• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thomas Green - Cordwainer - Shoe Maker

jjuj

master brummie
Could some tell me if Thomas Green was listed as a cordwainer - master shoemaker - shoemaker Birmingham. I have this as his occupation between 1851 -1891.
Thank you Jean :)

Have you any further details. In 1849 there were two Thomas Greens that would fit:
Green Thos, boot & shoemaker, 80 Bath St
Green Thos, shoemaker 63 St Georges St
In 1855 there is only :
Green Thos, wholesale boot & shoe manufact., 80 Bath St
In 1858;
Green Thos, wholesale boot & shoe manufact., 80 Bath St
Green Thos,, shoemaker, 114, Livery at
Green Thos., shoemaker, 239, Newtown row
Mike

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't, except he lived in belgrave street kings norton [1851]
fish lane 1861. tennant street in 1871/1881

On the 1891 census that was taken on the 5th April Thomas was not employed at aged 68 so may not have been employed in 1890 either. He and wife Hannah were living with Alfred Green and family.
Cen 1891
Birmingham
Ecclesiastical Parishof St Cuthberts
Living at237 Heath St
GREEN Thomas Boardr M M 68 Shoe Maker(Notem) Staffordshire - Harborne
GREEN Hannah Boardr M F 66 Gloucestershire - Gloucester
GREEN Elizabeth Boardr S F 37 Pen Grinder(Em'ee) Staffordshire - Harborne

On the 1891 census that was taken on the 5th April Thomas was not employed at aged 68 so may not have been employed in 1890 either. He and wife Hannah were living with Alfred Green and family.
Cen 1891
Birmingham
Ecclesiastical Parishof St Cuthberts
Living at237 Heath St
GREEN Thomas Boardr M M 68 Shoe Maker(Notem) Staffordshire - Harborne
GREEN Hannah Boardr M F 66 Gloucestershire - Gloucester
GREEN Elizabeth Boardr S F 37 Pen Grinder(Em'ee) Staffordshire - Harborne

Thanks you for that. I missed that he was not working!!! How do you read a notem in a census? I have seen these with other ancesters, but have not been able to work it out.
Jean

I don’t know if you have noticed, but, further down Fish lane from Thomas (master shoemaker) in 1861 there is Thomas Green, cordwainer. Joseph is 19 years older, and I would guess is probably Thomas’s father. Joseph is listed in the 1862 directory, and likely Thomas, who is not listed, worked for him. In 1867 neither is listed, but in 1868 Joseph is a bootmaker at High st Harborne , later moving to York road. Cannot find a listing of Thomas, and it does seem as if he always worked for someone else
Mike

I don’t know if you have noticed, but, further down Fish lane from Thomas (master shoemaker) in 1861 there is Thomas Green, cordwainer. Joseph is 19 years older, and I would guess is probably Thomas’s father. Joseph is listed in the 1862 directory, and likely Thomas, who is not listed, worked for him. In 1867 neither is listed, but in 1868 Joseph is a bootmaker at High st Harborne , later moving to York road. Cannot find a listing of Thomas, and it does seem as if he always worked for someone else
Mike

Wow Mike, No I have not noticed that!! I have not been able to find a birth for Thomas as of yet. I will in future take more notice when looking at the censuses. I am still stuck on my G G grandfather William, son of Thomas. I have spent a fortune in birth certs for him, and now the GRO says they cannot find him, even with all the extra details I have given them. At least this last time I got a refund!! It would be wonderful if Joseph turns out to be Thomas's father. I am going to look at Fish Lane again now. Thank you so much for all your help.
Jean

Probably nothing but, although the directories do not list no 23 tennant st around 1870-80, they do show another Green , a butcher , seven doors away at no 16, and at no 14 a bootmaker , Thomas Forrest. Possibly he worked for Mr Forrest
Mike

Just in case it is of any interest Fish Lane is still there, although it is now called Greys Road. My gt grandfather was born there, so I queried the address with the Harborne Historical Society.

Re: Thomas Green -

Hi all - i'm back again :wave:
I am still stuck. Have not found a birth for thomas green b abt 1824 harborne, so i thought i would try to find a death!! He was 68 in the 1891 census living with his son Alfred & family and neither he or Hannah appear in 1901 censuses. I think I may have found a death for hannah b 1825 in 1899 age 71 [6d 169] but the age is 3 years out. I cannot find an entry for thomas which comes close to his age. I'm assuming they both died between 1891-1901:rolleyes: I would really appreciate any advice.

Jea
n

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Thomas Green -

Hi Jean, don't worry about the age being wrong, I have death certificates with as much as ten years in differnce, but they are the correct ones. If you come to purchase that certificate,. it might be more useful getting it from the Birmingham Register Office by letter, then you can make sure you give full details, and if it is not the right one, then you won't have wasted any money. Thomas may not have died by 1901, he might just be missing from the census, which did happen. I have one of my family missing from the 1861, 1871, 1881, but turns up in London in 1891 having married in 1882. Where he was is anyone's guess. Try looking for Thomas's death after 1901 first, and take it from there.

Shortie

Back