• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thorpe Street

Hi Rosie

I bet the Charlesworth's often had a brew served by your family :)
Do you have further info about The Lord Nelson ?

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris

I don't know anything about the building, I can't find pictures unfortunately. Thomas Pressdee, the publican in the late 1800's was also a relative. It must have been popular with the soldiers at the Drill Hall too!!

rosie

I expect it was popular with my gt.grandparents too - they lived at 10 Thorpe St - there census's 1861/71.
Sheri

I have happy memories of Thorpe Street, but when I was in the Army Cadets it was known as Thorpe St Drill hall, a big TA and ACF Band depot, where if there was any Marching through Brum you started from there and also all transport to, any W/E or week's, camps started from there. I was always told that the troops for the 1914 and 1940 BEF's from the Birmingham area also started from there.
paul

Hi. I have a question for the forum. Dose anybody recall the Nock family Bill and Sarah. Also Gwen and Bill Sewell..
Look forward to some replies.
Bobby.

Hi Debs, just found your post,i am researching Nicholls too. My maternal Grandfather William John Nicholls married Elizabeth Crutchley in Birmingham 1918. My father signed on for WW11 at Thorp Street Barracks and went from there in a lorry to Enville Hall,South Staffs for training.Angela

I'm still hoping for pictures of Thorp Street as many members of my family were there over the years, at The Lord Nelson Pub. Nan Was born there in 1900, and Thomas Pressdee was there for many years.
I'm not sure when it was demolished, "The Ballet" is now where is originally was. It was opposite the Barracks, the frontage of which is still there but it's a car park now!.
rosie.

Re: Thorp Street

These are the only photos of Thorpe Street that I have, sorry I cant help with the Lord Nelson.

Attachments

• City Thorpe St - Horse Fair 1955.JPG
    City Thorpe St - Horse Fair 1955.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 108
  • City Thorpe St Queuing for a Christmas Dinner 1935 .jpg
    City Thorpe St Queuing for a Christmas Dinner 1935 .jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 103
  • City Thorpe st.JPG
    City Thorpe st.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 108
Re: Thorp Street

Thank you so much Phil! They are lovely!
The second is opposite The Lord Nelson as this is a queue outside the Barracks, this frontage still exists. The third shows the end of the queue and is on the correct side but up the hill.
I hope it will be OK to save them.
Thanks again,
rosie.

Thanks John, I hadn't noticed the plaque before. I'm glad at least the front of the building was saved.
rosie.

thanks for the pic john...i had a chance to take a better look at the old barracks not long back...chances are many of our rellies enlisted there...

cheers

lyn

Hi john bev,,
There was a little guy whom was a cook at Thorpe. Street his name was Sidney Hanson
He was there for years and done the camps when they was out on training exercise and things
He lived in Aberdeen street Winston green but prior to that I think he lived in those little old houses in. Bagot street
He married a lady named Anne she was a scouser and he worked at Saltley gas works for most of his life
Obvisiouly said as passed over now its been near on forty years or more I last seen him up Northfield
With his daughters he was old then his daughters was carol , Susan , and. Shirley ,,,and a son called Norman
I went with him to Thorpe street area times and a Christmas party one year he was military through and through
Best wishes astonian,,,,,,,

I wanted to bring this thread up again in case anyone has other pictures of Thorp St. and the the Lord Nelson Public House please!
rosie.

Yes Wendy, it was for a long time a barracks. I am glad they saved some of the brickwork.I was last there in the early sixties, when they still had the drill hall, garages, armoury complete with underground shooting range.

It was the same one as the drill hall / barracks. No 19 Thorpe St was on the northern side, the same side as the drill hall on the map below. No 27 was the pub on the corner (The White Lion) and the numbers ran downwards approximately consecutively to the right, so it was probably the next or the next but one to the drill hall on the same side as the pub.
mike

map_thorpe_st_c_1889_no_19~1.jpg
Hello Mike Just found your map of Hurst Street. My grandfather lived there in 1930 with his "fancy woman's" family the Freedman's who had been there since at least 1922. My grandfather was a bit of a lad! Anyway, they lived at Court 9, and despite enlarging it, I can't identify where on this map this was, and I wonder if you know? With many thanks and hoping to hear from you. Carole

Carole
Are you sure you mean Hurst St and not Thorpe St, as the electoral rolls for 1922 show Abraham Freedman at 6.court 9 Thorpe St

Carole
Are you sure you mean Hurst St and not Thorpe St, as the electoral rolls for 1922 show Abraham Freedman at 6.court 9 Thorpe St
Yes Mike, thanks it was Thorp Street. I was burning the midnight oil again when I wrote that and got in a muddle! I think they must have lived close to where the Back to Backs is now? The 1928 and 1930 electoral rolls show that my grandfather James Price was living there with Abraham and Rose Freedman and their daughter Rebecca Silverman. The 1939 Register shows James Price and Rebecca Silverman still living there, by this time Abraham and Rose had died. The 1945 electoral roll shows James and Rebecca living at 127 Trescott Road, Northfield. I wonder if you know if perhaps the houses in Thorp Street were demolished between 1939 and 1945 causing them to move? Many thanks for your reply and for taking the time to look up the electoral roll. Look forward to hearing from you.

Carole. Court 9 thorpe St is shown on the map, on the north west side, south west of that large block, near the junction with the Horsefair. However, below is a map c 1950, when the court was still extant, which also shows the numbering, so , if you have the number in the court , you can plot its exact position.

map c 1950 showing court 9 thorpe st.jpg

Back