-Aston District)
3. Beatrice L Thursfield (b.SepQ 1920-Aston District)
2. Charles Thursfield (b.Cal 1881-Birmingham)
2. Elizabeth Thursfield (b.23 Aug 1883-Birmingham;d.22 Feb 1954)
2. William Thursfield (b.Cal 1887-Birmingham)

Ancestors of Thomas Thursfield
Page 1
19 Nov 2008
5. Thomas Thursfield (m.12 Oct 1731;b.11 Sep 1760-Weeford,Saint Mary the Virgin)
4. Richard Thursfield (c.14 Aug 1743-Weeford,Saint Mary the Virgin;m.2 Oct 1768;b.25 Mar 1796-Weeford,Saint Mary the Virgin)
6. John Birch
5. Rebecca Birch (c.2 Mar 1706-Rushall;b.21 Oct 1773-Weeford,Saint Mary the Virgin)
6. Anne
3. James Thursfield (c.30 Jun 1779-Shenstone Saint John The Baptist;m.15 Apr 1804)
4. Elizabeth Jervise (b.Cal 1743;b.18 Feb 1816-Weeford,Saint Mary the Virgin)
2. James Thursfield (c.7 Aug 1808-Shenstone Saint John The Baptist;m.4 Jul 1831;d.Bef 3 Apr 1881)
3. Elizabeth Westby
1. Thomas Thursfield (b.18 Mar 1843-Birmingham Duke Street 4 court;m.13 Jul 1863)
2. Sarah Wyton (b.Cal 1813-Oxford)

HOPE THIS HELPS

My brother in law is Peter Thursfield, i have done his tree with some help from Pat Gould this is his kinship report to other Thursfields as you can see Pat Gould is on here.

Name Relationship with Peter Thursfield Civil Canon
Archer, Grace Edith Wife of the 6th cousin once removed
Bartley, Clara Wife of the 3rd cousin 4 times removed
Bate, Clara Wife of the 3rd cousin 4 times removed
Birch, Rebecca 6th great-grandmother VIII 8
Brittain, Dinah Wife of the 1st cousin 6 times removed
Brooks, Bertha Great-grandmother III 3
Chapman, Lucy Wife of the 4th cousin 3 times removed
Gould, Ian M Husband of the 7th cousin
Jackson, Sarah 3rd great-grandmother V 5
Kendrick, Ann Wife of the 5th great-granduncle
Miatt-Myott, Ellen Wife of the 2nd cousin 5 times removed
Morgan, Ellen K P Mother I 1
Mytton, Yvonne Audrey Wife
Rope, Sarah Wife of the 5th cousin twice removed
Rostance, Ann 2nd great-grandmother IV 4
Sanders, Alice 4th great-grandmother VI 6
Shorthose, Kenneth Husband of the 1st cousin
Staley, Nancy Wife of the uncle
Thursfield, Ann 4th great-grandaunt VIII 7
Thursfield, Ann Great-grandaunt V 4
Thursfield, Barbara 2nd great-grandaunt VI 5
Thursfield, Benjamin 2nd cousin 5 times removed XI 8
Thursfield, Edith 2nd great-grandaunt VI 5
Thursfield, Edmund Great-granduncle V 4
Thursfield, Emily Great-grandaunt V 4
Thursfield, Fanny Great-grandaunt V 4
Thursfield, Frances Great-grandaunt V 4
Thursfield, Frederick Granduncle IV 3
Thursfield, George Great-grandfather III 3
Thursfield, Henry 2nd great-granduncle VI 5
Thursfield, J C 6th cousin once removed XV 8
Thursfield, Jane Great-grandaunt V 4
Thursfield, Johanna 2nd great-grandaunt VI 5
Thursfield, John 5th great-grandfather VII 7
Thursfield, John 4th great-granduncle VIII 7
Thursfield, John 3rd great-grandfather V 5
Thursfield, John 2nd great-grandfather IV 4
Thursfield, John Great-granduncle V 4
Thursfield, Joseph 1st cousin 6 times removed X 8
Thursfield, Joseph 3rd cousin 4 times removed XII 8
Thursfield, Joseph 4th cousin 3 times removed XIII 8
Thursfield, Joseph 5th cousin twice removed XIV 8
Thursfield, Lewis Grandfather II 2
Thursfield, Lionel Father I 1
Thursfield, Louisa 2nd great-grandaunt VI 5
Thursfield, Louisa Great-grandaunt V 4
Thursfield, Lucy 2nd great-grandaunt VI 5
Thursfield, Lydia Grandaunt IV 3
Thursfield, Maria 2nd great-grandaunt VI 5
Thursfield, Mary 4th great-grandaunt VIII 7
Thursfield, P. 1st cousin IV 2
Thursfield, Patricia A 7th cousin XVI 8
Thursfield, Peter Self 0
Thursfield, Samuel 5th great-granduncle IX 8
Thursfield, Samuel 4th great-grandfather VI 6
Thursfield, Samuel 3rd great-granduncle VII 6
Thursfield, Sandra 1st cousin IV 2
Thursfield, Sarah 5th great-grandaunt IX 8
Thursfield, Sarah 3rd great-grandaunt VII 6
Name Relationship with Peter Thursfield Civil Canon
Thursfield, Stephen J Brother II 1
Thursfield, Terrence Uncle III 2
Thursfield, Thomas 6th great-grandfather VIII 8
Thursfield, Thomas 5th great-granduncle IX 8
Thursfield, Thomas 4th great-granduncle VIII 7
Thursfield, William 3rd great-granduncle VII 6
Tonks, Isabella Wife of the 3rd cousin 4 times removed
Treadwell, Doris Grandmother II 2​
Unk, Mary Wife of the 1st cousin 6 times re

