• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Those who survived

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whilst we all remember with gratitude those who lost their lives for their country perhaps we should
also remember with gratitude all those who fought and came back broken men.
My maternal grandfather was gassed and suffered ill health and depression for years after he came back.
He struggled until WW11 started and it all became too much for him and he took his own life, another casualty of WW1.

Whilst we all remember with gratitude those who lost their lives for their country perhaps we should
also remember with gratitude all those who fought and came back broken men.
My maternal grandfather was gassed and suffered ill health and depression for years after he came back.
He struggled until WW11 started and it all became too much for him and he took his own life, another casualty of WW1.
My maternal grandfather lost a leg and also had injuries to the other. The only job he was able to get because of this was as a night watchman .
He died just before the 2nd World War from thrombosis, caused by his injuries. This left my Grandmother widowed twice with a young family.

yes lets not forget the wives and children left behind....my grandad gassed twice and suffered ill health after he returned home...died in 1938 aged 50 leaving our nan to bring up 3 young children...she never remarried and held down 3 jobs to make ends meet..

lyn

Last edited:
Back