• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thornton Road Junior School

L

linett

I wonder if anyone remembers being taught by either a Miss Dorothy (Dorrie) Petherick or a Mr Francis John Petherick in Birmingham between 1930 -1960?

Iam trying to piece together the careers of both my Great Aunt and Grandfather who both went on to become Headteachers within the city

Between 1949 and 1959 my grandfather was head of Thornton Road and his sister was Head of a school over Harborne way when she retired but where were they before that?

Im interested in any information/memories about them ...I know they were both rather formidable characters and both over 6' tall!!

According to the electoral roll,
Francis John and Florence Beatrice Petherick were at 343 Ridgeacre Lane in 1930, and 66 Blakesley Road in 1935 and 1939. Dorothy Mary Petherick was at 44 Stirling Road in 1930 and 281 Barnes Hill in 1939. She is not mentioned in 1935.

I went to Thornton Road School until summer 1950 and I just about remember Mr Petherick. The previous headmaster was a Mr Hall and he must have retired the summer before, so I was only in his charge for twelve months or so.
I'm afraid that the only thing I can recall of him was that he was, as you say, very tall and, if I'm not mistaken, very slim, too.

Thanks Lloyd shavedfish49 and dav19390 for your info.

The link to a photo of my grandfather on Friends Reunitied has proved useful and Im now intouch with the owner of the picture who has been kind enough to send me a copy.
I can add to the caption 'Mr Petherick and the secretary enjoying their sandwiches' ......The secretary was in fact Mrs Petherick (Formerly Mrs Olive Siminson) my grandfathers 2nd wife they were married in 1952!

anymore info anyone??

Hi VIV
Nice viv i also have that picture i was in two minds the other night to put it up
but i thought different as i was looking at it in stead i put GEC Photograhs instead
if we are reading out of the same bible i think i have the actual photo as well meaning the whole class of them
so i i am correct what i am thinking i will take a look this morning and check to see if i still have it
Have a nice day viv , best wishes Alan Astonian,,,,

My Husband went to Thornton Road school from 1951-1955 and remembers the Teachers.
Class 1/1 Miss Francis.
2/1 Mrs Rouse.
3/1 Mr Field.
4/1 Mr Field (retired) then Mr Force.

My husband lived opposite the school in St. Agathas Road

I went to Thornton Road Junior School around the early 60's so a bit later on. We lived on the Washward Heath Road so it wasn't far to go for me. Some of my classmates were Robert Green, Barbara Cox who had an elder sister Gwyneth, Marion Stirling, Cheryl ? and the twins Stella and Mary Myatt
I think one of the teachers was Mr Bailey who used to throw chalk at you and gave you the pump if you misbehaved. Remember there was a girls playground and a boys playground and the bit in the middle was mixed. If anyone remembers me it would be interesting to hear from you.

Hi - i was at Thornton Rd Juniors from 1964-1968. I was Linda George and loved playing skittleball in the centre playground. Best friend Lynne Melen - both still great friends 55 years later, both living in Norfolk. I remember miss Devonald was Headteacher, mr Baylie might have been my year 6 teacher, we all had to remember one hard part of a times table - 7x 8 is 56!!!! Great times

Thornton Road Junior School 1953 - Coronation celebration tea. Viv.

View attachment 112939
What a very lovely photo. My mum was at Thornton Road in the 1940s war years. She has such happy memories of a wonderful teacher Mr Dallow who she found so inspirational. Does anyone else remember him, perhaps have photos of him or the school at that time? My mum is Frances Heron. Thank you.

I
I went to Thornton Road Junior School around the early 60's so a bit later on. We lived on the Washward Heath Road so it wasn't far to go for me. Some of my classmates were Robert Green, Barbara Cox who had an elder sister Gwyneth, Marion Stirling, Cheryl ? and the twins Stella and Mary Myatt
I think one of the teachers was Mr Bailey who used to throw chalk at you and gave you the pump if you misbehaved. Remember there was a girls playground and a boys playground and the bit in the middle was mixed. If anyone remembers me it would be interesting to hear from you.
I went to Thornton rd in the late sixties I was in Mr Baileys class thats why I'm so good at times tables.
I lived in St Agathas rd and was best friends with Kay Entwistle my name was Christine Bowden.

Back