• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thornley & Knight Ltd Bordesley Green Rd

Hi Mike,

Here a later photo of Thornley & Knight taken in 1956 and you can see where it was located on Bordesley Green Rd.
The black car is a 1939 Standard 8, owned by the Varnish Dept. foreman, Jimmy Woodyatt. The white car is a Riley and owned by the company Works Manager, Ted Evans. The photo was from the mid 50's.

Last edited:
Hi Icarus, I worked at Croda Paints from 1979 to 1982. Loved every minute. I started as office junior in the order office, Len Hill was my boss. Then I worked on the switchboard in reception, then ended up as typist in the advertising dept with Muriel Green. One year i assisted on the Croda stand at the Motor Show at the NEC. I have good memories of my time there.well
Hi Jackie. I remember you very well. Len Hill controlled town orders and Fred Williams the country orders but I think Fred had retired by the time you arrived there. The buying office was moved from the front of the warehouse (which became general stores) and amalgamated in the order office run by Peter Bell. I was the Varnish Dept foreman for many years but this was closed as everything wound down. Peter Bell had to retire through illness and I moved into his job until factory closure. I hope you are keeping well.

Icarus
Re.The Royal coaches and cars were too, for at least 100 years, Dave M.

I worked in the invoice department 1965 to 1967, the manager was Mrs Mason. Started at the age of 15 years as a Junior, the office was situated at the front of the building next to the entrance steps leading to reception. I remember having to go to the canteen on the first floor to fetch tea and toast for break time. Opposite T&K was Bordesley Green Tech School and Hughes Biscuit Factory and next door was Arthur Holder paint factory. Your comment brought back memory of my first venture into Export shipping, as the Queen was on a visit to Australia and we had an urgent request to ship a Quart tin of the unique coloured paint that was used on the Royal cars out to Australia urgently as somebody had scratched the Royal car. I worked closely with the Sales office but I can not remember their names now.
Do you recall anybody from the Invoice/Sales offices around 1965?
Hi Overs. I remember Mrs Mason and think her daughter worked with her too as they always seemed to arrive together. The sales manager's name during your time would have been Phil Scott. I took his retirement photos. He was replaced by Alan Surch. I'm sure you would remember Joan Foden too. She ran the wages office and Muriel Green who headed advertising. Hope you are keeping well.

Hi Jackie. I remember you very well. Len Hill controlled town orders and Fred Williams the country orders but I think Fred had retired by the time you arrived there. The buying office was moved from the front of the warehouse (which became general stores) and amalgamated in the order office run by Peter Bell. I was the Varnish Dept foreman for many years but this was closed as everything wound down. Peter Bell had to retire through illness and I moved into his job until factory closure. I hope you are keeping well.
Hi again Icarus, what's is your name? I remember a lot of people from Croda but am struggling to place you! I know Peter Bell struggled terribly with Arthritis, I also remember Mike who worked in his office. I'd love to know how my former colleagues are doing. A few years back I spoke to Andy William's on Facebook....he lives and works in Denmark. Also Barbara and Mick Murphy are doing ok. Hope you are keeping well too

Hi Mikejee. Although related to the same family, their businesses were not connected. Nice photo though.

I own an embossed bronze plaque of Samule Kerr Thornley who was the last director at Thornley & Knight.
This item is 18 inches diameter and was used as a wall plaque but currently is in my garage gathering dust.

Attachments

• IMG_20230214_125533.jpg
    IMG_20230214_125533.jpg
    637.6 KB · Views: 3
Hi Mike,

Here a later photo of Thornley & Knight taken in 1956 and you can see where it was located on Bordesley Green Rd.

Across from Thornley & Knight was a piece of land, it may have been a peck. I rode cycle speedway on the track that was on that land. I got into an accident during a race and cut my leg pretty badly. I went across the road to Thornley & Knight where they stitched my leg in the first aid room.
Dave A

I always used to go to T & Ks for Tekaloid to paint my old bangers. It was wonderful stuff and you could never see a brush mark. Folk always thought I had sprayed the cars.
All the Birmingham buses were hand painted using Tekaloid

I always used to go to T & Ks for Tekaloid to paint my old bangers. It was wonderful stuff and you could never see a brush mark. Folk always thought I had sprayed the cars.
All the Birmingham buses were hand painted using Tekaloid

Excellent finish with Tekaloid

Anyone from T&K remember a Darryl Desont (probably spelt wrong) around early 1970's? Had a red Cortina Mk2 GT.

Are these people from Thornley & Knight. I only recognize the ladynon the left, but, I don't remember her name.girls T &K.jpg

Back