• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas, Marston Hall

P

Papawatkins

I'm trying to find descendants of my grandfather's brother, hoping they will be able to shed some light on a family story I'm trying to verify.

My grandfather's brother was Archibald Percy Thomas born circa 1892, and he worked at one time (around 1930s) as a Chief Designer at Bendix Perrot Brakes Ltd, Tysley. He lived at Marston Hall in Marston Green. I believe one of his sons was Alan Philip Lawless Thomas, who had an engineering firm, A and L Thomas Engineers (Birmingham) Ltd, at Warwick Road, Solihull. I'm not sure how long the company was in existence, but it was active in 1949.

The last address I have for the son, Alan Thomas, is also Marston Hall, and this was demolished to make way for the runway at Birmingham Airport.

I would be grateful for any help.

loisand

master brummie
Hopefully I have attached a photo of Marston Hall...
Is your Archibald Percy Thomas this one....born June 1891 Merthyr Tidvil 11a 621 :)

P

Papawatkins

Thank you for the photograph loisand. Yes, that'll be the the Archibald. He was born in the village of Deri, but the registration district would have been Merthyr Tydfil.

bren

master brummie
Hi papa

This is what i have found

Marriage --
Archibald P Thomas/Maria R Lawless 1st qtr 1916 Birmingham 6d 616

Looks like they had just two sons --

Alan P L Thomas 3rd qtr 1917 Aston 6d 647
Charles L Thomas 4th qtr 1924 Birmingham S 6d 85

Mothers maiden name Lawless

bren

Last edited:

bren

master brummie
Marriages --

Alan P L Thomas/Monica J Marks 1st qtr 1948 Meriden 9c 1957
Charles L Thomas/Mollie P Maker 3rd qtr 1948 Meriden 9c 2367

There was a few Charles L Thomas marriages but this was the only one in Meriden and would seem the most likely.

bren

bren

master brummie
Births --

Jennifer Ja Thomas, mmn Marks, 3rd qtr 1948 Meriden 9c 1422

Ja ??, as it is in records.

Found another that could be a possible if they moved

Carol J C Thomas, mmn Marks, 1st qtr 1951 Stratford 9c 1588

Juliana J L Thomas, mmn Maker, 2nd qtr 1949 Birmingham 9c 592
Helen P L Thomas, mn Maker, 4th qtr 1951 Solihull 9c 1337

bren

bren

master brummie
Hi papa

Have sent you an Instant Message, look at "Notifications, top right of header

bren

P

Papawatkins

Hi bren,

That's fantastic. Many, many thanks. Fingers crossed!

J

jimbat

I'm trying to find descendants of my grandfather's brother, hoping they will be able to shed some light on a family story I'm trying to verify.

My grandfather's brother was Archibald Percy Thomas born circa 1892, and he worked at one time (around 1930s) as a Chief Designer at Bendix Perrot Brakes Ltd, Tysley. He lived at Marston Hall in Marston Green. I believe one of his sons was Alan Philip Lawless Thomas, who had an engineering firm, A and L Thomas Engineers (Birmingham) Ltd, at Warwick Road, Solihull. I'm not sure how long the company was in existence, but it was active in 1949.

The last address I have for the son, Alan Thomas, is also Marston Hall, and this was demolished to make way for the runway at Birmingham Airport.

I would be grateful for any help.
Pappa

Alan THOMAS was married to Monica [ nee Marks or Marx ] they had two daughters the elder by approx 18 months being Jennifer Jane THOMAS and Carole Joan Charmain THOMAS born 21 Feb 1951 ?
Alan was an engineer who designed and manufactured multi spindle drilling machines. After his death his wife moved to Hesketh Cresent Torquay she owned a flat in the same complex as the Osborne Hotel.
Carole went to Marston Green Junior School [ a get together was organised by past students in 2003 she was present] then she attended Kingshurst High School for Girls.
She is qualified as a teacher and she went to South Africa in 1975 then to Rhodesia in 1976 and left to go back to Birmingham in 1980 just after Magabe took control. I Knew Carole from our school days till she went back to the UK a period of approx 18 years. I beleive she never married ?
Carole was teaching and lived in the Coleshill area last I heard of her
I reamember the Hall quite well, surounded by a stone wall, farm buildings on the left, the railway line on the right and its own airraid shelter just outside the side gate on the right hand side.
The Hall had its own Poltergeist things would move and a window shutter at the rear of the house would sometimes open..the top floor of the house had been closed off

Well i hope you will be a little wiser on your family

Jimbat

P

Papawatkins

That's brilliant, Jimbat. Many thanks. I have hopefully located Carole from the information you have given me. Fingers crossed!

Papawatkins

lindahill

Hi, Just discovered this site - Carole & I went to school together, and I stayed at Marston Hall quite a few times over the years. I am trying to contact Jimbat, do you have an email address for him?

pat barfoot

I was a friend of Jenny Thomas in London in the sixties it would be great to contact her if anyone knows it would be great to hear from her many thanks greentaxi. at the time she lived in cricklewood with other students we used to go to the cromwellian club email [email protected]

Sbrowne

I found your name by chance on this site as its fifty years since we started at NRCE and was looking around for old memories !!!
I have never forgotten you and have always thought about you. I know our relationship was turbulent to say the least !!! But we did enjoy an intense relationship which is why I have never forgotten you. I've still got that Joni Mitchell album Blue you bought me with the message you wrote inside.
Did you find happiness in life or maybe that's not my business!!!
If you want to contact me via private message system..envelope top right of the page.
If you don't that's ok I understand.
I am not suggesting we meet up but would like to know how you are.
Time is ticking away in our lives and I find myself looking black to past memories increasingly.
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Morturn

Super Moderator
Good morning Sbrowne We advise people not to show their personal email address on a public forum. There are a lot of search bot that look for emails addresses to harvest then bombard them with spam emails or even worst identity theft.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks mort just to add to morts advise steve...if anyone wishes to contact you on a personal matter we always suggest they do so by using our private message system..envelope top right of the page

lyn

Carole Thomas

I found your name by chance on this site as its fifty years since we started at NRCE and was looking around for old memories !!!
I have never forgotten you and have always thought about you. I know our relationship was turbulent to say the least !!! But we did enjoy an intense relationship which is why I have never forgotten you. I've still got that Joni Mitchell album Blue you bought me with the message you wrote inside.
Did you find happiness in life or maybe that's not my business!!!
If you want to contact me via private message system..envelope top right of the page.
If you don't that's ok I understand.
I am not suggesting we meet up but would like to know how you are.
Time is ticking away in our lives and I find myself looking black to past memories increasingly.
Steve
Hi Steve
I have sent you a message in reply.
Carole