Additions: INFO from my cousin
Descendants of Thomas Thursfield
Page 1
19 Nov 2008
1. Thomas Thursfield (b.18 Mar 1843-Birmingham Duke Street 4 court)
sp: Emma Hardeman (b.Cal 1849-Birmingham;m.13 Jul 1863)
2. Emma Jane Thursfield (c.28 Aug 1864-Birmingham Saint Stephen)
sp: Joseph Robinson (b.Cal 1866-Birmingham;m.3 Oct 1886)
3. Lillie Robinson (b.Cal 1889-Aston,Saltley)
3. Gertrude Robinson (b.Cal 1891-Aston,Saltley)
2. Ellen Thursfield (b.Cal 1868-Birmingham)
2. Rose Thursfield (b.Cal 1871-Birmingham)
2. Albert Edward Thursfield (b.3 Nov 1874-Aston,33 Railway Terrace)
2. Arthur Thursfield (b.27 Oct 1875-Birmingham)
sp: Louisa Watson (m.23 Dec 1899)
3. John Thomas Thursfield (b.Cal 1899)
3. Frances Thursfield (b.Cal 1905)
3. William Thursfield (b.Cal 1906)
3. Archibald Thursfield (b.Cal 1908)
3. Albert Thursfield (b.Cal 1912)
sp: UNKNOWN
4. David W Thursfield
3. Lewis Thursfield (b.SepQ 1917-Aston District)
3. Beatrice L Thursfield (b.SepQ 1920-Aston District)
2. Charles Thursfield (b.Cal 1881-Birmingham)
2. Elizabeth Thursfield (b.23 Aug 1883-Birmingham;d.22 Feb 1954)
2. William Thursfield (b.Cal 1887-Birmingham)

Ancestors of Thomas Thursfield
Page 1
19 Nov 2008
5. Thomas Thursfield (m.12 Oct 1731;b.11 Sep 1760-Weeford,Saint Mary the Virgin)
4. Richard Thursfield (c.14 Aug 1743-Weeford,Saint Mary the Virgin;m.2 Oct 1768;b.25 Mar 1796-Weeford,Saint Mary the Virgin)
6. John Birch
5. Rebecca Birch (c.2 Mar 1706-Rushall;b.21 Oct 1773-Weeford,Saint Mary the Virgin)
6. Anne
3. James Thursfield (c.30 Jun 1779-Shenstone Saint John The Baptist;m.15 Apr 1804)
4. Elizabeth Jervise (b.Cal 1743;b.18 Feb 1816-Weeford,Saint Mary the Virgin)
2. James Thursfield (c.7 Aug 1808-Shenstone Saint John The Baptist;m.4 Jul 1831;d.Bef 3 Apr 1881)
3. Elizabeth Westby
1. Thomas Thursfield (b.18 Mar 1843-Birmingham Duke Street 4 court;m.13 Jul 1863)
2. Sarah Wyton (b.Cal 1813-Oxford)

HOPE THIS HELPS
I have just logged onto your message. Very interesting. There are several names there that relate to my closer family. But there is no doubt when I get time, I will see the connections to all the other Thursfield from Aston.
My father Norman was Born 1904 in Sutton.
I have also spoken to Pat. She is most helpful. She has even got a letter from an aunt of mine that she spoke to in the 1980s

Hi Keith

Hope this helps Gordon

ASTON
Thanks The Baron for posting this while I as trying to sort out my Mytton tree I did my in laws he's a Thursfield i got in touch with Pat through your posting she was absolutely brilliant and had my brother in law in her tree.

Hi...thanks for the information..(I am Susan too)sorry for late response..
I have just logged onto your message. Very interesting. There are several names there that relate to my closer family. But there is no doubt when I get time, I will see the connections to all the other Thursfield from Aston.
I have also spoken to Pat. She is most helpful. She has even got a letter from an aunt of mine that she spoke to in the 1980s

Hi...sorry I didnt reply to your email of last year!...life got in the way.
My Hand/s is my grandmother Evelyn,brother Roland and sister Ivy...cant remember anymore at the moment. Evelyn married my Grandfather William Thursfield...is this the same lot as you?

Not to worry, I've finished my brother in laws tree with thanks to Pat as she had him on her tree. Unfortunately the one person we would love to find I doubt we never will is Pete my brother in laws brother Stephen he was adopted at a young age and we have no details on this. Thanks for your reply.

Not to worry, I've finished my brother in laws tree with thanks to Pat as she had him on her tree. Unfortunately the one person we would love to find I doubt we never will is Pete my brother in laws brother Stephen he was adopted at a young age and we have no details on this. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for reply...dont give up on your quest because you never know...never say never!

Hi and thanks for the info. What does "cal" mean before the dates...got lots to catch up on now!

Back