• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Those were the Days my Friend

wallyb71

master brummie
When I was about 8or9 years old we lived on Alma Crescent in Vauxhall. We was lucky because we lived in the house faceing the street all the others were up the yard at the back. I remember there used to be a man up the street who kept pigs and we used to save all the potatoe peelings and cabbage leaves to take up to him and he would give me a small bag of candy which was a real treat. When I was 11 years old we moved to a brand new house in Kingstanding, this was in 1938, the war had started and at night everything was dark. All the kids used to play at night under the lamp post even though it wasn't lit. Boy!! we used to have some good times there in the dark., we used to play Kick the can to, Dureing the summer when the fruit was on the trees we used to go Scrumpin !!!. There used to be a small farm down by the Parson & Clark Pub that had apple trees in the back and we would climb over the fence and load up on apples. But when I was 14 the fun came to an end and I had to go to work and earn my keep.

Happy Days. Wally.

Dave, I wouldn't know where the 100 acre estate is I have been in the USA. since 1953 and over the years a lot has changed. I know that when I lived in Kingstanding there was a large field at the back of our houses we used to call the Common , I am told that there are houses all over it now. But down by the Parson & Clark there were only a few houses, and it was across the Chester Rd opposite the entrance to Sutton Park. We used to go in there on our bikes and ride around on the golf links.

Happy Days, Wally.

Back