• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thunderbolts

Burt2

Hi Folks this has nothing to do with Brum although I did work for David Charles Construction in the 70`s, I was about 19yrs old an apprentice for a company in St.Ives Cambridgeshire. It was a hot afternoon & thunder rolled around us but it was dry no rain, then small spherical transparent balls shot from the sky all around myself & my work mate. They hit the ground silently then flew of across the yard whilst all the time thunder rolled around above but no rain, my work mate said they where thunderballs yet I can find no information about them does anyone here know anything about them please?

Thanks for that suggestion but having actually seen ball lightening which was 1mtr in diameter glowing iridescent blue with fiery orange around the perimeter & hovered about 2mtr above the ground. The thunderbolts I witnessed were only 1" in diameter, transparent & came down from the sky as if very large raindrops in a deluge but it was dry no rain at all. When they hit the ground they caused dust on the ground to puff up as the balls flew off at angles across the ground.

Not sure what they are Burt B, are they like meteors or shooting stars? We went to meet my birth mother for the first time, on neutral ground, in Wales, every body was a bit on edge to say the least. We had been out for a meal and were walking up a lane, pitch black in the countryside and this ball of light whooshed overhead, a shooting star and landed in my 'new' uncle's field ahead of us. It got in the papers. I said that's my mum! I don't know whether she approved or not I guess maybe she did or it might have struck us. Mum had a good aim!

Not sure what they are Burt B, are they like meteors or shooting stars? We went to meet my birth mother for the first time, on neutral ground, in Wales, every body was a bit on edge to say the least. We had been out for a meal and were walking up a lane, pitch black in the countryside and this ball of light whooshed overhead, a shooting star and landed in my 'new' uncle's field ahead of us. It got in the papers. I said that's my mum! I don't know whether she approved or not I guess maybe she did or it might have struck us. Mum had a good aim!
Nice memory Nico, but the thunderbolts I experienced were really clear balls not unlike 1" diameter steel ball bearings which did not hit the ground with a clash or clatter but more of a whoosh throwing up the dust before flying across he ground in all directions; both my work mate & I experienced it so I know it happened it`s just strange nobody else has experienced the same phenomenon. Hope you wished on that shooting star Nico.

Back