• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Hanson brewer

Boster

Hello good evening.
During my research of the Hanson family, mainly based in Birmingham and surrounding areas, I have found a Thomas Hanson (b 1840) married Elizabeth Ann Williams (b 1841). I have found a couple of death entries which both say Thomas was a retail brewer. The one of interest has a Elizabeth Hanson as a widow (good!), but died in Lawley Street, Birmingham, in 1896.

Would anyone know of what pubs etc, were in or around that area of Lawley Street at all please? To mix it up a bit, one death entry has a Thomas Hanson of Lee Bank Road, Birmingham as well but no mention of Elizabeth!

I would be most grateful of any help you could give me please.

Thomas appears to be living on Lee Bank Road on the 1891 census with Elizabeth and 4 sons, an iron plate worker. So I'd assume that the 1892 death would be his.

The Thomas Hanson of Lawley Street appears to be about 20 years older. He also had a wife named Elizabeth and in 1891 he is publican at the Midland Tavern (no. 233).

Both Thomas and Elizabeth Ann (1896) were possibly buried at Witton.

Last edited:
thomas is listed in directories from at least 1888 till 1895 as a beer retailer at 235 Lawley St. This, as shown below during a court case, was the Midland Railway Tavern . It is shown on the 1880s map below

Hanson, birm mail.12.5.1890.jpgmap 1880s showing Midland Railway tavern.jpg

Back