• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thorpe Street

Carole. Court 9 thorpe St is shown on the map, on the north west side, south west of that large block, near the junction with the Horsefair. However, below is a map c 1950, when the court was still extant, which also shows the numbering, so , if you have the number in the court , you can plot its exact position.

View attachment 118614
Wow Mike, thanks so much! They were at number 6 which is clearly shown. Looks like they were close to the White Lion on the corner there. That would have been very handy for Grandad!

Last edited:
All I remember about Thorpe Street was that Royal Mail had a social club there. Was it the Drill Hall? One of the very few stars I've seen in the flesh was Ruby Murray in the 70's at the social club!

I am new to this site and noticed,the information about Thorpe Street.
Part of my family tree is of my late mother-in-law Clara Reed,she was married in Birmingham in 1934.
We found out recently that she had been married to a James.C.Butler in 1919 at Aston registry office, Ihave just applied for her marriage certificate,and although there was a bit of a postal strike i received it in 2 days, thanks to the quick turn round by the registry office,they must have processed it within the hour.(wonderfull service)
I dont know how Clara and Mr Butler arrived in Birmingham,they both came from Halifax,on her cert, she gave her address as Back 21 Thorpe street, Birmingham.(could this have been behind a shop ?)
She did mention working at the Kings Head. was there a Kings Head in Birmingham ?.Wendy on this forum has a Howell could this be a link.
Graham
Bit of an extremely late reply but, Back of 21 was No.4. It was a back to back house, one of 11 houses on the site, owned, I know in the 50's, by Davenports the brewery that was at the top of Holloway Head, next door to the then Accident Hospital. The houses were knocked down in 1960 and the area is now an outside sitting area for the White Lion Pub. I was born in 1950 at 4 back of 21 and my granddad lived in 21! There was and still is a Kings Head in Birmingham but the only I know would have/is quite a way from Thorp Street on the Hagley Road at the top of the Bearwood Road. Incidentally, as an aside Thorp Street is the only Road/Street, etc, in the country, that doesn't have an 'e' on the end. I have no idea why, or no way of knowing if that is true but, in my time there, residents were quite proud of that fact! ???
I can add tho' that in my 59 years since living there I have never lived anywhere with such a community spirit, everyone looked out for everyone else and many of the houses occupants were related to each other but just treated you as another relative. There were no closed doors, just a tap and in you went! Happy times, I guess I shared a house with Clara!

I wanted to bring this thread up again in case anyone has other pictures of Thorp St. and the the Lord Nelson Public House please!
rosie.
Hi Rosie
I know it's been a few years since you posted this, but wondered if you had any more info yet on the Lord Nelson pub? Thomas Pressdee was my 4th great grandfather! Unfortunately I've not been able to find any photos of the pub either.
Thanks Sara

Hi Sara,
I'm sorry there's no more more info on the Pub. Thomas was my husband's 2xgt grandfather and my 2xgt grandfather married his daughter!! Unfortunately Ann died in childbirth, he re-married otherwise I wouldn't be here, it's so complicated. Also My Grandmother was born there much later in 1900.
We can always hope something will turn up.
Best Wishes.
rosie

Hi Sara,
I'm sorry there's no more more info on the Pub. Thomas was my husband's 2xgt grandfather and my 2xgt grandfather married his daughter!! Unfortunately Ann died in childbirth, he re-married otherwise I wouldn't be here, it's so complicated. Also My Grandmother was born there much later in 1900.
We can always hope something will turn up.
Best Wishes.
rosie
Hi Rosie
Thanks for the info. It's such a shame there's nothing more about the pub. That's sad about Ann, although as you said, you wouldn't be here if it hadn't have happened! I descend from Thomas's daughter, Mary Ann who married Henry Tysall. It's weird to think I'm related to your husband!
Fingers crossed something will turn up about the Lord Nelson.
Best wishes Sara

Hi Sara,
Yes it's a strange feeling knowing you are related!
One consolation is that although there no photos at least we have some super maps as provided by Mikegee. Thanks Mike!! They are on other threads, have you found them? It was opposite the Barracks, now it's the Ballet, I have been to the spot and that felt strange too!!
Best wishes,
rosie.

Hi Rosie
Yes, I've seen the maps Mikegee has put on, they're great!
I went to the Back to Backs nearby but it was before I found out about Thomas.
Thanks again
Sara

I used to work at the white lion in the early 1970s for 3 years , I'm sure the celler was haunted I used to strange noises down there when I was stock taking. I used to pop over to the British legion on a Saturday night although not a member I knew the people in there.

There were two entrances to the white lion pub at the front where the posh part was, many people off the telly would drink in there. A small outdoor was also on the front which was very busy at the weekend. The third entrance was around the corner where the less posh and o caps from the flats would drink they even had a very good darts team I used to call it the Irish bar... Over the other side of the road was the British legion which was very busy after the pub closed.

Back