• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thomas Mills

No worries, with so many dates flying around it's easy to mix them up, we've all done it. Just got to be careful they don't lead you on a wild goose chase.

Here is your Mills line...

Thomas Alfred Mills (b1937 Bham)

Thomas Alfred Mills (b1904 Bham) &Kathleen Bohanna

Joseph Mills (b1867 Studley) & Caroline Vale

Joseph Mills (b1845 Crabbs Cross) & Elizabeth Hollier

John Henry Mills (b1822 Feckenham) & Harriet Hewitt

Joseph Mills (b1794ish Feckenham) & Mary Fowkes (?)

Yes, I suppose they both could be illegitimate, probably correct

Your big mystery is Kathleen Bohanna.

Janice mentioned (post #21) that Bohanna could be Scottish, so if this is the case and she had family there then some of the children could have been born there, they do seem to travel around. There is a gap between the birth of your father in 1937 and the birth of Jean in 1944 when a number of children could have been born.

Have you seen the marriage certificate of Thomas & Kathleen and why were your father and Margaret sent to Bolton?

You're a little confused there. Barbara married Albert T Green in 1952. They are living in Ingleby Road in 1965 at the same time as Thomas Alfred & Kathleen.

I don't know where they are between 1952 and 1965. Electoral rolls give no further details so though it seems likely that Barbara is their daughter it is not certain.

If she is their daughter then a marriage year of 1952 would suggest (unless she was illegitimate like Sheila) a birth year between 1928 & 1936.
1962 e roll has just Thomas and Kathleen at the Ingleby Street address.

No worries, with so many dates flying around it's easy to mix them up, we've all done it. Just got to be careful they don't lead you on a wild goose chase.

Here is your Mills line...

Thomas Alfred Mills (b1937 Bham)

Thomas Alfred Mills (b1904 Bham) &Kathleen Bohanna

Joseph Mills (b1867 Studley) & Caroline Vale

Joseph Mills (b1845 Crabbs Cross) & Elizabeth Hollier

John Henry Mills (b1822 Feckenham) & Harriet Hewitt

Joseph Mills (b1794ish Feckenham) & Mary Fowkes (?)
Wow !! I’m overwhelmed by your findings, I cannot thank you enough, my dad would be so pleased and happy with the process you had kindly found for me ♥️

Your big mystery is Kathleen Bohanna.

Janice mentioned (post #21) that Bohanna could be Scottish, so if this is the case and she had family there then some of the children could have been born there, they do seem to travel around. There is a gap between the birth of your father in 1937 and the birth of Jean in 1944 when a number of children could have been born.

Have you seen the marriage certificate of Thomas & Kathleen and why were your father and Margaret sent to Bolton?
My father and Margaret were evacuated to the country and this was Bolton I believe because they were children then during the war. Margaret was Dad’s older sister that’s why they went together, she looked after him. With regards a marriage certificate, no I don’t have one but would love to obtain one, if it exists.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
This is the marriage info - page 862
1619881311091.png
Certificates can be ordered from the GRO - you need to register but that bit is free. Be warned getting certs can be addictive and expensive.
click here for GRO

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
My father and Margaret were evacuated to the country and this was Bolton I believe because they were children then during the war. Margaret was Dad’s older sister that’s why they went together, she looked after him. With regards a marriage certificate, no I don’t have one but would love to obtain one, if it exists.
I also believe all of the children were placed in the country during the war, and I remember my dad saying not all of them were returned to Thomas and Kathleen, possibly due to rationing at that time, and money was very tight

Kathleen Mary Mills formerly Bohann on Dad’s birth certificate, date Dad’s birth was registered, and address registered from was 3 Anderton Street Birmingham

I thought they might been sent to Bolton to live with family.

On the 1939 register there is one closed record with Thomas & Kathleen in Camden which would imply that they had one child with them. And as we know Sheila got married in London in 1944 it could well have been her.

Dad did say they both parents come from London, this above information is more than likely to be correct, Amazing.

Hi Lyn, I’ve only got this address on my dads birth certificate, so unsure!! Sorry
ok i suspect it could be the anderton road in ladywood if you ever find out for certain i have posted lots of pre demo photos of this street on the anderton road ladywood thread

lyn

Back